it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello:

Well i`ve decided after reading enough posts about caliper painting that it seemed like a good thing to do. I went out and bought the Dupli-Color caliper paint kit. I plan on doing this project in the next couple weeks when the temperatures and humidity drop a bit. I have one question about this though. When I was telling my friend about it he was convinced it would come out bad because of the brush and bristles. I`m just curious what people who used the included brush or similiar think about it? Does it come out wavy and full of lines? I`m now second thinking using the included brush and maybe get a foam brush for smoother, uniform coats.

Also, while my wheels are off I also plan on cleaning up my rusty rotors. I don`t want to paint these just get all the rust off and spray a couple coats of Rust-Oleum clear to prevent them from rusting. I already know to do this on the center or "hub" as I heard. I`m also wondering what else I can clear? Attached are some pictures, i`d appreciate it if someone can give me advice/suggestions for my problem. I know the surface rust goes away after a little driving, but is there any way to prevent it? Since its a majority of the rotor that rusts up it kinda kills the look. Thanks in advance and sorry for being such a n00b at brakes. :xyxthumbs

Heres what i`m talking about...

Closeup

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello:

Well i`ve decided after reading enough posts about caliper painting that it seemed like a good thing to do. I went out and bought the Dupli-Color caliper paint kit. I plan on doing this project in the next couple weeks when the temperatures and humidity drop a bit. I have one question about this though. When I was telling my friend about it he was convinced it would come out bad because of the brush and bristles. I`m just curious what people who used the included brush or similiar think about it? Does it come out wavy and full of lines? I`m now second thinking using the included brush and maybe get a foam brush for smoother, uniform coats.

Also, while my wheels are off I also plan on cleaning up my rusty rotors. I don`t want to paint these just get all the rust off and spray a couple coats of Rust-Oleum clear to prevent them from rusting. I already know to do this on the center or "hub" as I heard. I`m also wondering what else I can clear? Attached are some pictures, i`d appreciate it if someone can give me advice/suggestions for my problem. I know the surface rust goes away after a little driving, but is there any way to prevent it? Since its a majority of the rotor that rusts up it kinda kills the look. Thanks in advance and sorry for being such a n00b at brakes. :xyxthumbs

Heres what i`m talking about...

Closeup

Post Thanks / Like
    duplicolor kit has always come out perfect with no brush marks, ive used it on the teg and the 740i. i always have done two coats though. make sure they are cleaned and wire brushed perfectly though prior to painting.

Post Thanks / Like
    duplicolor kit has always come out perfect with no brush marks, ive used it on the teg and the 740i. i always have done two coats though. make sure they are cleaned and wire brushed perfectly though prior to painting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with this, sounds like a good project. For the hubs, I wouldn`t use just clear as a) you`ll have to get things awfully clean for it to look good and b) I think it`ll look a lot better longer if you use a pigmented paint.

I`d hit the worst of the rust with a wire brush, then use a rust-killing prep product, then paint. Maybe even use the same stuff you use on the calipers. I hear that gray paints last longer than silver ones, but I`ve had silver paint on the XJS`s calipers for a long time and it`s held up fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with this, sounds like a good project. For the hubs, I wouldn`t use just clear as a) you`ll have to get things awfully clean for it to look good and b) I think it`ll look a lot better longer if you use a pigmented paint.

I`d hit the worst of the rust with a wire brush, then use a rust-killing prep product, then paint. Maybe even use the same stuff you use on the calipers. I hear that gray paints last longer than silver ones, but I`ve had silver paint on the XJS`s calipers for a long time and it`s held up fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to stainless is the only way to avoid rust IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to stainless is the only way to avoid rust IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    stainless rotors??

Thread Information