Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone ever do this before? Its an 95 Aurora, but I`m pretty sure that 95-99 should all be the same. I`ve been leaking coolant out of the pulley side of the water pump when I shut the car off, and I`m assuming that the pressure is causing it to leak out of there when the car is shut off.

Anyway, I`m just looking for some advice. I have average skills with car repair, and I have almost any tool I would need to use. I changed the belt for the water pump last summer, and that took about 20-30 minutes.

Should I attempt this one by myself, or is this one of those jobs better left to my mechanic? Thanks a lot!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d make sure you can at least look at the repair manual for your car. They are good to have anyway as they are a wealth of info. I believe you also need a special tool. You should be able to find both the manual (probably a set of 2 or 3 books) on Ebay as well as the Northstar/Aurora water pump tool.

I`d scan you the pages from my water pump, but there were some fairly large changes to the way the water pump and throttle body and block are connected on my car vs. yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. I wasn`t really wanting to spend the $50 - $80 the manuals go for, but I may do it anyway. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mogulmonster

OK. I wasn`t really wanting to spend the $50 - $80 the manuals go for, but I may do it anyway. Thanks.

A repair manual is about the best money you can spend on your car, even if you don`t do your own work. The Honda ones (at least the factory ones) have great troubleshooting guides that are invaluable in helping you diagnose problems, so even if you have someone else do the work, you have a good idea of what needs to be done so it is harder for them to BS you.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mogulmonster

Anyone ever do this before? Its an 95 Aurora, but I`m pretty sure that 95-99 should all be the same. I`ve been leaking coolant out of the pulley side of the water pump when I shut the car off, and I`m assuming that the pressure is causing it to leak out of there when the car is shut off.

Which part of the pulley is it leaking the coolant? I`m not sure about the Aurora, but I assume centrifugal water pump designs are the same across different makes. If it`s leaking coolant through a weep hole, then the water pump has reached the end of its life. However, if it`s over at the gasket side (highly unlikely unless it was installed incorrectly in the first place), then the gasket`s shot. Either way, it`s better to replace it altogether.

I agree with the others about the repair manual. It`s the best $20+ I spent my money on. If you`re adventurous enough and have at least basic mechanical know-how, I suggest you go for it. If it seems like a back-breaking job due to accessibility issues (some engine bays are too crammed to easily dismantle the water pump), then maybe it`s best to leave it to a pro.

Thread Information