Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like gas prices aren`t going to change anytime in the near future so I am gonna take advantage of the situation and get back into motorcycles. I am hoping to pick up a good used Honda VFR750 this weekend.

I generally bought all my gear from a local dealer but, that isn`t possible now so I need suggestions for online sources that offer good pricing.

I am gonna be looking for a Shoei helmet, probably the RF-1000. My last helmet was a Shoei RF-800 so I figure the 1000 is probably a safe bet as far as fit goes.

I have always worn leather jackets but, I think this time I will go the textile route. I want something with good ventilation yet, will still offer good protection.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Aerostich is always a good place to start.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I get their catalog and totally forgot about them. Looks like they have a great price on the Shoei RF-1000. I have always thought their jackets were great but, pricey. I think there are jackets out there that offer as good protection for a lot less money. I have generally worn Teknic gear and I am currently looking at their line of textile jackets. I am also looking at Joe Rocket.

http://www.teknicgear.com/catalog.ph...id=0&styleid=1

http://www.joerocket.com/jrf/home.cfm

What I need is a good online retailer that sells a wide variet of brands at good prices.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    i ride with a vanson leathers perforated leather jacket

expensive but very good protection and keeps me cool wjile riding
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    I think most likely what I am gonna go with is Teknic. I have worn their leather before and was very happy with the quality and fit. For the jacket though I am gonna go textile rather than leather. I can`t decide though between the Spider and the Sprint. Basically I am not sure whether I want a short jacket or a longer one. They both have about the same amount of protection and ventilation and they cost the same. I really need to find a local dealer where I can try them both on.

Teknic Spider Jacket

Spider Jackets Features:

# "600 denier cordura outer shell construction.

# Heavy duty poly mesh construction on inner jacket.

# Anatomical Precurved waist length sport cut.

# Outer shell is 100% waterproof, windproof and breathable when completely zipped.

# Neoprene lined collar.

# Zip off, fleece lined Chill Stopper outer collar.

# CE approved Knox KFP1 armor in shoulders and elbows and CE approved Knox TP2 armor in back.

# Teknic hidden triple storm flap over front zipper.

# All zip off sections covered by triple storm flap system.

# Two front pockets on outer shell, two front pockets and one rear cargo pocket on inner jacket.

# Silver mesh lining that is nonallergenic and comfortable.

# Eight inch zipper and belt loop connectors."

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi...html?E+scstore

Teknic Sprint Jacket

Sprint Jackets Features:

# "DuPont Kevlar branded product approved for its correct use and function of DuPont Kevlar materials.

# 600 denier soft touch cordura outer shell construction with DuPont Kevlar overlays on shoulders and elbows.

# Anatomical precurved 2/3 length sport cut.

# Two chest and two arm zippered air vents with rear exhaust vent for variable airflow.

# 100% waterproof, windproof, breathable Powerskin liner.

# Airmesh lined collar with neoprene edge and front.

# CE approved Knox KFP1 armor in shoulders and elbows.

# CE approved Knox TP2 armor in back.

# Teknoc hidden triple storm flap over front zipper.

# Four front pockets with YKK gel sealing zippers.

# Two internal pockets.

# One tri fold waterproof rear cargo pocket.

# Silver airmesh lining that is nonallergenic and comfortable.

# Zip out full sleeve quilted liner.

# Zipper for optional fleece liner.

# Eight inch zipper and belt loop connectors.

# Anthracite Scotchlite 3M reflective piping."

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi...html?E+scstore

Teknic Supervent Gloves

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi...638+1124393517

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look at www.newenough.com. They are an authorized Vanson dealer, and also sells a lot of other gear. I have an RF-1000, and coming from an RF800 through an X-9, I had to go from a medium to a small. It`s a bit tighter than I like, but the medium is way too loose. If you get a chance, try some out at a dealer first, as the new helmets might fit differently than you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a VFR, the short jacket would fit better.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I HATE UHAUL

After making a reservation for a motorcycle trailer to bring the bike back, I call to confirm the reservation and find out where to pick it up and find they have no record of my reservation. They lost the reservation and so after 5 conversations with different people to try and locate it we finally gave up and just made another reservation and guess what, that one got screwed up as well. I was calling 1-800-GO-UHAUL. You make a reservation with them and then a regional center calls you back with the pickup location. Well, both times we never heard back from the regional locations and when we called to find out what was going on they could never find our reservations. After pulling my hair out for over 5 hours trying to rent a darn trailer I finally have a reservation and also called the location to confirm they have the trailer reserved and waiting for me.

Here is the bike, 1997 Honda VFR750

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black240SX
    On a VFR, the short jacket would fit better.

The problem with short jackets though is that they tend to ride up. If I had the money I would get both but, I need to find a good compromise jacket that will work for the rest of summer yet still be comfortable for the coming winter months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember that you are going to be leaning forward a bit. A long jacket will bunch up in the front and press against your neck.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    how do you like your oxfords?
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I will probably get the most use out of the tank bag. The entire set is awesome. The guy that owned the bike is an army helicopter (Blackhawk) pilot just about to go on his third tour in Iraq. When he was stationed in Germany he had the bike there and put 20 thousand of the 29 thousand miles it has on it there.

The tank setup has 3 options, you can leave just the base on which just has a clear pocket for a map, or a small bag that zippers on to the base or a larger, or an expandable bag that can be zippered onto the base. The base is held onto the tank with some strong magnets. I was suprised at how strong they are.

I am not as excited as I thought I would be with the saddle bags and the rear seat bag, mostly they just get in the way. I don`t do as much long distance touring as he did so I will likely only keep the tank bag on and will use the rest only as needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking bike, Bob!

Great shots of your Mustang via the link in your sig. Just dripping wet!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if you have gotten your gear yet, but if not there are plenty of places to look for gear. PM me if you want more detailed info about where to get what.

I ride a supersport bike, so my gear might be a bit different than yours.

My Girlfriend picked up a new RF1000 and she loves it. She paid about 400 for it. I know we could have gotten it cheaper, but she wanted it immediatley.

A good place to get gear is ridersinc.com. Talk to Nick, he`s a cool guy and can usually hook you up.

Newenough.com is good as well.

Cyclegear.com has some crazy sales on glaves, especially RS-Taichi gloves and some Icon Barrier gloves.

OGK helmets are also good and the are running a very good sale on them (i think the website is arata-ex.com)

Too many things to list, so if you need info PM me and I ll try to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    We just trailered the bike home last night, I haven`t gotten any of the gear yet. I have ordered the helmet. I have what I call a Shoei head I have worn a lot of helmets over the years and I just have had the best luck and fit from Shoei. My last helmet was an RF-800 and I just ordered a new RF-1000. It is a Honda branded version of the RF-1000 called the SR4

The list price is $409 but, my local Honda dealer got it for me for less than that. I got lucky and stumbled onto a Honda dealer that I like and will try and support them if I can.

http://powersports.honda.com/the_goo...Category=Sport

I haven`t picked up a jacket or gloves yet though. I have some time before I need to. I still have to put the bike on our insurance, pay the proptery taxes, sales taxes and get her registered. It is going to be a few weeks or so before I can get all that done.

In the past I have worn strictly leather, I am just not that familiar with the textile jackets out there and all the various options as to the material they are constructed of and the various types of armor they do and don`t come with. The main reason I am looking at textile jackets is that they typically offer better ventilation than leather. With summers getting above 100 degrees here ventilation is a must. Last night at around 10pm it was still 86 degrees here, that is just nuts. I have had perforated leather jackets before and for me they just don`t cut it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information