Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in the market for a new car and like what I see including price/package on the 2004 Peugeot 206 SW Wagon Quicksilver edition (I need a small family wagon).

My concern however is, can I trust peugeot quality? I`ve searched on the web re: owner reviews (I`ve read enough roadtests etc.) to get a feeling for customer satisfaction with not only long term quality of Peugeot, but also service etc. but haven`t found alot. What I have found has ranged from - Peugeot sucks to it`s a great car so not very helpful given so few reviews by owners.

What`s your opinion of the NEW Peugeots (I know the older models were quite the lemons but then again so were Audi`s and now they are excellent but too expensive).

The only other equivalent for our needs/budget that we have our eye on is the Skoda Fabia wagon.

P.S. I live in Munich, Germany.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dhrama and :welcome. However, this is mainly a US based site. There`s a handful of Europeans who participate. So, you`ll probably have better luck with a European website. I don`t think Peugeot is imported into the US any more.

OH! Consumer Reports a non-profit, no adversitement accepted consumer products testing group. They have a magazine and website. They tested an A4 a couple of years ago. They thought it handled well, drove well and a nice finish (interior and exterior) but it wound up in the shop 2 or 3 times for electrical problems while they tested it. I think they test cars for 3 - 6 months. The car died and had to be towed. :sosad Sounds like my old 91 SAAB 900 turbo. :scared Fun but not reliable.

I`ve always been told to buy French food and Germany cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peugeot and Skoda both make good cars, as with many things, it is always possible to buy a `lemon`.

I found this quick review of the Peugeot 206 (August 2004)

From Autoexpress.co.uk

"Peugeot`s supermini has won a huge following since it was introduced. The model range consists of three and five-door hatchbacks, the fantastic `CC` cabriolet - which features a folding hardtop - and a `SW` estate model. Built in the UK, in such vast numbers we export them back to France for home consumption, the 206 regularly features among the UK`s top ten best-selling cars. It`s considered one of the more credible hatchbacks among younger buyers - to the benefit of sales. One of the more spacious offerings in the class the big cabin has a light and airy feel, though some of the interior plastics do feel a bit low-rent, despite a light facelift in Spring 2003. Since then there`s been more changes, with improved safety equipment and the option of a Tiptronic automatic gearbox. The engine choices are extensive, the diesels being the pick of the bunch, the petrol engines only being adequate against rivals. The original GTi is a bit of a disappointment too, Peugeot, once the king of the hot-hatch, producing a car with a 2.0-litre engine that simply couldn`t match the performance we`ve come to expect in the class. It has addressed these criticisms now, with the 180bhp GTI 180 and even a 1.6 HDI turbodiesel GTI model too. The GTI`s chassis is good; direct steering and faithful handling allowing keen drivers to take some pleasure from a sinuous routes - though all 206s drive well, with a nice ride and handling balance.

Some may find the driving position too high, and the offset pedals make finding a comfortable driving position problematic. It`s not been around now for that long, but it faces increasingly stiff competition from rivals like the Fiesta and Honda Jazz. Diversity, with the cabriolet (CC) and SW help keep interest high in the 206, but despite this, the 206 feels outclassed by the competition. That doesn`t seem to stop them flying out the showrooms though."

(I hope it is ok to quote from another web site?)

My advice would be to take the cars on an extended test drive ie not 10 minutes and speak to the service department about costs of servicing. Ask them some hard questions like what are the known problems if they say `none` I would not belive them

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go for a Peugeot, make sure it`s a diesel. I currently drive a 307 with the 110HDI engine and it really is a nice drive. Build quality and electrical faults are always in question with Pugs but I must say I`ve experienced none of this with the three Pugs that I`ve owned over the last nine years. Engine reliability has been second to none. As Lowejackson mentioned, you can always get a `lemon` no matter what brand of car you purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lowejackson

(I hope it is ok to quote from another web site?)
    No problem at all, as long as you attribute the quote (provide the URL or other source) and don`t represent the work as your own.

Tort

(moderator)

Thread Information