Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone...

I have an all wheel drive Talon that had a flat tire. I`ve been told by several people that on AWD, all treadwear must be even, and also that the tread pattern should be the same.

I have Pirelli racing tires on the car. For a full set of new tires (in order to all have the same treadlife) would cost over $650. I can also get 4 cheaper tires, but these Pirelli tires definately are what I want on my car... they grip better than any tire I know of.

I`ve been searching eBay for weeks, trying to find a USED Pirelli tire of the same size. Finding the exact tire I have now with exactly the same amount of wear will be nearly imposible... and the time to take my car to the track is approaching fast.

So...my question is... if I find a different type of Pirelli tire, that has the same basic design but slightly different tread pattern, should that be alright? (Apparently my tires are kind of rare, and the other Pirelli tires that I could use keep popping up on eBay) Luckily most Pirellis look the same from the sidewall... or at least close enough that people will not be able to tell the tire is miss-matched.

I have probalby 75-80% treadlife remaining on my current tires, so buying 4 new tires just seems like a waste.
    Signature modified because it was over the limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go to TireRack or wherever you bought the tires, and buy one new tire of the same model.

I think people are telling you that you should have the same exact tire on all 4 wheels since you have AWD. The AWD will notice one tire slipping more than the others so you won`t have equal power distribution to all 4 wheels.

Best thing to do...order one new tire of the same model.

What model of Pirellis are they?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    get a single new one, same tread pattern

a 10% difference wont matter

a differnt pattern could possiblyeffect steering and braking somewhat
    Black Mustang GT

I miss my 03 Cobra...... 03COBRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, working for a tire retailer I guess I should have answer for this one!

From what I hear from the local dealers is that as long as the tires are the same size you are OK. That means that if the tire is new, or the tire is worn out, you are ok. But when you change to a totally different size tire, you need to change all 4.

205-55-16 new comes with 11/32= Good

205-55-16 worn out with 2/32= Good

As far as tread pattern making a difference, I don`t see that being a problem at all. But then again with all AWD you never know.

I would say see what you can get in that size as close as possible to the tread pattern. A new tire will not cause any AWD issues as long as they are the same tire size!

500th post!
    PRECISION DETAIL
    NorCal
    2003 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had to replace quite a few single tires on AWD vehicles over the years. I`ve *always* got the same tire. I don`t want the AWD system trying to compensate for one wheel`s different behavior. It`s not just a matter of the tread pattern. Different tires behave differently. Subtle differences can matter. All [INSERT maker name HERE] tires aren`t the same.

Find a retailer who has the exact same tires and get one. The difference in tread depth won`t matter, not with all the tread remaining on your other ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    depends on if you think the 200$ savings in tires it worth the potential risk of your differentials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that even a difference in air pressure from one side to the other can make a difference in diameter between sides greater than the wear you have. I too have to say, just get a new single of the exact same tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks guys, unless someone proves to me that it will make a difference, what everyone recomended here is exactly what I`ll do.

When racing the car at the track, or driving on the street, I definately don`t want the risk of handling or braking being effected by different tread patterns.

edit: They are model Pzero Nero in size 225/45/17. They are not in stock...but judging by other sizes they would be about $150-160+ shipping if they were in stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they P Zero Nero (MAX performance) or P Zero Nero M+S (All-season Ultra High Performance)?

I`m thinking about getting the M+S all-seasons for the Protege in 205/45/16. Any comments (if you have the M+S version)?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not particularly familiar with the Mitsubishi AWD system. But, I can tell you that on a Subaru, if you have 3 worn tires, and 1 new tire, you can say goodbye to your AWD system. You will burn out the differentials on the car(for a Subaru I am speaking of here).

There is the risk of burning out your AWD on that Talon by getting different sizes. It`s not whether or not you system CARES if it`s a different size, it`s the fact that the wheel is spinning at a different rate than the other 3 over an extended period of time. This will cause a slow burn on the diffs. Eventually, the oils in the diffs turn to sludge, and poof, there goes the AWD with it.

What the tolerance is on your car, I cannot say. However, be aware this is a very real possibility.

I`d hop on over to www.dsmtalk.com and ask those folks. My friend/roomate has an Eclipse, and I can ask him, but you might get a faster response from the board(which he partly runs).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PerfectFinish1

Hey everyone...

I have probalby 75-80% treadlife remaining on my current tires, so buying 4 new tires just seems like a waste.

Getting 4 new tires would be a waste. The difference between a new (11/32) and your used (8.3/32) is negligible. Tire pressure can probably compensate that much. Just get a new tire of the same kind if you can and you should be fine. If you are really concerned, I would check all 3 of the good tires and match up the tallest one (if there is one) with the new one and put them on the same axle.

Post Thanks / Like
    VERY!!!!!!!

Effort Pa/Stroudsburg Area just over the NJ border.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay well I can answer this, with many years experience changing tires, also from BMW tire driving school having 4 tires the same size is a must.

Some things to consider.

Tires should have all the same speed ratings,

Tires should be all the same, same size and tread pattern/model. Since many tires are rotational,asymmetrical etc this makes a difference how the car would handle.

2 new tires should only be mounted on a rear of the vehcile no matter if it is front or rear wheel drive.

You should not get a different tread pattern at all on one tire no matter what your car is, since those tires on that axle will affect your steering, suspension, braking and more. Also whoever said that 8/32 and 11/32 air pressure will compensate that is totally wrong and has no clue not to by mean about what he or she is talking about. A tire no matter what profile or series or size or whatever you like to refer to, can only be inflated to a certain amoutn of pressure. Most tires are around 32,35,30 psi somewhere in there, so you cant inflate one more than the other. IF you go beyond this inflation level you will be wearing the tire quicker, wearing it uneven and be unsafe while your driving since the bead can pop or you can become a subject to a "bubble" in the side wall.

Tires are the only thing that is keeping you on the road, besides gravity. I would not mess around when buying tires or cheap out. I personally run Z rated tires on my truck, even though it calls for an s ot t rated tire which are pretty interchangeable. The higher the speed rating you go, the treadwear drops,performance and price increases. never go below what comes with your car, ie dropping a speed rating. Again braking and suspension is affected and could void warrenty on your vehcile as well. Open your door and there should be a sticker on their or in the glove box telling you the OEM size and speed rating.

Final thoughts. Find the right tire, spend the money you need to, if you cannot find the right tire that matches the ones you own, replace 2 with the same tire on the same axle on the rear of the vehcile. Good luck and be safe. Also like i said though AWD should always be equipped with 4 of the same tires at ALL TIMES!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post everyone! See, that is what I`ve heard... but then a lot of people swear that it is fine. I`m probably just going to play it safe and keep searching for a pzero nero used for another week or two... if not probably get 4 new tires. (though I may just get one new tire since parts for the car are cheap even if it puts wear on the transfercase)

Effort Pa/Stroudsburg Area just over the NJ border.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is going to put wear and it would be insane to do that over a tire. DO it right or dont do it at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information