Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at an Audi A6, but I`m not digging poor the reliability record. I`ve found this 2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen for $22k and it seems to be the perfect choice. Anyone have any objective comments about this car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Being Swedish myself it has always been one of my favorites. I really like Delta Wing fighters.

Just kidding, really couldn`t resist

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 Aero - not quite as powerful as the Viggen (205bhp compared to 225bhp). Used to own an Audi (A3) before that. Quality of interior materials not quite up to Audi`s standards. Also you need to watch the torque steer - boot it in first and the front end squirms all over the place. Having said that I still love it Never buy another Audi - but that`s down to the dealer attitudes (i.e. arrogance) rather than the cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had the $$ I`d buy a Viggen cabrio today. Having said that, I`d agree with PhilS about the interior appointments and torque steer. I shopped the A6 aggressively in 2000 but ended up with a 9-5 and am glad I did. The A6 is an elegant car, esp the interior design. Its refined, smooth, and solid feeling. But the Saab is much more performance oriented and feels light on its feet. You didn`t say which A6 model you`re shopping for so its hard to offer a clear comparison but being a former 9-5 owner and having compared the two cars very closely, I`m glad I ended up with the Saab.

The 9-3 will feel more dated to the Audi, prolly rattle and squeak more, and may not have all the "wow and delight" features you want. But the 9-3 will be more involving to drive and own. And it will have plenty of personality and character.

Instead of me babbling on about a car I don`t own, check out www.saabnet.com and read the 9-3 Bulletin Board. If you search the 9-3 board for "audi" or "a6" you`ll probably find posts about comparing both cars. Good luck with your shopping, both are great cars.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. bretfraz, thanks especially for your insight. The A6 I was targeting was the 4.2. I know it`s in a different class with 300hp and all, but I did a lot of research on the A6 4.2 specifically, and it wasn`t a pretty picture. All the reviews raved about the interior and the power, but it was all over-ridden by the horror stories of catastrophic failures that cost thousands to fix. That is a deal-killer for me. I like to have a more agile, lively car as opposed to the solid, refrigerator-like feel of the big Audi and it`s even better that the Saab is considered by most to be reliable. Plus, with recent fuel cost increases in mind, the more efficient Saab is a much more prudent choice when pitted against the monster Audi V8.

Post Thanks / Like
    double-post...dammit!

Thread Information