Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    (with the People`s Court theme playing the the background)

I purhcased a new 2005 from a dealership in Clearwater, Florida. Within the first week, it began to pull to the right (passenger`s side). I took it to the service department. The service report states that the tires were rotated and the allignment checked out 100% correct.

I drove it home and the problem continued. I returned to the service departement and had my salesman drive with me as well as one of the "middle" service managers. They both agreed there was a problem.

The next morning I get a call saying my car is once again 100% correct. The Service Department Manager (the big cheese) drove the car and said that it is fine and that he sees no problem with it at all and that the service department is not to work on the car. (Seriously guys, I am not making this up)

The Service Manager had one of his Techs call me. I asked the Tech if any of the guys who actually work on the cars took it for a dive, and he said "no".

I am not happy to say the least. I have never heard of a Service Dept. refusing to work on a car. I have contacted the Florida State Attorney`s office and informed them that I may have to persue the FL Lemon Law which I have recently become and expert on.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just go ahead and start to file the paperwork?

I have remained cool, calm and collected throughout this mess, but I am at the end of my patience.

Frustrated in Florida

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps you should try a different dealership, what kind of car is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mdsmithers

Perhaps you should try a different dealership, what kind of car is it?

I agree. I doubt if you will get anything resolved without going to another dealership and allowing them the opportunity to fix it. One thing you don`t have any proof of, is that something is wrong other than your say so. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d try another dealership. When my car was new, I had tire problems that two other dealerships couldn`t (or didn`t take the time to) cure. The third dealership finally ended up swapping the tires off another car....problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    While it is true I do not have sworn affidavits from my Salesman and the Vice-Service Manager, I do have their words. I know, I know, but I believe that they would back me up. The Sales-Manager is also on my side as well.

If I cannot persuade the Service Manager to take a drive with me, then I will take it to another dealership...thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    How hard does it pull to the right? I`ve heard that all cars are supposed to veer to the right with no steering input (just a little bit), so that if you fall asleep you go off the road instead of into oncoming traffic.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    You haven`t mentioned what kind of car it is, but before you start going to other dealer, the state, etc., why don`t you try contacting customer service at the manufacturer? They may be able to rather easily convince the selling dealer to make it right, before this gets any more messy.

Maxy--depending where you live, some of that is done by the crowning of the road, but you are right, it sometimes makes alignment checking difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is a safety feature, then I will be very happy! I will ask that question to another dealership though.

It pulls enough that I have to keep the steering wheel at a constant "left turn" at about 11-o`clock. The pull increases if I do not correct or compensate with the steering wheel. I would say that the car pulls somewhere between 15 and 25 degrees to the right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the service manager drive the car on the same roads you experience this problem on? (Maybe some roads are crowned more than others)
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh sorry, its a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT Auto. I have not made any modifications to it, nor do I plan to. My wife has been a Hyundai owner since before we were married and her car is a gem. Never had one thing wrong with it and it drives the same now as it did when she bought it 3 years ago.

I will contact the manufacturer per Setec`s suggestion and see what they recommend. During the drives with the service VP and the Salesman, we drove on parking lots, side roads and major 4 lane highways.

Post Thanks / Like
    So when you drive on those parking lots, side roads, and major 4 lane hwys you experience the pulling, but the others did not?
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Three of us (not including my family members) experienced the same thing. My salesman drove the car (I was in the passenger seat) for about 15 minutes on the various types of roads and we returned to the service department. Then, the Service VP drove the car (I was again the passenger) on the same roads and agreed that the car was pulling. The service VP checked for any difference in regards to Torque as it will sometimes pull a car, but "stepping on it" made no difference to the pull. He suggested a plan to fix the problem and I left the car with him to begin the process. The next day is when I received the info. from the Service Manager that they were not going to work on my car because he sees no problem. He is the one who drove by himself without a passenger.

All in all, we drove a total of about 30 minutes on different types of roads. US 19 down here has been recently re-paved and the car performed the same on all roads at various speeds during both acceleration and deceleration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear this... We had a issue with a 2000 Toyota we bought new and fought to get it right, which never occured and we got rid of it and instead swore off ever buying a toyota after that ordeal.

I miss my 03 Cobra...... 03COBRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as going to another dealer, you may run into a little problem there. Most companies say that you have to go to the dealer where you purchased the car unless you are 50 or more miles from the original dealer. So unless that doesn`t count in Florida, you may have a problem with that. On another note, why take it to the dealer? If you really want ti fixed that bad, take it to another reputable service center and have them take a look at the alignment and the tires. What kind of tires do you have on it? You may have a couple of bad tires.

To answer a couple of questions, no you shouldn`t have to hold the wheel at the 11 o`clock position to drive in a straight line. I deal with some major road crown issues around where I live so my shop knows to adjust for this all the time. If indeed the vehicle is designed to go off to the right if you fall asleep, then the car will pull even harder to the right. Road crown goes from left to right, so you want to have the car pull to the left a little to hold itself against the road crown. So if they are trying to set it up for you to go off the road, that could be part of the problem. Also, tires can have radial pull or push in them. If you can find a retailer that sells the tires you have on there, you may be able to take the car to them and have them take a look at the tires and they may be able to adjust them out and get you some new tires!

To sum it up, take it to a tire shop and see what they think. An alignment check is some times free or for $30 or so. I would try that and see what they say, then take the paper work into the dealer and show them!
    PRECISION DETAIL
    NorCal
    2003 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Clean 2k

You have really hit a good point with my thinking. I have really enjoyed driving this car (despite the circumstances) and I don`t want to have to say goodbye to it. I really like it and hope that things work out so that I can continue to enjoy driving it.

The part of this whole thing that I don`t get, is why would a service department not wish to work on a car? Isn`t that the way they make their money? Even though the car is under the Hyundai warranty, don`t they at least get some kind of kickback from the Manufacturer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information