Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

The thread on how long people keep their vehicles got me thinking. We tend to keep our vehicles until the wheels fall off. For example we have a 1996 Plymouth Voyager that we bought new off the showroom floor, it now has 108K and we are looking at replacing it in the near future.

I am considering full and mid size SUVs right now. What I would like to know though is what kind of life can I expect out of them with regular maintenance. Would I do better with something like a BMW X5 over say a Ford Expedition??? Keep in mind I am looking for longevity here. Whatever we get, it will probably be another 10 years before it gets replaced

I am really leaning towards the X5 but, don`t really know much about them.

The short list includes the following

2005 Ford Freestyle

200ish Ford Expedition

200ish Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon

200ish BMW X5

200ish Landrover Discovery

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents worth. I believe that the longevity (assuming reaonable maintenence and that you don`t really abuse the vehicle) ultimately will depend on the durability of the electronic components. today`s vehicles, cars, trucks, SUV`s etc are loaded with computers, circuit boards, etc. and the availability of parts down the road. For example, my `91 Buick Reatta Convertible was one of only 260 sold. While there are still lots of 88 - 91 coupes on the road, certain body parts are getting scarce and expensive. A vent window is now $800, so many of these cars are worth more torn down for parts. On the other hand, my 1977 Excalibur Roadster (11 sold in 1977) is hardwired, and based on a 1977 Corvette chassis with a GM 454 engine and Turbo 400 transmission. So if I were buying for longevity today, I`d get something that there were a lot of.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have owned a lot of high milage cars. My current Alfa has 160,000 miles, my previous one I sold at 180,000 and before that I had a E28 BMW with over 250,000. All were strong cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put 230,000 on my corsica with the 60 degree v6, stock internals and no major repairs. Plus if does go, parts are real cheap. My friend beat the heck outta his f150, no maintenance, and it went to about 160,000 before it cried uncle...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1998 Ford Expedition with about 97,000 miles on the odometer. The only things I have had replaced other then general maintenance items are the rear axel seals and the seal on the drive shaft and that was only two weeks ago. Hopefully it will continue to serve us reliably for another 97,000 miles. My only concern at the moment is rust from some rough winters in Pittsburgh Pa.

We also have a Toyota Corolla that we bought new in 1994 with 130,000 miles on it. At this point I cant afford to replace it due to the fact that I only have about $500 worth of extra repairs in it, maybe $600.

I think that todays cars will last a long time with proper regular maintenance. You should check on how much the recommended service costs, that might be a factor on which vehicle you chose. I have heard that some of the luxury cars have very expensive oil changes upwards of $200. In my mind if an oil change costs $200, how much is a timing belt going to cost, or brakes? I can change my own oil, spark plugs, etc. A timing belt is way beyond my ability. If you can afford the cost of an X5 and you can afford the maintenance on it and that is what you really want then I say go for it. If you are going to keep it until the wheels fall off get some thing that you really want. I love my Expedition, the only regrets are that I didn`t get the bigger engine and that I didn`t find Autopia soon enough to really make it look phenomenal instead of just great.
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d probably look into something Acura MDX-ish if I was cross shopping against an Expedition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Goodness. My wife`s (and later mine) Nissan Sentra had 275,000 and about 11 years on it when we sold it to her brother and it`s still kicking--original tranny, clutch, and motor, bare minimum maintenance. Never an issue. Still amazes me. For a long time, my brother and sister and our respective families only bought Honda/Acuras. Never failed us with minimum maintenance. Just in the last couple of years, we`ve gotten into BMWs and, well, the minimum maintenance just doesn`t apply anymore. I could rattle off parts that MUST be replaced within ~80K miles or earlier lest you want to be stranded on the side of the road. LOVE the cars, don`t love the upkeep though...
    ~Chris

95 M3, 99 323i, 87 Nissan pickup--it runs, 91 Nissan Sentra--288K miles.

Thread Information