Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&N Air Filter

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a one owner 93 Corvette. Have been told by quite a few people that I should purchase a K&N Air Filter for this auto. After looking at the prices and hassle of having to oil them was wondering if it is worth it or just stay with the AC Delco listed in the owners manual.

Any advice would be taken to heart.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you mean the simple drop-in filter that just replaces the OEM type filter, then don`t bother. It`s almost universally regarded as a waste of time and money for negligible (if any) power gains.

If you want something worthwhile, you`ll have to buy some kind of intake system that replaces part of or adapts to the stock intake. Usually these kinds of things are either:

a)A cone filter that bolts on under the hood somewhere

b)A cold air intake (CAI) system that uses tubes leading to a fender well or someplace and (usually) a cone filter at the end.

c)Some kind of ram-air system

You`ll have to see what`s available of course. Typically these intakes by themselves offer a few more horses, but not a huge amount. They work better with other upgrades such as exhaust, but that increases noise levels substantially. One of the nicest things about an intake system is that while it might only give a modest power boost, it makes the engine more "growly" and tougher sounding when pushed hard and at higher RPM, but doesn`t throb your eardrums the way high performance mufflers can around town at low RPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was what I was thinking and looking at the cost. But also feel it`s wise to get more advice where ever you can then make an informed choice. Feel the money saved by buying an OEM filter could best be spent on Detailing supplies.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the drop in on my vehicle, I find that it DOES seem to make maintenance cheaper in the long run. I usually can get about 3 cleanings/re-oilings out of one kit (kits to clean/re-oil are $10, each new stock filter for mine is $15.) which saves me quite a bit of $$. That makes it so that, over time, you will save money from replacing the stock filters.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen many reports via oil analysis that K&N filters actually let more dirt into the engine. It isn`t a large enough amount in my opinion to discourage thier use. I will know more when I get my oil analyzed in a couple of months. I have been told that Donaldson air filters flow very well and also filter great too. I don`t know where you could buy those at.

If you are looking at performance improvement, look at SLP for an induction kit for your vette.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a K&N cone filter. I have found it to give me some power gains over the stock, restrictive air intake. (and it sounds a whole lot better!).....

As far as cleaning, it`s a breeze.

I just take off the filter, spray on the cleaner, hose it off, towel it dry and spray on the fresh oil.

If you`re into car maintenance at all, its quite simple.

Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    g2 www.bobistheoilguy.com if you want some real analysis`s on k&ns!!!

over there, they do many reports on air filters on their forums. Most of them show a lot of silicon when a k&n is used. Mostly it has to do with the sealing of the filter.
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recently purchased a K and N replacement filter for my F150. I have had K and N filters on all my cars and have never had any issues with them. The performance gains are minimal but I figure you save money in the long run in replacing the OEM filters.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a K&N drop in and ended up switching back to the stock paper one. No apparent gains from the butt dyno and my gas mileage dropped.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Luster

I use a K&N cone filter. I have found it to give me some power gains over the stock, restrictive air intake. (and it sounds a whole lot better!).....

As far as cleaning, it`s a breeze.

I just take off the filter, spray on the cleaner, hose it off, towel it dry and spray on the fresh oil.

If you`re into car maintenance at all, its quite simple.

Its not the filter that is giving you that sound. Its the short ram intake you`ve got there. The filter itself probably isn`t doing a whole lot for you. I put a short ram on my car because I liked the sound better than the full length CAI. I like how it fills out my engine bay too. People say that the CAI will give you more power, but I don`t believe it. I highly doubt that a tube with a filter on it can provide any noticable power gains. I did notice that my fuel economy improved with the shorty on there. That is always a good thing. I don`t have a K&N on it but I do have a good filter. I think that`s all that matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aftermarket mods are the norm in the motorcycle world. K&N, Uni, and others are common place. To a man, every motorcyclist who has tried a K&N have found no gains. Slip on exhausts, no gains. Sometimes there are even power losses. Many people have complained (not proven, but conjectured) of premature engine wear from using free flow filters allowing to much debris into the intake.

What has worked are a free flow exhaust (most stock filters are foam free flow type now), full pipe (headers and exhaust), a jet kit, or a remapping of the fuel curve on an injected engine, timing advancers, and the like.

I think Jngrbrdman and others have summarized these mods. If you like the way they look and sound, go for it. But if you are after real world power gains, look elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    what did you decide to do.. obviously, there are a lot of different opinions on this matter. I have changed all my air filters on the motorcycle, and three vehicles to K&N. I think it saves money because you can go for about 50k miles before you clean it.. by the time you would have changed the paper elements you do save money and hassle.. but that is my .02 worth on this..

They really do flow more air, whether that gives you a performance advantage would only depend on a lot of other factors. But they do flow more air, that part is pretty undisputed.

Dana

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention that the increase in volume and change in sound is probably due to the fact that one or more intake resonators are bypassed or removed. At least, that`s the way it is with Maximas. A cone filter popcharger like I have bypasses one, and a proper full length CAI bypasses them both, which is partly why CAIs are commonly said to be louder. There are also theories about the tubing itself resonating and I guess I can see that too.

The most common arguements to why CAIs supposedly produce more power has to do with sucking in cold outside air rather than warmer engine air, and something to do with the effective length of the intake runner, which is lengthened by the CAI tubing, which favours lower-RPM torque production.... it gets horribly technical. Blah. :p

One thing I personally don`t like about the washable filter thing is how long it takes to clean it out (to my satisfaction), rinse it out well, and then have to wait for it to dry out (can`t force-dry it). Re-oiling can be finnicky, but isn`t that bad. Compare that to popping out a paper filter, dumping it, and dropping in a fresh one.

Post Thanks / Like
    As SLD said, I also have a drop-in for the ease of maintenance. This is the 3rd car I have owned with a K&N filter in it (Caprice, `94 Maxima, `02 Maxima) and while the power gains are negligible, the $$ saved in filter replacements can be used for detailing supplies or mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno... How often do you have to change your air filter? A K&N will run you anywhere from $40 bucks on up for a cone one. I don`t know about the flat ones. Those probably aren`t cheap either. How much to OEM filters cost? $8? Maybe up to $12? Seems like a long time to wait for it to be cost effective. I bought one for my Mustang and I didn`t notice any gains. I did feel better having it in there for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information