Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I have a 99 Purple Prowler which is left outsde with an Evolution 4 car cover and with a tarp over the cover. I took both off only to discover a large stain, milky-colored (about the 15" diameter)on the hood. I brought to a detailer who attempted to buff it out, without luck. I then brought it to a body shop, who has rarely seen this, but talked about the stain baking through and possibly attacking the clear coat, and would need to refinish the hood. Any ideas on commercially available cleaners I can try before going through this hassle and expense? Any suggestions are welcome! Here is the url for the pictures:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/IMG_1221.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/IMG_1220.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/IMG_1219.jpg

Thanks,

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    It would really help if you had some pictures. Can you feel the stain? Is is raised, lowered, rougher than the un-stained area? Also, the Evolution covers are breathable, if the tarp you had on top was not, that is probably not the best practice. Some members here use combinations of two car covers, with both I believe being breathable, perhaps they will chime in (Bill D, where are you?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. My pics are to `large` to attach. If I can send them to via e-mail I would be happy to. Please send me your e-mail. Appreciate your help.

Best,

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen this exact condition previously. It appears the moisture has somehow permanently damaged the paint. I thought it would go away but I saw the car several months later (he ceased using the car cover) but the white "cloud" was still there, pretty much unchanged.

(This is one of the reasons I`d NEVER use a car cover on a car kept outside.)

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason this happened is becuase you put a tarp over the car cover. The car cover needs to breath and by putting the tarp over it it could not breath. Its not the car covers fault, its the tarps fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prowlin, there are many photo tools which would allow you to resize those photos so they are small enough to post, then everyone can see them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many times placing the car out in the sun will evaporate the moisture. Clear coats will absorb a rather large amount of water and also release it BUT as noted because air was not allowed to circulate because of the tarp it may be beyond coventional repair.

Rubbing alcohol can aide in evaporation but let it sit in the sun for a day and see what happens. Re-paint might be the only solution if not.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Yuk, that`s bad. Identical to what I witnessed on my friend`s car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Permanent damage. Just like what people get under their vinyl bras when they leave them on for months on end in areas that see rain.

It will improve some baked out in the sun for a few weeks. But the only real fix is a repaint.

Post Thanks / Like
    my car covers did the same thing to my car. What can I do other than repaint. I want the repaint to be my last option.

Post Thanks / Like
    my car covers did the same thing to my ride. I did not know back then that these could actually do damage to my car`s paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    my car covers did the same thing to my ride. I did not know back then that these could actually do damage to my car`s paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    my car cover did the same thing to my ride. I did not know back then that these could actually do damage to my car`s paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by prowlinpassion
    Hi,

I have a 99 Purple Prowler which is left outsde with an Evolution 4 car cover and with a tarp over the cover. I took both off only to discover a large stain, milky-colored (about the 15" diameter)on the hood. I brought to a detailer who attempted to buff it out, without luck. I then brought it to a body shop, who has rarely seen this, but talked about the stain baking through and possibly attacking the clear coat, and would need to refinish the hood. Any ideas on commercially available cleaners I can try before going through this hassle and expense? Any suggestions are welcome! Here is the url for the pictures:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/IMG_1221.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/IMG_1220.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/IMG_1219.jpg

Thanks,

Ron

I had the same thing happen a number of years ago but not the same circumstances that you encountered. I tried a number of steps to get the moisture out ofthe clear to no avail. The clear coat will absorb moisture and the only cure is to repaint.
    Lou K

Post Thanks / Like
    my car covers did the same thing to my car. I did not know back then that these could actually do damage to my car`s paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information