Thread: Pontiac G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my eye on one and the dealership still has a few left. Does anyone on autopia have one or have any feedback on them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought one for my wife.

Did you have any specific questions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nosbusa1700
    I bought one for my wife.

Did you have any specific questions?

How does she like driving it daily?

Has she had any issues with the car that needed dealer attention?

Would she buy the car again or recommend it to a friend?

How do you like working on the paint? Paint quality?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmatt
    How does she like driving it daily?

Has she had any issues with the car that needed dealer attention?

Would she buy the car again or recommend it to a friend?

How do you like working on the paint? Paint quality?

Yeah, it`s a very comfortable car. Fwiw. Gas mileage isn`t the greatest if that`s what you`re looking for. 15.7-17.5 in the city, 22-24 on the HWY is what we have experienced.

No issues so far. The gas cap comes loose, so it will throw off a code every now and then. No big deal.

The paint is soft, but I haven`t had any issues. I bought Black Metallic. Hard to keep clean. I don`t think I would buy black again, but I guess any dark color would be hard to take care of. White is a great color, but you really can`t make it shine like a dark color. Pros and cons to everything I guess. lol

I would recommend looking at a clear bra for the front bumper if you do a lot of HWY driving. It`s like all sports cars, it will get nicks and stuff just because it`s low to the ground. Our Trans Am`s and Corvette`s have experienced this as well.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously considered one. I really wanted the wagon, or the ute, but GM`s killing of them both off really turned me off from GMs in general. The best way to explain that car is like this. Just like the GTO, Holden built a GREAT car. And then Pontiac got its hands on it, and anything they touched they screwed up.

The car has a fantastic powertrain and platform thanks to Holden, and the interior is spacious as well. The car is just fun to drive as well. But, the car was supposed to be a $30k+ car, but has no option for navigation(and no ability to replace the radio), no memory seats option, no parking sensors option, no HIDs option, etc. They marketed it as a muscle car and as a budget BMW, and its half of both. The sad part? In Australia, you can get all those options and more. Supposedly this is all because the nice features were supposed to go to a long wheel base version (sold in Australia as the Statesman) that was going to be a Buick, but was canceled.

Great driving car, but the rest of the car was horribly handled. If they had just sent the car over unchanged from Holden, including all the options they get, it`d have been a big hit, as opposed to a dismal failure.

Other things to watch. The resale value on them is pathetic. Getting parts for them is pretty much impossible. Guys have been without their cars for a month from minor fender benders or warranty work. You might get lucky and never have an issue, but you might also be unlucky and have constant problems that take forever to fix.

I`m still pulling for it to come back from a different brand. Hopefully with the wagon too. That`d be about the only way I`d consider another GM.

Post Thanks / Like
    seems like the low discount prices that they are going for currently would have been good MSRP prices for them. Don`t know if that has to do with the exchange rate since they are imported. I had heard that the GTO was supposed to go for about $5,000 or so less but the exchange rate killed that.

It is a shame it didn`t get the V6 powertrain that the Camaro got (29 MPG highway and 300HP). The V6 G8 gets like 1 mpg better hwy than the V8, not really worth the difference. And the Camaro starts way cheaper, but the G8 looks so much better. If the G8 started at 23,000 for basic and then went up to mid 30`s for V8 with all the bells and whistles it would have been great.

In my opinion it is one of the best looking sedans out there. I had hoped at one time they`d follow the BMW type lineup and do 2 or 3 different sized models with similar styling.

Near 30,000 MSRP for a V6 with cheap looking cloth seats (cloth can be done really nicely) is a bit crazy. Curious what long term resale will be since a lot of non-car people don`t even know what a G8 is now when Pontiac goes away at the end of the year it will only get worse. Although I`d imagine that the V8s could be in demand as it may be the last of the big engine sedans.

On the funny side one dealer I emailed about a price on a left over 2008 said "better hurry, these are going fast". I didn`t bother to point out to them that it had been sitting on their lot for nearly a year now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t own one but have spent a LOT of time in one. Really nice looking vehicles. Probably *the* best looking Pontiac currently available (since the demise of the Trans Am). The powertrain speaks for itself with the LSx motors and Holden chasis.

For me, the interior left a good bit to be desired. It "looked" better than previous interiors, but it is basic and materials could still be much improved. I`m a tall person (6`4" 215 lbs.), and being in the car for more than 1 hour started pushing the limits of my comfort.

Overall, cool car and good value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys thank you all for the reply`s. Keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    never been in one but i like em
    08 viper - 675hp - "king of the ring"

07 F430

09 challenger srt8 supercharged

2010 camaro SS :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    The resale value of them sucks. About a year ago, it was possible to buy a G8GT for under 20k. Most of them sold in the 20-23 range for a loaded GT. The majority of new sales took place with rebates putting a new GT at around 24-26k depending on trim, and later new cars the rebates took them down to roughly 28k for a loaded GT. the 23-26 ones came with 0%, as well as many of the later ones.

The used market for them has been pretty much stalled for months. Also, many of them were sold to rental fleets, or GM demo cars. Many were taken in on trade in with values that a used car buyer would never pay, let alone allowing the dealers to make any money on them.

What are you looking for out of the car? If you`re just looking for it as a fun to drive big sedan, I`d look into the Charger R/T and 300C. They`re nearly as quick, but not as nimble. However, you can get the toys one would expect on a nice full size car, and have fold down rear seats (the G8 only has a pass-through, which is "large" but not nearly big enough to pass through something like say a dog). The new Taurus has way more features, and is similar in size, and is available with AWD (and twin turbos! biturbo V6 + AWD = win! just ask the Audi RS6 guys! The Taurus SHO is slower than the G8GT though)

If you`re looking at it as a fullsize muscle car, then it`s a winner and those toys probably won`t mean a whole lot to you anyways. If you`re looking at it as a budget BMW, don`t kid yourself, it`s not a BMW at all. It`s a great car, just be sure what you`re getting into with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XRL
    I seriously considered one. I really wanted the wagon, or the ute, but GM`s killing of them both off really turned me off from GMs in general. The best way to explain that car is like this. Just like the GTO, Holden built a GREAT car. And then Pontiac got its hands on it, and anything they touched they screwed up.

The car has a fantastic powertrain and platform thanks to Holden, and the interior is spacious as well. The car is just fun to drive as well. But, the car was supposed to be a $30k+ car, but has no option for navigation(and no ability to replace the radio), no memory seats option, no parking sensors option, no HIDs option, etc. They marketed it as a muscle car and as a budget BMW, and its half of both. The sad part? In Australia, you can get all those options and more. Supposedly this is all because the nice features were supposed to go to a long wheel base version (sold in Australia as the Statesman) that was going to be a Buick, but was canceled.

Great driving car, but the rest of the car was horribly handled. If they had just sent the car over unchanged from Holden, including all the options they get, it`d have been a big hit, as opposed to a dismal failure.

Other things to watch. The resale value on them is pathetic. Getting parts for them is pretty much impossible. Guys have been without their cars for a month from minor fender benders or warranty work. You might get lucky and never have an issue, but you might also be unlucky and have constant problems that take forever to fix.

I`m still pulling for it to come back from a different brand. Hopefully with the wagon too. That`d be about the only way I`d consider another GM.
    I agree with most everything you said. But I question youre pat-on-the-back to Holden regarding the powertrain. I think youre mistaken in thinking its a Holden powertrain... The engine and trans used are buiilt and supplied on this side of world.

The G8 might have done well if it had the specs the Holden did... Most people have no interest in performance bits. Techno-dodads sell cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can only get a 6 speed in the GXP trim, too expensive. Automatics/sportronic/tiptronic can blow me!
    Formerly carn00bie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XRL

Parts hard to get? We got a hood, fender and trunk lid in less than a week from the dealer.
    - George

Post Thanks / Like
    For the most part, I really like mine. Obviously, the motor is the crowning jewel for the GT/GXP. It runs really good for a two ton sedan, especially after CAI/catback/tune. The tune is highly recommended as it really helps sort out the sloppy stock transmission tuning. With the 6 speed auto, first gear is really aggressive and is a lot of fun, if you catch my "drift."

I love that it has enough room for me and three of my friends to travel long distances. The interior to me seems fine for a car I paid $27k for brand new. There are areas they could have improved on, but for the most part I really like the layout and design. The gauges look really cool at night, for what that`s worth.

My main complaints are the ride. It rides a little rough for a car of this size. I assume a lot of it has to do with the 19" wheels. The stock Bridgestones on my car are worthless in slick conditions, as they are a "summer only" tire. There is a persistent "clunk" from the suspension in the front end that the dealership cannot seem to locate. From what I`ve read, it seems to be a ball joint going bad. Pretty sad at only 10K miles.

As was stated earlier, the lack of memory seats/nav/HIDs is kind of lame. I know they were trying to keep the car in a certain price point, but at least make those things options. I personally am swaying away from the performance and leaning more towards luxury, so my next car will probably be German.

Thread Information