Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeross
    my car covers did the same thing to my car. I did not know back then that these could actually do damage to my car`s paint.

now that we know, we really need to avoid them

Post Thanks / Like
    its not big deal... i think you should visit gates auto

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not up on the latest in the technology of car cover fabrics but at the time when I got mine, I was parking outside fairly often and so I opted for *two* custom covers--a Weathershield on top of a Noah--overkill yes, but water never got through, let alone residual marks on the paint. I still have them, but I`m betting there`s one type of fabric now that completely blocks out the elements while still breathable and doesn`t allow residue on the paint.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would blame this on the tarp. If your car cover is made to breath, the tarp it would allow that to happen. The tarp kept the moistre in cuasing the damage. Looks like your going to need a repaint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I am late getting here.

Listen to Anthony,but one or two little differences.

Over the years of the use of transit wrap by vehicle manufacturers, there have been thousands of hoods, tops, fenders repainted due to moisture entrapment showing after the removal of the plastic transit wrap.

In most, and I mean "MOST" cases, the repainting was not necessary.

But the sub contractors at the ports sure liked the additional income.

Here is what they now do when this concern is observed.

1. Wipe affected area with rubbing alcohol (70, 90% what ever) and make sure the area is "wet" with the alcohol.

2. Alcohol (IPA only in this case) is a "drying agent" which is why it is used.

3. While wet, using a heat gun or even a hair dryer,start evenly heating the affected area, but do not allow the skin temperature of the painted surface to exceed 175 F.

4. Move the heat and air source, evenly over the affected area, starting at one edge, working your way across the area.

5. Observe if the "cloud" is going away.

6. A second application and heating may be required.

If this does not remove the entrapped moisture from the clear, and you should wait a couple of hot sunny days to make sure, then refinishing is the only option.

This process has been done on thousands of new vehicles at ports across the world, as a less expensive method to relieve entrapped moisture, so it`s nothing new.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is hilariously old, but fwiw I have dealt with this a couple times, all using a similar process ^^ (to Rons). One thing I would add is not to seal/wax the effected section (even if the cloud is gone) for a week or two. I`ve seen the cloud disappear then re-appear a few days later after sealing/waxing.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, just looked at the dates. Haha. Some good information none the less.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think back when this thread started car covers were made of canvas!

I cover my car with an Evolution 4 cover for the 2 weeks we spend at the beach. Failing to cover your car when down there is suicide for your paint; after a couple of days, you can`t even see through the windshield if your car isn`t covered.

Mike (hates paying the big bucks for a cover that`s used 2 weeks per year, but my car deserves it)

Post Thanks / Like
    You got that right, it takes some time for the entrapped moisture to truly leave the substarte.

Good follow up on the process.

Seems that everyone wants immediate results and that is not always possible when dealing with the chemistry of paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    This thread is hilariously old, but fwiw I have dealt with this a couple times, all using a similar process ^^ (to Rons). One thing I would add is not to seal/wax the effected section (even if the cloud is gone) for a week or two. I`ve seen the cloud disappear then re-appear a few days later after sealing/waxing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information