Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been trying to narrow down the possibilities of my next car purchase. My objective is to buy a family car with a budget capped at around $25,000. I plan on keeping the car for 8-10 years. I have a baby and expect to have another in a couple of years. I tossed aroung the idea of buying an SUV but really wanted to get advice from other people with children whether an SUV is necessary or if a four door sedan at this budget has sufficient room in the rear seats (for two car seats) and the trunk (for strollers and groceries). Taking all these things into consideration, I`ve compiled a short list of qualities I would like the car to posess. 1-3 are essential. The rest of the list are features that are very important to me but I`m flexible with.

1. Reliability

2. Cargo space

3. Best standard/extended warranty

4. Best/most standard features

5. Fuel efficiency

5. Interior fit and finish (quality of materials)

6. Body styling/best quality paintjob

These are a few cars I`ve considered (some I`m assuming I can negotiate a good deal)

1. Nissan Altima 2.5s (attractive price, questionable in terms of space)

2. Nissan Pathfinder XE (tons of space, base model with minimal features/SUV type full consumption)

3. Honda Accord (top notch reliability/good gas mileage, questionable in terms of space)

4. Honda Pilot (tons of space, base model with minimal features)

5. Acura TSX (IMO best looking/highest quality interior finish/honda reliability/good gas mileage, most expensive out of the group/questionable in terms of space)

6. Mazda3 wagon (attractive price/nice interior features/decent exterior, questionable space)

7. Mazda6 (base model has low sticker price/roomier than Mazda3/nice interior/decent exterior looks, don`t know if it is enough space)

8. VW Jetta (new body styling/nice euro interior, questionable reliability) My 98 Jetta was always in the shop

Only used car on the list

9. Audi S4 2000-2002MY (performance, questionable reliability)

I know that there are plenty of members in this community that have a wealth of knowledge in this area. If there are cars out there that are a better value, I welcome the suggestions. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of your choices, I would do the Mazda 6 Wagon/Hatchback. Those cars are great, and, even with the Ford blood in them, should last you a while. Another idea is a CR-V. My friend has a 2005 Pathfinder LE, and I love it and it is trouble-free but the gas mileage is something to think about. If this is the family car, consider something with space and keep your car as a fun, second car (Miata comes to mind).

Don`t do the S4; it`s a waste of a performer as the family hauler.
    1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE-L

Sierra Silver/ Charcoal suede

5-speed 4x4 with Off-Road pkg.

Post Thanks / Like
    The S4 will be fun, but the first time one of your kids pukes in it/scratches it/otherwise messes it up, you will want to cry. Its just too lovable of a car to subject to young children . I`d suggest looking into a Crown Vic. I`ve got domestic blood, but if you feel the reliability on those is questionable, the Accord would be my #2 choice. You`re looking at having it until your children are 10 or so, and the 4-door accord should have plenty of room until then (unless your sons are future NFL linemen).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Persoanlly, I would never even consider owning a car after I started buying SUV`s and trucks. Now they have trucks that are also SUV`s. They simple are ten times more comfortable, and no matter how bad gas prices get I will drive them. To me safety and comfort beats the gas milage argument. On a 100 mile trip driving my huge SUV it costs me 10 dollars more than my friend with an Accord. It`s worth every penny, so i would pick the SUV`s out of your list. You might want to wait, Toyota is coming out with an SUV that is going to set the market for all SUV`s, check it out. My girlfriend is waiting for them to come out and she is buying the first one she can. The FJ Cruiser check it out, it will be about 25k too, they will be out in early 2006.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/futur...ser/index.html
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the TSX, its the kind of car that transitions you into parenthood without the drastic shock of having to drive something that isnt fun. The car is a blast to drive in the 6-speed and there is ample room for a stroller or two. My buddy has one and with a few cheap performance upgrades it is a pretty quick and tight car.
    Seeking Donations: Recently Diagnosed With Terminal Senioritis.

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d go with the TSX, I`ve been looking into Acura for the past couple of months to replace my aging truck. Although, I`ve been looking at the RSX, I have found that Acura lives up to the name and is definitely a quality car that you can expect to drive through many years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. In regards to the SUV`s like the Pathfinder and Pilot it really bugs me that they`re so stripped down in terms of features in the $25000 price range. So I ask myself if I can deal with that situation for 8-10 years. It`s a tough question that I don`t know the answer to. As for the TSX, it`s hard for me to justify when the trusty, reliable, and cheaper Accord is at the dealership next door. I don`t want to rule it out yet but it`s a looming thought I can`t ignore. Finally, I really don`t have any good reason against the Mazda 6. The only questions I have are concerning its reliability (is it entirely assembled in Japan?) and space (I still don`t know if the consensus is that a midsized sedan can accomodate a family with two infants).

I appreciate the suggestions and look forward to more insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    have you thought of the 2005 Camry? my boss just got a new 2005 Camry since he has 2 children who have to ride in car seats. and well, Toyota`s are known for their reliability, and spaciousness. and for abou $25K, you might be able to get a nice one, maybe even a SE.

the mazda3`s backseat is quite spacious for the size of the car. i`m not sure if the trunk is big enough for strollers and grocesseries. you might want to see it for yourself. i can tell you the engine is pretty peppy, and the suspension handles nicely.

the mazda6, is a nice car too. not sure about the space, it seems quite spacious. but, i`m not sure about mazda`s reliability.
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    Nissan Pathfinder XE

Honda Pilot

Mazda6 Wagon

A few to look at:

2006 VW Passat

(It`s bigger than ever since it`s no longer stuck on the A4 platform. Base model with stability control added is around $24k

Subaru Forrester 2.5XT is $25,700 and comes with a great 2.5 liter boxer turbo engine.

Mitsubishi Endevor (they`re desperate for customers. 10yr powertrain 5yr bumper to bumper. Seems like they`re running constant specials. Base model starts at $25,700.)

Camry (although Toyotas are NOT known for spaciousness, the new Camry is huge in comparison to every model previous.)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you like the Honda Pilot but don`t like its price consider a Saturn VUE. The V6 models use the same 3.5L engine and 5-speed automatic transmission as the Honda Pilot, Honda Odyssey and Acura MDX. A lot cheaper and no door dings. Lots of room and the cargo area is large. Comes in AWD of FWD models.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would seriously consider the Mazda 3 wagon. You will have the room and a sporty drive, and at the same time get the features you want. Consumer reports, for what its worth, gives the Mazda 3 the highest ratings for reliability and satisfaction, and is on their recommeded list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Carl Anderson

I would seriously consider the Mazda 3 wagon. You will have the room and a sporty drive, and at the same time get the features you want. Consumer reports, for what its worth, gives the Mazda 3 the highest ratings for reliability and satisfaction, and is on their recommeded list.

My dad just bought one of these a few weeks ago & is very happy with it in all aspects. He did a lot of research & the 3 came out on top becasue it had everything he wanted and was highly rated by almost every review source.

Now, for me, I just can`t get over the looks (though look what I drive, LOL!).
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont forget the Nissan Maxima. If you are going to get the Altima, which is a fantastic car for the price, get the 3.5l, you will thank me later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever you decide on, go to www.carbuyingtips.com and heed what he says. Fantastic resource for anyone buying a new car.

Don't ever drop your clay kartoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year I was deciding between an Accord and TSX.

I love my TSX - it`s a great driver`s car. But if you`re talking two kids, strollers, etc I think the Accord would be more comfortable. After all it is slightly bigger.

As far as the Pilot goes - I doubt you`ll be able to get one around $25k, even if they do exist.

A few years ago I had to walk away from a Honda dealer because he decided it wasn`t worth it for him to sell me a "naked" Civic.

Good luck with your decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information