Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, well I was wondering where I could find a nice, waterproof car cover for my girlfriends car, her car sits outside and gets sprinkled on by her sprinklers every night, and the water is filled with minerals so no matter how clean her car is, or even how much wax it has on it, the next morning it is covered in mineral deposits and water spots, anyone know a good and relatively cheap car cover that I could purchase for her?
    2003 Oxford White Mach 1

Mods: JLT RAI, DiabloSport Predator, Drag radials,MagnaFlow O/R X, Magnaflow Catback

12.82 @ 105.8 :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about cheap but The California Car Cover Company probably makes the best covers in the market. The "Noah" is their waterproof cover.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    "Good" and "cheap" don`t necessarily go together for car covers. Make sure you get a breathable one and one that fits right- otherwise it can damage the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that car covers should not be used outside (IMHO). Especially by Autopian standards. It is certain to cause marring and do more harm good. I`d park the car down the street before putting a cover on it.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I think that car covers should not be used outside (IMHO). Especially by Autopian standards. It is certain to cause marring and do more harm good. I`d park the car down the street before putting a cover on it.

every stentence either confuses me, or contradicts eachother. what are you tryign to say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gopedhead
    every stentence either confuses me, or contradicts eachother. what are you tryign to say?

If you put a cover on a vehicle, it has to be totally 100% clean(just washed) or any dust particles will be rubbed into the paint from the car cover. Most covers allow water and dirt to be passed through the cover and onto the finish. If you cover your car and it happens to rain over night, dirt, (from rain water) will be marring your paint every time the wind blows or when you remover the cover. I`ve never seen a cover that was totally water repellant that didn`t do that. If there is such a cover(there might be), you would have to atleast wash your car every night right before you cover it and hope that the wind doesn`t blow any sand, or micor particles up behind the cover & wedge itself between the cover and your finish. That`s a lot of work and instead(if it were me) I would much rather park my car away from the sprinklers instead go through this inadequate proceedure every time the sprinkler goes off.

Could the sprinkler be timed to go off when the car isn`t there??
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    i hate sprinkelers. ijsut washed my car yesterday, parked my car across the street and forgot about my neighbors stupid sprinklers and now it has depostis everywhere! i was ready to knock his teeth out. lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the good option that one can consider - Covercraft. They have loads of options to choose from and it will give you exact measurement for your customized order, because most important thing for your car cover is, it should fit to your car very accurately, otherwise it will be no use of getting the waterproof car cover. Also it should be breathable and 100% water resistance. I have heard many bad stories, like they have got he waterproof covers at cheaper price and they still find the water even after applying water proof one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the angst about sprinklers, but a sprinkler that is hitting parked cars is either defective, poorly installed, or not adjusted properly.

Take your pick of the above.

I`m not mechanically inclined, but if I lived somewhere where sprinklers are a problem, I would either take care of the problem (my own home), or make sure maintenance takes care of it (rent, managed property, someone else installed it, etc.).

I am still on the fence about car covers myself. I can see where they can keep the weather off the vehicle, but I can also see where they can mar the finish. I debated about getting one when I put my "play car" away for the winter, but since it was well-prepped, I passed, figuring I can wash off the garage dust pretty easily come March.

Sorry to muddy the waters!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    If you put a cover on a vehicle, it has to be totally 100% clean(just washed) or any dust particles will be rubbed into the paint from the car cover.

That makes sense, but sometimes, we`ll need to park our car outside under trees. There`s no good way around it for our house and our neighborhood.

When choosing between the lesser of two evils, isn`t it better to put the (imperfect) cover on (an unwashed) car than to leave it unprotected under trees?

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a point wumpus. Maybe I will choose the imperfect car covers rather than leave it out there without any protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    The tough thing about car covers is that while they can mostly be waterproof, it still might end up letting water in and if it sits, it could damage your paint job. I wanted to respond and bump this because it`s important to fully understand how high end covers work compared to cheap ones. I found a lot of use out of this guide: What Are The Best Car Covers? How Car Covers Are Made - Product Benefits & Install Tips

Thread Information