Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone, I finally decided to purchase an electric lime green Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It should be here tomorrow I have a question about it, as I`ve never owned a soft-top before. To boot, the Wrangler is unique in that you really can`t park the car in a parking lot and put the top up before shopping.

So, my question is this, how do you prevent theft of important stuff like proof of insurance? I read else where that it`s smart to just leave things unlocked in the Jeep, because it`s often cheaper to replace the stolen items than to replace the busted lock on the glove box or center console.
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    locked box bolted to the floor
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey ahunt01, what part of WV are you in? I`m moving back to WV from GA in a month or so. I just got a jeep wrangler with a hard top and someone stole my damn radio!!! I left the drivers side door unlocked and the idiots broke the passenger side lock and put 2 holes in my door to get in. :angry :angry

I say leave in unlocked, don`t put anything expensive in it. Maybe you shouldn`t detail it so ppl wont think you have lots of money j/k.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Shepherdstown. Wow, that sucks man about the theft. I was looking at the bolted down lock-box, and I think that may be the smartest thing. Although, it`s gonna be a ***** to get to it if/when I get pulled over and they need proof of insurance lol. "One sec officer, I have to get it out of the trunk."

As for not putting anything expensive in the Jeep, oh yeah I totally agree. The registration/insurance isn`t expensive, just not something you want stolen. But...it has to stay in the car.
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    Never locked mine and had plenty of visitors, if you know what I mean, but never had an issue with registration papers. Heck you could put those under a seat without an issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, that`s a darn good idea! :xyxthumbs I plan on buying some custom-fitting neoprene seat covers, so I could just put the papers in a zip-lock back and slip it under the covers.

I guess when I actually get the vehicle tomorrow (hopefully) then I`ll be able to tinker around with hiding spots. I`m so excited
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ahunt01 ,

first let me say excellent vehicle choice , I`m getting a white unlimted rubicon , should be here soon. I`m outfitting mine with products form this company , www.tuffyproducts.com I plan on getting the console , glove box door and one of the rear lockers. Also invest in the door locks I`ve been told they get stolen alot.
    Doug Lucas
    The Detail Barn

Post Thanks / Like
    Make a copy of the registration and keep it in your wallet. No need to leave it in the car. I do that for all my cars and bike, very simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was gonna suggest the same thing Detailbarn said. The Tuffy boxes are pretty popular.

We had some people get into our [unlocked] TJ a few weeks ago. They stole all of the loose change in the little ashtray on the console, but left the CB radio, XM satellite radio, and GPS. Idiots.

Any plans for mods or wheeling it?
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, about the only mods I`m considering later on are a winch and maybe slightly bigger tires. Heh that`s all if I even get the vehicle .

Over two weeks ago the dealership said they would get it from the factory and ship it to me in a week. a week came, and they said "It`ll be here for sure Friday (last week). Friday came and went, and that Saturday they told me "Monday for sure." Monday came and went. Now they`re telling me "Friday is a guarantee." But who knows lol. Dang it, why do I have to like this unusual color on the Unlimited, an unusual Jeep Model.

I like the idea of the Tuffy universal compact security lock-box. I could store some important stuff there without it taking up much room. That little box, like all their boxes, bolts to the floor I presume?

One other thing, about copying the registration & proof of insurance and keeping it in my wallet. Is that okay for 5-0 if I got pulled over?
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    What model Jeep am I getting? A TJ? Doesn`t TJ end at 04? I`m always hearing those terms (YJ, TJ, CJ) being thrown around, and I know they correspond with the year the Jeep is made, but I don`t know what an 05` would be.
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jeep you`re getting is a TJ which goes from 1997 to current. It looks like 2007 will be the next all new Jeep , who knows what designation they will give it.
    Doug Lucas
    The Detail Barn

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by detailbarn

The Jeep you`re getting is a TJ which goes from 1997 to current. It looks like 2007 will be the next all new Jeep , who knows what designation they will give it.

He`s getting an Unlimited, which I believe is a WJ.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    its an LJ long wheel base wrangler

TJ= short wheel base wrangler

YJ= leaf sprung "wrangler"

CJ= old jeep "wrangler"

XJ= cherokee

ZJ = 93-98 grand

WJ 99-04? mabey 03? grand

MJ= cherokee truck

SJ= full size cherokee

WK- 04+ grand

those are the most common ones anyway, so it is and LJ, not a TJ

the wrangler in NOt being replaced as far as i know
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    ahunt01

You`re going to love it, easy to work on, it`s a quick detail too. I loved mine until the window zipper broke and I had to zip tie the window shut. Real fun when the going thru the drive thru. The windshield leaked every rain and I had to drill a drain hole to allow the water to exit. In spite of the little quirks, it`s by far the most fun I`ve had, one day I`ll have another....maybe. Mine was a 92. When you get it, please post some pics.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information