Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oil change

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use any filter you want as long as it is designed for your car. The Magnuson-Moss Act protects you from dealers claiming it was a non-OEM part that caused the failure as long as the part is designed as an OEM replacement.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss

You can just do a search on Magnuson-Moss and you`ll get all sorts of good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Purolator on my gf`s Accord
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the topic of who makes the oil filter (is Honda filter made by Fram, etc.), the most important thing is not WHO makes it but what SPECIFICATION it`s made to.

At one time Fram was a very highly rated filter/manufacturer. Currently, there is anecdotal evidence that is no longer true. However, if they are making the Honda-branded filter, to Honda specifications, for Honda warranty applications, the design/construction/quality control of that filter could be/likely is completely different than their standard commercial product. Honda is the one who has something to lose in this if the filter doesn`t protect the engines properly (both during the warranty period when they will eat it, and after when their rep will be sullied).

I have used Fram filters for a long time (and never had a problem), although I am about to change to something else, partly because of the anecdotes. I also have another interesting story. My friend got a Hyundai, and I agreed to take care of the oil-changing for her. This car has a 10-year powertrain warranty, so it`s important to make sure everything is up to snuff. I bought a Fram filter for the first oil change...and when I got under the car for the first time, the Fram filter was a smaller diameter, and I would guess half the volume of the factory filter. The factory filter had an O-Ring seal on the face, and reminded me of the ($15) Toyota factory filters I used to shake my head about when another friend would buy those. I decided that I couldn`t risk using the Fram filter for this car, even though I emailed Fram, and they said the filter met the required specs, though it was physically a different size.

I resigned myself to buying filters from the dealer...and was pleasantly surprised to find them to be $5 (now $6, I think), which is about the same as the Fram Tough-Gard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the default "top of the heap" aftermarket filters remain Mobil 1, Amsoil and K&N. Mobil 1 and K&N can be found in Auto Zone. I used to use Mobil 1 on my old Maxima. I stick with AC Delco ( another good brand) on the Caddy for the sake of keeping everything under the hood OE for show purpsoes

I need to call Clair parts and ask where my shipment of Audi filters are

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by splattj

You can use any filter you want as long as it is designed for your car. The Magnuson-Moss Act protects you from dealers claiming it was a non-OEM part that caused the failure as long as the part is designed as an OEM replacement.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss

You can just do a search on Magnuson-Moss and you`ll get all sorts of good info.

While you are at it, do a search for a case where Magnuson Moss has helped someone get a warranty denial reversed. Magnuson Moss isn`t worth the paper it is written on.

One of the better oil filters for the money is Purolator. Here are a couple of links to different oil filter comparisons.

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart1.htm

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

I typically use a Mobil1 filter in the Mustang.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of those studies are great reads, sorta like Guru Reports for oil filter junkies

Post Thanks / Like
    Along with the oil change question, what about the different types of oil? There`s so many I don`t know what it all means. There`s like 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, etc. I`ve just been getting 10W-30 oil for my car. Also any reasons to use synthetic oil rather than conventional oil? Would it make changing your oil easier? (Went to the Bob oil guy website, but the layout and navigation is very bad, couldn`t find anything I was looking for, except maybe that filter study).

Post Thanks / Like
    spend a whole of time reading

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

You`ll arrive at the definitive answer for your situation

Post Thanks / Like
    Your owner`s manual will specify the viscosity or viscosities you should use in your car. If you don`t have an owner`s manual, you should get some sort of shop manual, particularly with the kind of work you are contemplating doing in your other thread. If you don`t want to do that, the oil filler cap or dipstick may say what viscosity oil to use, if not, I`m sure someone on here will volunteer it for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MikeWinLDS

Along with the oil change question, what about the different types of oil? There`s so many I don`t know what it all means. There`s like 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, etc. I`ve just been getting 10W-30 oil for my car. Also any reasons to use synthetic oil rather than conventional oil? Would it make changing your oil easier? (Went to the Bob oil guy website, but the layout and navigation is very bad, couldn`t find anything I was looking for, except maybe that filter study).
    The numbers on the oil bottles represent its viscosity (resistance to flow). The first set (xw or xxw) indicates its ability to flow in bench tests that are conducted at temperatures of around zero and below. The lower the number, the easier it will flow in cold temps, allowing easy starting and quickly lubricating your engine. The second set of numbers (ie 20, 30, 40) indicate its viscosity at tests conducted at about 212 degrees. The higher the number the more resistance to flow. You really should read what your owners manual says about what oil viscosity to run in your engine (if it is a new Honda it is probably 5W20). According the used oil reports that have been posted, these engines run very low wear rates with this oil.

As far as synthetics are concerned you can certainly use them if you want. Where they will out perform conventional oil is in sub zero temps and very high temps. If you live where starting your car in sub zero weather is common or you tow or drive triple digit speeds in the desert, then synthetics are a really good choice. If not then conventional oil will do just fine.

At bobistheoilguy it does take a lot of reading, but there is so much information it takes a long time to get through it all (just like this site) A few nights of intense reading and a person can learn about most brands and viscosities of oil. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MikeWinLDS

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Just strictly curious: I`m confused about new Mercedes oil filter changes, judging by the description below, the inside filter media is to be changed but the housing of the filter remains? I only see this filter media kit sold :confused

https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/l...Token=87594832

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

Just strictly curious: I`m confused about new Mercedes oil filter changes, judging by the description below, the inside filter media is to be changed but the housing of the filter remains?

Bill, most filters in the world consist of an element and a housing (think about the air filter on your car). There are probably other reasons, but probably partly to do with the mess, spin-on oil filters (an element and housing combo) have become common.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t appear to be the case with Mercedes unless they don`t sell a typical disposable filter to the public

I`ve never seen oil filter media for a modern car sold by itself before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

, judging by the description below, the inside filter media is to be changed but the housing of the filter remains?

]
    :up
    Black Mustang GT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information