Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to change my own oil. It seems easy as can be. I feel like a boob since I don`t do it myself. I like the idea of being able to care for my car a little more besides detailing.

However, do any of you change it without jacking it up or going up wheel ramps?

I`m a little nervous about doing that especially since I would have to get under the car! (and I have never done it, nor do I have friends who have either).

Can I reach the filter by crawling underneath (not an SUV)? Can I extract the oil without removing the drain plug?

How are some ways you guys do it?

If I need wheel ramps or a jack, can you provide me with some recommendations? Any do it yourself websites about this?

Thanks!
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez your right next door, stop by one day and we can change your oil..

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont need to jack up my car to change it

Most any vehicle less than a fullsize truck or SUV will require you to jack up the front or get some ramps.

Why not remove the drain plug? It`s just a simple bolt?

Yes, you can buy an oil extractor that will suction out the old fluid.

Filter access will vary from car to car.

A VW or jetta forum would be most helpful for specifics on your car.
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    If I get wheel ramps for the front wheels, what should the clearance be?

Sears has for $50, 7.5" clearance steel wheel ramps that hold 2500lbs (my car is a tiny civic). Is that high enough?
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check out AutoZone. They have Rhino Ramps, which are low-profile and designed to accomodate the low ground clearances on today`s cars. Best part is they are $25, and support plenty of weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Either your Civic or VW is cake to change the oil. When I change mine, I use a jack to raise it, you`ll see a little bump of metal slightly off center in the front of the car to use as a lift point to raise the whole front. Then place jack stands on the jack points just behind each front wheel. Of course, never get under a car that`s not supported by stands or ramps.

For the Civic you`ll need crush-rings to replace around the oil drain plug, otherwise it`ll leak. Buy them at Honda for like 5 cents each, get a bunch. Get the proper oil and filter while you`re there too.

After the car is raised and supported, loosen the drain plug and remove it. Use gloves, and don`t drop it in the oil pan. It`s best to do when the oil is warm so all the contaminants will drain as well. Up top, be sure the oil filler cap is loosened or removed. After it`s drained, place the crush ring around the drain plug (after removing the old one...it`s like a washer) and reinstall it and tighten it, but don`t overtighten.

Now remove the filter. You`ll see it maybe 10 inches above the area where the drain plug is. Be sure the oil pan is below the filter area as it contains more oil. Use a filter wrench if it`s tight. Wipe around the filter area to remove any old gasket material. Wipe some clean oil on the rubber gasket of the new filter and install it. Hand tighten it, then give it another 1/4 turn.

Now lower the car. Add the new oil. If your Civic is a 1.6L, I think it calls for 3.8qt. but better check. So in that case, only add 3 quarts and check the level on the dipstick. If it looks close, start the car and let it run for a few min. Shut it off, let it sit for another few, then check again and add as needed so the oil level is between the 2 lines on the stick. OH...and right when you start the car, dive to the floor and check for leaks!!! Haha. That should be it. It seems like alot the first few times but after a while it`s such a simple task. And it`s a chance to get more intimate with your car. Good luck.
    Anthony

VW GTI 20th Anniversary Edition #0293

Flawless Auto Detailing - "Expect Perfection"

Post Thanks / Like
    It isn`t too bad on my car, other than the filter is on the back of the engine. Once it is up on ramps, I can do it quickly....but I don`t. It`s a PITA to have to take the old oil up to the lube goons for recycling. I also have to clean up when I finish. It`s just easier to take it to a quick lube place and have it done in about 10 minutes. No muss, no fuss and I stay clean.

I do change my own spark plugs, plug wires, ignition components, all the typical tune up stuff. Starter r/r is a 20 minute job, I can swap the distributer in about 10 minutes (only goes in one way) and a few other things. I save too much money on those types of repairs.

When I had my Chevelle, I did everything, including rebuilding an engine and installing it, swapping transmissions, rear ends etc. Not as easy to do on a modern FWD car though.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    i do my own oil. i drive a civic so i have to set my car on jackstands to reach the oil filter easy to do, with the proper equipment. like scottwax said it is easier to take it to the local shop(we even have a chain out here where you dont leave your car, lube express ) but i use synthetic in mine and it would be like $60 + to have them use mobil one and a genuine honda filter :shocked to get my oil filter off i use this oil filter wrench which i highly recommend

if i`m not mistaken, look under the jetta, near the radiator and you should see your oil filter maybe even dead center facing down. if you do, god your lucky. that would make it super easy....btw cant go wrong wit rhino ramps( always....always....chock the wheels )

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Spilchy

(my car is a tiny civic).

I based my post on this, but you can do your Jetta just as easily. I have a 1.8T GTI and it`s the same processs, without the crush rings.
    Anthony

VW GTI 20th Anniversary Edition #0293

Flawless Auto Detailing - "Expect Perfection"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ntwrkguy1

You might want to check out AutoZone. They have Rhino Ramps, which are low-profile and designed to accomodate the low ground clearances on today`s cars. Best part is they are $25, and support plenty of weight.
    I second that. Also, they`re designed to be very easy to drive on to . . . the slope is not as pronounced as most of the steel ramps I`ve seen, and the bottom of the ramps have rubber "feet" that prevent it from sliding as you start up the ramp. And, there`s a nice fat lip on the large "plateau" of the ramp, so there`s less worry of overshooting.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m very fortunate to have cars I don`t have to go under to change the filter. I had a pair of Rhino ramps once and my car fell off one and punctured it :scared.

To make the job as easy and clean as possible consider getting an oil extractor too. There are a few threads where myself and others have discussed them. It is one of the best tool I`ve ever purchased. It does get all the oil out and best yet you can change the oil when warm ( best to get all contaminants out) without burning your hands. When I change my oil I just let the extractor go to work and I go and do ther things, usually apply some more sealant to my wheels. I highly recommend :up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas! I appreciate the feedback. I`ll try it it in the warmer weather.

In the meantime, I`ll take it, as always, to Jiffy Lube every 3 months.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy, the RhinoRamps are fine and can be found at Autozone, Walmart or Pepboys.

It would be ideal if you could have someone look over your shoulder the first time to make sure they can instruct you on basic underhood "manners", if I may.

Oil changes are straightforward and it gives you the opportunity to poke around and make sure all else is in order.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    My car`s way too low for the ramps I have or else I would use them. I use 2 craftsman 1.5 ton jack stands and I leave a jack by one of them in case it slips or something.

It is really way too easy once you start doing it. Enjoy and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    One bad thing about using an oil extractor is that you don`t get a chance to look at the drain plug to see if there are pieces of metal or anything indicating a problem with your engine.

Also, if you take your car to jiffy lube or whatever, you MUST check the oil level, and make sure that the fill cap is secure. I know way to many people you have had underfills or the dudes forgot to put the fill cap back on. Besides that, it is kind of nice not to have to hassle with it, and the cost is right (I let take my beater to them, but change the oil myself on my real car).
    `86 Porsche 951 garnet red metallic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information