Post Thanks / Like
    The Protege`s power steering fluid was a dark black, so I decided to change it out. Since I couldn`t find a way to drain ALL the fluid (without making a mess anyway), I decided to just suck out as much as I could with a big turkey baster, just like I did on the Maxima. I was able to pull out almost a full 8 ounces of fluid that way. Then I refilled it with STP power steering fluid.

The owner`s manual says to fill it with Dexron-II ATF or equivalent. My dad said that you CAN use ATF, but power steering fluid is better because it`s made specifically for that application and has all the necessary conditioners etc...

Is there a problem with using power steering fluid instead of ATF? Are they compatible?

I wasn`t able to get all of the original fluid out (which may or may not have been ATF) so there`s a mix of old fluid vs. new fluid now. I have sucked out 8oz twice now. After I took the first 8oz out and refilled it, I drove it around for a few minutes, turning a LOT, and then replaced another 8oz.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m always one for doing what the mfr. says. GM developed the Dexron spec, but my (current, anyway) GM`s specify power steering fluid per a GM spec. If Mazda says ATF, I`d go ATF. What do your Mazda forums say?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Setec, you can`t ever go wrong with following what your manual states to use. It`s not like it`s hard to find a bottle of ATF or anything. You can pick it up just about anywhere.

That being said, I find it funny that your manual recommends ATF. I`ve never seen that before. I`ve always been told by mechanics that when you don`t have power steering fluid you *can* use ATF, since they are very close to being the same thing. I`ve just never heard of it being the other way around. PS fluid being the substitute vs. ATF being the sub.

Regardless, I`m sure you`re fine, just don`t put PS fluid in your trans.! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s exactly what my dad said. He`s been told on numerous occasions that ATF is *OK* to use in the power steering system if power steering fluid is not available. So it sounds as if power steering fluid is the preferred lubricant for the system, but ATF is an alternative (usually cheaper too).

I would not think that putting power steering fluid in a power steering system would cause problems.

And don`t worry, I`ve got RedLine synthetic 75W-90 on the way to use when I change the gear oil. I`ve got to pamper that wonderful Mazda transmission! :xyxthumbs
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d go with what the manual says. Power steering fluid was available when they wrote the manual too.

You can purge it by disconnecting a line and running the engine, but I`ve seen a buddy toast a power steering pump that way. It may have been a bad pump, but all the same I wouldn`t try this method as it pumps the relatively small capacity out pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s extremely easy to use the turkey baster to extract fluid. It`s a bigazz turkey baster so I only have to fill it 5-6 times to empty the ~8 oz of fluid. And I don`t have to worry about any air in the system or anything.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like a job for an oil extractor. The job would go by even faster. You canhave several hoses for it, each for a different fluid. I have for oil, brake fluid, coolant, water and I can reserve some for ATF and PSF
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which is what? I have a hand pump that I`ve used for extracting power steering fluid from the Taurus that I had a long time ago. Is that what an "oil extractor" is?
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is the same one as the one from Griot`s. I bought extra hoses directly from Pela, the manufacturer.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, you always have the coolest little gadgets!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have a suction gun, which is kind of like a big metal hypodermic....well, a big metal cylinder that you put a rubber hose on the end and dip it into your <insert reservoir name> and pull the handle and suck it out. I`m sure they make them out of plastic now. Bill is talking about a more involved machine that sits on the floor and can handle multiple extraction sessions (large capacity).

EDIT: Darn, that`s what I get for stopping to answer the phone--Bill beats me to the explanation!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a suction gun too which is useful in a pinch. However, one thing I do is get farm syringes from places like Southern States and such. They don`t have needles on them. But they are big and cheap. You can use them to suck stuff out, and if it gets gross, just pitch it, or just use it for that type of stuff in the future.

I use them to suck out brake fluid too before a flush, it`s easier to remove the surplus bad fluid and pour in good than to suck the entire reservior out a caliper.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also used a syringe to pull out brake fluid...kind of a mini suction gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about using a syringe. The turkey baster works quite well though.
    Paul...

Thread Information