Post Thanks / Like
    THE BAD LUCK:

This morning on my way to work I was passing a truck carrying a load of pipe. Suddenly that loud pop sound and you know you have been hit by a rock. A quick glance over to the passenger side of the car reveals a 6" long crack in my windshield!

THE GOOD LUCK:

Fortunately, subsequent inspection showed no damage to the paint. New windshield will be installed on Friday. Still a bummer.

The bright side: Nothing like new glass to improve your view. Replacement is a no cost, no deductible item. I`ve been driving for 31 years and this is the first windshield I`ve had to replace. Hopefully, I`m good for another 30+ years!
    `95 BMW M3 Alpine White

`01 BMW 330Ci Silver

`02 Toyota Tundra Black

`90 BMW 325i Calypso Red(Sold)

Blue-Sun
    thank god a pipe didn`t fall off that truck and hurt you/the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider yourself lucky (in regards this being your first replacement) and thankful that it won`t cost you.

I have to travel 40 miles to and from work every day on the Interstate and have to change windshields about every 5 years. Usually, at the end of this time, I already have a couple of those small splinters in the windshield until the big one comes along anddoes a big smash and crack.

If only someone would invent an energy forcefield to keep off all rocks, bugs, tar, rain, etc.
    Happy drivin`,

Rich

`04 Acura TSX SatinSilverMetallic/Ebony 6MT #1681

Post Thanks / Like
    larry_bar56 - Wow, I`m sure glad nothing worse happened. Be careful about getting that windshield replaced. There are some good threads on the subject that are worth searching for. If the shop cuts through the paint in the windshield channel, you`ll get rust-out in a year or so. This happens fairly often, so be forwarned.

You`ll like the new glass, especially at night and/or in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Thanks for the warning. How can I tell if they cut through? Unless I stand over them while they do it...and even then I probably wouldn`t know what I was looking for.
    `95 BMW M3 Alpine White

`01 BMW 330Ci Silver

`02 Toyota Tundra Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry_bar56,

Check on a BMW board about the specifics of replacing an M3 windshield, because some cars have unique features or quirks to the replacement of windshields which means not all glass replacement services are created equal. It may be straight forward and nothing and it could be like my 993 where you want people who have done 993 windshield before. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bet993,

After some research, it seems that it`s all about installation. Yea, some people claimed that PPG was better than OEM (although I think the term "OEM" is frequently misused, especially in this context). Most people that had problems complained about wind noise which would indicate poor installation.

I`m using J.N. Phillips Glass, they are big here in New England. A friend just had his windshield replaced by them and was very happy with the work.

I will be out there asking questions and checking to make sure some bull riders belt buckle doesn`t scratch the hell out of my paint.
    `95 BMW M3 Alpine White

`01 BMW 330Ci Silver

`02 Toyota Tundra Black

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I was going to have to do the same awhile back - had a small (well, large at the time) scare.

Was doing about 100-110 on the way to Austin to pick up some paperwork I needed desperately the next day, when all of a sudden the world slows down. The truck in front of me that I was about to pass kicks up a chunk of asphalt the size of my fist...I see the comet screaming towards me, grinning with an evil gleam in its eyes as it heads for the half inch thick piece of glass between my skull and the rock.

THWACK!

Loudest damn thing I ever heard in that car....but it didn`t crack my windshield, somehow. I`m amazed it didn`t shatter it, much less crack it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy Cow!!!

That`s amazing. I didn`t even see the thing that hit me and I was only going 70-75, you know, the speed limit, when it happened.

You are very lucky, my friend. That could have been a disaster.

What kind of car were driving?
    `95 BMW M3 Alpine White

`01 BMW 330Ci Silver

`02 Toyota Tundra Black

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a 1998 Integra GSR Sedan - fun little car, but I ended up getting rid of it a few months later - not fast enough, and I dislike FWD.

Also...what`s a speed limit? :p I adhere to those when I`m in town, but whenever I travel, it`s usually around 90-100, depending on how much of a hurry I`m in. The worst was going to Midland from Houston - it`s about a 8-9 hour drive. I had to do it in about 6 - took the whole thing at 110+ (except for a 10 minute jaunt at 60 when a state trooper pulled onto the highway right in front of me)...in a car that was pulling left because of a bad tire. By the time we got there, my arms were so tired from holding the wheel that I couldn`t even pick them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry....

Where are you takling the Bimmer for the windshield repair?

I have always had excellent service from J.N. Phillips on Bolton Street in "our fair City".

Alan`s Glass Works on Mechanic Street (also in "our fair City") is another provider of expert windshield repair.

Thread Information