The Protege`s power steering fluid was a dark black, so I decided to change it out. Since I couldn`t find a way to drain ALL the fluid (without making a mess anyway), I decided to just suck out as much as I could with a big turkey baster, just like I did on the Maxima. I was able to pull out almost a full 8 ounces of fluid that way. Then I refilled it with STP power steering fluid.

The owner`s manual says to fill it with Dexron-II ATF or equivalent. My dad said that you CAN use ATF, but power steering fluid is better because it`s made specifically for that application and has all the necessary conditioners etc...

Is there a problem with using power steering fluid instead of ATF? Are they compatible?

I wasn`t able to get all of the original fluid out (which may or may not have been ATF) so there`s a mix of old fluid vs. new fluid now. I have sucked out 8oz twice now. After I took the first 8oz out and refilled it, I drove it around for a few minutes, turning a LOT, and then replaced another 8oz.