Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Im interested in what kind of car you people would reccomend. Im a college student, so it would be a daily driver. Im looking for something more fuel efficient than my current ford 460 big block. Im also looking for something thats newer, 1990 and up, and under $5000. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like my 1995 eclipse in the GST flavor...has 120K on it has been reliable, can move sometimes...when it wants to. gets almost 30mpg if i behave and don`t violate the law. but there are much more economical cars out there and much less expensive to fix should they break down. Civics are cheap to fix and run forever....there are people on this forum that have had many more cars than me and can offerm much better suggestions.

chheers and good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I`ll consider an Eclpise, but you mentioned that they`re expensive to fix when the inevitable happens, and something does go wrong. Now I know that something will go wrong with every car eventually, but I`d like the repairs to be not so expensive. I sounds like a nice car but not one for someone with a strapped budget. Isn`t the Eclipse Mitsubishis sporty type car too? That would mean high insurance rates and explain why its somewhat expensive to repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Id look at the civic coupe,accord or even a maxima.If you can get one that has been maintained well it will last 300000 miles.These are easy to find and price is attractive.The gas mileage is nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    the car is classified as a high performance turbocharged vehicle.....or something to that effect. I dunno why........ turbocharged yes.....high performance, no. There is a GS version that isnt turbo charged and the insurance rates are reasonable. you can also get a ragtop version but a decent one of those for under 5k is not easy to find. The parts for my car arent all that expensive....its the labor. Everything is so jam packed in there it takes awhile to get at whatever needs to be replaced. The good part is its not all that hard of a vehicle ot work on your self if you have the time/tools.

You can find early model Civic Si`s in good condition, but thier insurance rates are rather high because car nabbers keep their eyes out for the nice ones.

Best of Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I`ll go and check out some civics, accords, and maximas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a civic crx.If you dont mind a 2 seater I loved everything about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone suggest some reliable domestic cars? I don`t have anything againts imports, other than the fact that I think they`re quite ugly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tedkazinski3

Can anyone suggest some reliable domestic cars?

You might consider a GM car with a 3800 engine. They are pretty bulletproof, and the trannies they mate to are pretty strong. The only problem some of the newer ones have is with the composite intake manifold leaking coolant. Heh, maybe that`s a reason to get a blown 3800 as they have a metal intake manifold. They are also surprising in the mileage they get. Easily in the high 20`s or low 30`s mpg.

You may be able to get a early-mid 90`s Bonneville or Olds 88 for around $5k. I believe they were redesigned around 1994 and were nice, large cars. There were also smaller (though big compared to imports) cars like the Regal or Grand Prix or others with the 3800.

You might also consider any of the Quad-4/Twin-Cam engined cars. The Olds Achieva SC/SCX was a pretty cool car (IMO), and could be had in up to 180-190hp trim and with a manual tranny. They were pretty reliable 4-bangers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by cardsfaninky

I had a civic crx.If you dont mind a 2 seater I loved everything about it.

yes, they rock!

Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, Ill look into the olds and the crx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought, but since you mention having a huge motored car now, you could probably buy a decent 89-92 Camaro/Firebird with a 305 or 350 TPI motor. The 305 could be had with a 5-speed manual. The powertrains on those cars are bulletproof, and with 4-wheel discs, no more dealing with drum springs (a big plus to me... man I hate drum brakes). Also, you could probably buy a late-80`s Monte Carlo SS with a 4-barrel 305 in great shape for $5k. They were pretty cool in a hick sort of way. Plus, they have a lot of room and are easy to work on. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I think being in college is the major influence here.With insurance and gas the Monte SS firebird and camaro arent and option.Parking is a concern too.Plus,if he has a two seater all the guys wont be bumming rides with him.Good luck.In an "american car" maybe a probe,malibu or cavalier?

Post Thanks / Like
    Im a Toyota, Honda, Nissan person , in that order. Ive had nothing but positive experiences with these vehicles. I especially recommend the toyota 22r motors. I am partial to trucks too. 2wd are cheaper on insurance, and are pretty bullet proof. I had a 89 toyota 2wd truck from 91-2000. It had 25,000 miles on it when I bought it, and 173,000 when I sold it. 22r, carb engine, manual transmission. When the timing chain started slapping at 160,000 , the tech at Toyota said when he pulled the cover off, that it looked brand damn new. He wanted to know what kind of oil I used. I used Amsoil oil and filters to about 100k, and then switched to Castrol GTX 10-40, as I had a issue with the store that carried the amsoil, anyway he took a picture to send to toyota. Sorry for the rant. My Dad has a 95 4 cylinder nissan truck with 288,000 miles, original engine, and he isnt as anal about service as I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

You might consider a GM car with a 3800 engine. They are pretty bulletproof, and the trannies they mate to are pretty strong.

You may be able to get a early-mid 90`s Bonneville or Olds 88 for around $5k.

uff, I am NEVER falling for that joke again! Selling my 1990 Bonneville was the best move I ever made! Economic car, I think not. That thing was as thirsty as a Hummer. I must say, it was a comfortable car, tons of bells and whistles, and only left me stranded once....but I had to put about $2500 into in the last couple months I had it.

On the other hand, I had a 1992 Skylark which I loved...that got good (enough) gas mileage; it had a few things I had to have fixed....computer and tranny solenoid, and brakes....lots of brakes, but they are cheap enough.

Now I have 2 Civics and I am not looking back! (except that the older one got flooded today and had a TERRIBLE time starting...but eventually she went!)

:nixweiss :xyxthumbs :wavey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information