Post Thanks / Like
    Curious about what you guys are doing for snow removal. After years of careful snow brush use, always trying to float above the surface, I`ve updated technologies. Now using a leaf blower. Works on all but ice and boy does it work fast. The leaf blower works well on light snow on the driveway too. Yeah, I look like a weirdo but my driveway and cars are cleared in 10 minutes!

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the leaf blower. My dad told me about that trick.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    I park inside. Gee, isn`t *that* a helpful thing to post?

I use a SnoBrum on loaner cars, trying to leave that thin layer of snow that`s directly against the paint.

For windows, I got some snowbrushes that have boar`s hair bristles. Kinda soft for the application, but less chance of horrific damage if they somehow touch the paint (we try not to let `em touch paint, but you know...).

Post Thanks / Like
    Makita makes a little 18 volt blower with 3 speeds and on the highest setting, it can do a pretty good job. I park my dd under a cedar tree so the Makita cleans the debris off the windshield in a heartbeat. Ditto with light, dry snow.

It`s just way more convenient than the big 200 mph Toro. No cords to fuss with for the Makita and you can take the Makita with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides parking inside your garage, the next best thing is to take it to the Self Serve wash and blow it off. Just gotta make sure that it`s not too cold or your doors are gonna freeze shut.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    For windows, I got some snowbrushes that have boar`s hair bristles. Kinda soft for the application, but less chance of horrific damage if they somehow touch the paint (we try not to let `em touch paint, but you know...).

I have one of those also, but I cut the bristles to about half the original length to aid stiffness and tougher snow removal. Works great, never a scratch or mar.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad B.
    I have one of those [boar`s hair snow brushes] also, but I cut the bristles to about half the original length to aid stiffness and tougher snow removal. Works great, never a scratch or mar.

Heh heh, while I do believe that made it *MUCH* more effective, I`d be too leery of making it more likely to mar. Might not be as, uhm...Accumulator (or Accumulatorette ) -proof as it is with them at the original length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any more, I use a Shop-Vac "detachable motor" leaf blower (motor comes off of the vac and becomes leaf blower).

Tip: if you are using a gas leaf blower, remember to watch where the muffler exits relative to paint surfaces! Don`t let the heat hit your paint in any one spot for too long!

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a leaf blower may be fine on light fluffy snow... but it won`t touch the heavy wet stuff.

I use the snowbrum and leave a trace amount on the paintwork and allow that to melt on its own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC
    Makita makes a little 18 volt blower with 3 speeds and on the highest setting, it can do a pretty good job. I park my dd under a cedar tree so the Makita cleans the debris off the windshield in a heartbeat. Ditto with light, dry snow.

It`s just way more convenient than the big 200 mph Toro. No cords to fuss with for the Makita and you can take the Makita with you.

This tool costs about $100 US on the internet shipped. 2 ?`s.

1. can it move leaves off a small lawn?

2. can it blow dry a wet car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsc
    This tool costs about $100 US on the internet shipped. 2 ?`s.

1. can it move leaves off a small lawn?

2. can it blow dry a wet car?
    Hard to figure out what qualifies as a small lawn but the 18 volt power supply provides more than enough power and time to blow the chain saw debis/chips from my driveway when I buck up a bunch of logs into rounds and towards the end, I have to cut the volume back to the minimum strength to keep the chips contained in a small area. It`s been a great blower so far - 2 years.

3. Blow dry a wet car - nope. Without question, not enough power. It will do a good job on creases, crevices, wheels, and tires though. The 215 mph electric two stage Toro dries the cars/suvs like a dream though. It`s the old adage - right tool for the right job and the electric Toro is the right job for the whole car. The Makita isn`t.

Get one though, the versatility will amaze you.

-dries car parts like we`ve mentioned above,

-restarts fires,

-blow dries hair the manly way. Compact enough to keep on the bathroom counter and you`ll look really good drying the locks after the morning shower. Heck, it could even fit in the sports bag for the `after workout` shower. In the winter time, after the hockey game and before the bar, us players shower down after the game and prepare ourselves for the ladies at the bar and the local moose with the Makita.

Like I said, `very versatile` and I`m still discovering jobs I can use it for.

Thread Information