Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I`m laying out the plan for my "ultimate car" and I need some help in the brake department. The car I`m building is a `68 VW Bug , it will be a daily driver and will be powered by typeIV enigine , displacement not yet decieded. Needless to say the car will move, I want it to stop just as well. I have two brake choices 996 brakes or Boxster units, I have driven a 911 and love the brakes but I don`t have enough wheel time in a Boxster to determine how good they are. Do they fade at all, I really like the fact that the 996 brakes don`t fade even after being on the track for hours. Cost is somewhat of a factor but I won`t forsake performance over cost. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I owned a 2000 Boxster for about 18 months, never a fade issue. The 993 brakes would also work well for your application. Never faded for me. I have never heard of any standard 993 braking system having any fade issue (except for one track junkie who upgraded to the turbo brakes (big reds) because under extreme conditions on a track that was notoriously hard on brakes he thought he was getting some fade at the end of the session). Brakes from the 964 911`s would also be a good choice. Most Porsche`s have great fade free braking systems.

Another thought, do some checking (maybe Rennlist) but I would not be surprised if the standard 996 brakes are the same as the standard Boxster brakes (I know the Boxster S has big reds).

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the input bet993, I was thinking the 986 Boxster brakes where close to if not the same as 993 units. thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug,

Go with Boxster S`s brakes,they are the same as 996 ones:up

Serg:wavey
    2002 996 TT ( love her )
    2004 996 C2 ( will be replaced with 997 )
    2005 C 230 SS ( daily )
    2000 Land Rover Discovery ( wife`s )

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Porsche do the best brakes as standard. I know some people who do GT racing in the UK and on changing from Porsche to Ferrari had to spend $5000 to get the Ferrari brakes up to the same level as the Porsche ones.

My friend has the GT2 and when he let me drive it I nearly went through the widscreen just breathing on the brakes.

Steve
    Official thread KILLER !!!

Thread Information