Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been looking around, trying to decide what will be the next addition to the stable, as a daily driver, and I`m intrigued by the looks of the BMW 323 coupe. (Mind you, I have to buy a used car; I can`t afford these new-car prices. ) I want something that`s fairly sporty-looking, but I`m not going to be racing it or modifying it. I just want something that`s comfortable, reliable, and fun to drive to work and on road trips. So I wondered if any of you own or owned or considered this car, what tips you have for me? I know I want an automatic transmission, and a sunroof is a must. From some reviews I`ve read, I gather that the models from 2000 on are better than those of 1999 and before. Does anybody have tips on what to look for, what to avoid, what is desirable/undesirable, etc.? I`ll appreciate all tips.

Thanks --

Lynn

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure the maintenance records are up-to-date. This is very inportant on bimmers. Also do an online search on the cars vin # ,to make sure not wrecked etc.Check for paint damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good points, Andrew ACR 2. Thanks! And, of course, as an Autopian, I won`t be able to help myself from checking out the detailing qualities of the bimmer. :lol

Is there a reason that maintenance records on a BMW are more significant than those of a Benz or Jag or anything else? (I ask because this is my first time even to think about a BMW, so I`m just a wellspring of ignorance on this subject.)

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW`s are the `Ultimate Driving Machines"......I am searching for a used M3. I`ve looked at three so far. Two were out of my price range and the 3rd was beat on & pooly serviced according to a very reputable Foreign car shops` mechanic. Take your possibilities to an expert...... offer to trade services. I`ve seen your work....you have much to offer:up
    2005 Harley Softtail, 1998 Infinity QX4, 1998 ContourSVT

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Terry

the 3rd was beat on & pooly serviced according to a very reputable Foreign car shops` mechanic. Take your possibilities to an expert......

I whole heartedly agree:up

Get a pros advice on the engine. If you have a mechanic you trust take it to him. He will be able to check things that you probably can`t or don`t know how to check. IE compression checks, radiator pressure and lots of other things that I don`t know about.

Good luck in your search.
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn, I don`t know how quickly you want to get this done but I`d suggest joining the BMW owners club here in the US...you`ll get their excellent publication, Roundel, and can better gage the marketplace for selling price, etc. I suspect the cars owned by a club member are better maintained as most of the men/women are fanatics about the cars and a very proud group as well.

The majority of these cars would be thoroughly documented (and then some), helping to relieve that concern. A well cared-for BMW is capable of providing excellent transportation for many years.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh, thanks for the tips so far!

Terry & Sullybob, your advice makes sense to me. And I certainly CANNOT make the kind of mechanical assessments that good mechanic could. Problem is, I`m in a one-horse town where there ARE no reliable import mechanics. (Trust me, I`ve already been well-burned on the Benz and Jags.) And I expect I`ll be buying from somebody out of town or even out-of-state. Any recommendations on how to do this at long-distance?

TomP: That`s a great tip. I`m not in a rush to buy this car. Just want it done by autumn. Your tip about buying from a club member makes tons o` sense. I`ll see if I can find their site.

Thanks, folks! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Andrew ACR 2

Make sure the maintenance records are up-to-date. This is very inportant on bimmers. Also do an online search on the cars vin # ,to make sure not wrecked etc.Check for paint damage.
    This was a great tip, Andrew. So far, I`ve been smitten with 2 of the 3-series BMWs. VIN research revealed that one had been wrecked, and 1 had been a rental for 2 years. Needless to say, I dropped those puppies fast!

And, with a bit more research, I`m now inclined to believe the 323 may be a bit underpowered for my purposes, so I`m looking at the 325, 328, or 330 also. So ... anybody else has tips, I`ll sure appreciate them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also include a little extra into your budget to fix any minor issues like new tyres or servicing to ensure your car is perfect when you drive it home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn,

I have owned two of these very fine vehicles. A 2000 323i ( 4 door – 5 spd) and my wife’s current 328i (4 door Automatic). Fantastic drivers cars. As you probably aware from your Jag and MB ownership parts for these cars can be expensive and the maintenance schedule is a little more costly. However to me personally these additional cost are worth it because I like the way the car rides, drives, handles and performs.

Things to consider: Options. The ride and handling of these cars is effected by the suspension and tires on the car. Drive a car equipped with the sports package and a car with the same engine transmission configuration without the sports package and decide. The sports package increases the spring rates and uses a bigger sway bar and comes with a couple of other items. There is also a premium package (bigger wheels and lots of interior options but if my memory serves me it does not change the suspension settings). My wife’s car has both the premium and sports package. A nice comfortable ride but a little more “taught†than the ride of say a Lexus. I really like it and my wife really doesn’t notice any difference. An option I would highly recommend is the xexon lights. The other options are just personal preference. My 323 only had the sports package, sunroof, xexons and heated seats. My wife’s car has every option except the xexons and the Nav system. Of all the nice thing her car has I miss the xexons of the 323 (well and the 5-spd).

Have an inspection performed by someone who knows what they are looking for. The ball joints are know to wear quickly on the e46. The repair necessitates the replacement of the A-arm because they are not serviceable at a price by an independent shop of around $575 (ask me how I know). The BMW inline 6’s are basically bullet proof but some of the other systems like the air conditioning and options can cause some problems. Note that on 2001 model year BMW changed the steering to a more boosted feel. Most of auto industry media screamed that it destroyed the driving feel. BMW changed back to the system used in the 99-00 cars in the 02 model year. I have never driven a 2001 so I can’t comment on the driving feel.

As for the 323 being under powered. Drive and decide. Horsepower figures do not tell the whole story. It may or may not be depending on what you are looking for. The 330 definitely offers more power than the 323 but it will also cost quite a bit more. The BMW experience is really about driving dynamics not raw HP and torque. You will not find a smoother running and pulling engine than the BMW inline 6. The best description I can give is “turbine†smooth. The power delivery is very refined and linear with no real “rushes†or “peaks†just smooth acceleration. I have driven many other sedans with much better HP figures than our 328i but I find the 328i more satisfying to drive. It drives like it has more power than what the figures say. The same was true of the 323.

There are many of these cars so getting the right car for the right price should not be difficult. Enjoy the search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great tips so far. Thanks. I`m currently looking at one in NJ. It`s on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWA:IT. Anybody in that area interested in doing a test-drive/inspection for me? If so, PM me and we can talk about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d stay away from that one. Two words "salvage title".

Another on-line resource to discuss BMWs is www.bimmerforums.com - I was interested in early `90s 3-series a while back, but couldn`t find one good enough.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Lynn, try roadfly.com then BMW. Or bimmerfest.com. tyresmoke.com

I hope you’ll find the right car for youâ€

My experience (as an owner) of this marquee (323i and 633i) was some twenty five + years ago, my Father had a BMW dealership (where I first learnt detailing) for a number of years

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acura TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Naa, the TL doesn`t offer nearly the driving experience of the 3 series. I`ve not driven a new one but I`ve heard its still not there (its front drive). I personally would buy the TL over the 3, but I prefer the cushier ride over handling dynamics (a`la what I`m driving). Plus second gen TL`s have horrible tranny problems...

Lynn- I would stay away from any car in NJ. NJ gets a lot of snow and has a lot of hard roads with heavy fast moving traffic. In my opinion any car that has lived in NJ has lived a very hard life...

Get one from somewhere southern enough to be snow free but not coastal enough to have salt damage...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information