Post Thanks / Like
    I`m getting a new BMW 325i in about a week and I was going to have the dealer have a clear bra installed prior to me picking the car up. I`m a bit surprised at the price they quoted me as it seems kind of high.

I looked at the Xpel and Armorglove sites and it doesn`t look like the material costs that much so I was wondering what is a reasonable price for this installed? I was thinking of having it put on the hood and front bumper.
    2004 BMW 325i - Titanium Silver, Premium, Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    EXCELLENT shop did my Accord, "Hood/sides" and complete bumper,3M, for "$300". Normal $350. ($500,including dark film on four windows and back.) "Lifetime" and a first class job. They have done all my vehicles since 1990. Very inexpensive compared to other areas of the US. i.e. Denver, CO. (((This is just me, but, having once sold Hondas, I wouldn`t let a dealership install an air freshener.))):xyxthumbs

:usa

Post Thanks / Like

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    MartyGrant: (This is just me, but, having once sold Hondas, I wouldn`t let a dealership install an air freshener.)))

I just wanted to emphasize that!

Dealers (yes, BMW) can permanently mar your finish in SO many ways!!!

Most of us don`t let them even wash our cars.

My local tint shop did our 01 VW GTI VR6, using the 3M material from a stock roll. No precuts. Quite nice!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ever consider doing it yourself? If you are reasonably adept at keeping things clean and have some patience you can do it yourself and save BIG bucks. I install all my clear bras as well as countless friends. I use Xpel.

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jimamary

I just wanted to emphasize that!

Dealers (yes, BMW) can permanently mar your finish in SO many ways!!!

Jim

Oh, YES! SO MANY WAYS.

When I picked up my new car last month, the lot boy chipped my paint twice and marred it with the nozzel of the gas hose. So much for a full tank of gas.:shocked

Oh, yes. Nice work, Brad.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Brad B.

[B]Ever consider doing it yourself? If you are reasonably adept at keeping things clean and have some patience you can do it yourself and save BIG bucks. I install all my clear bras as well as countless friends. I use Xpel.

I thought about but wasn`t too sure then I went to the new car show that was in Calgary this weekend and saw a demonstration from an Xpel dealer in town (I forgot their name, and I have their card here somewhere). I was surprised how straight forward the application was. Granted this guy was pretty quick but the installation was as I imagined using soapy water to position and then squeegie in place.

The kit`s aren`t too bad a price either, he quoted about $400 for the full front end kit for the 325i (that`s CDN so take off 33% or so for USD).

Do you think the area around the grill (particularly the centre divider, I`m also a first time BMW owner so I don`t know the proper name for this part) and the headlight washers would be too tricky for a first timer?
    2004 BMW 325i - Titanium Silver, Premium, Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll definately save money if you get it yourself, rather than through the dealer. Most dealers will just outsource this, and get an external clear bra installer to do the job, and add a mark-up to his fee.

Pricing probably varies a lot by region (depending on supply/demand, what market will bear).

I also have a BMW with no clear bra (it`s a 1999 - 740, already with chips, so forget the clear bra), and recently got a Infiniti G35 (similar size to the 5-series) on which I got the clear bra installed on the (hood/front fenders, front bumper, and side-mirrors).

The front bumper on the G35 is a relatively complex install. I can`t visualize whether the front bumper on the new 3-series is complex or not.

Last October, the best quotes I got in Toronto where $490 CAD from ShieldPro, and $600 CAD from Chipguard, installed. I went with Chipguard because the installer was highly recommended, and Chipguard does a full wrap around seams and edges (e.g. he removes the front grill to wrap the film around so that the edge isn`t visable, wraps around all edges). Whereas many others would leave a very small gap between the edge film and the grill/headlights, etc... To me paying $100 or so more for the careful wrapped installation was well worth it. I believe of the almost 2/3 of the $600 cost related to the front bumper (hood/fenders were relatively easy).

Maybe info on Toronto prices can help you out in Calgary. Chipguard does have a location in Calgary. You might have to bargain a bit... Maybe you can do even better, as my impression is prices aren`t increasing.

I think it`s a wise investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll definately save money if you get it yourself, rather than through the dealer. Most dealers will just outsource this, and get an external clear bra installer to do the job, and add a mark-up to his fee.

Pricing probably varies a lot by region (depending on supply/demand, what market will bear).

I also have a BMW with no clear bra (it`s a 1999 - 740, already with chips, so forget the clear bra), and recently got a Infiniti G35 (similar size to the 5-series) on which I got the clear bra installed on the (hood/front fenders, front bumper, and side-mirrors).

The front bumper on the G35 is a relatively complex install. I can`t visualize whether the front bumper on the new 3-series is complex or not.

Last October, the best quotes I got in Toronto where $490 CAD from ShieldPro, and $600 CAD from Chipguard, installed. I went with Chipguard because the installer was highly recommended, and Chipguard does a full wrap around seams and edges (e.g. he removes the front grill to wrap the film around so that the edge isn`t visable, wraps around all edges). Whereas many others would leave a very small gap between the edge film and the grill/headlights, etc... To me paying $100 or so more for the careful wrapped installation was well worth it. I believe of the almost 2/3 of the $600 cost related to the front bumper (hood/fenders were relatively easy).

Maybe info on Toronto prices can help you out in Calgary. Chipguard does have a location in Calgary. You might have to bargain a bit... Maybe you can do even better, as my impression is prices aren`t increasing.

I think it`s a wise investment.

Thread Information