Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test Drives

Post Thanks / Like
    Took 2 cars out for a test drive yesterday in Halifax, convinced the wife its time to look. First was a 2010 Audi A4. i was pleased and disappointed. Nice luxury features, but the suspension seemed to be quite soft to me compared to the A3. But boy did the all - whel drive corner great. Second one kind of blew me away, as I had never had the opportunity to drive one before. Took out a 6 speed manual, BMW 328ix. What a nice car. Sort of feels like the A3 in firmness, but what a smooth engine. The A3 2 liter turbo is a hoot to drive but its a bit harsh, especially compared to the BMW 6 cylinder. Could be I found my next car. Like the Infiniti G35, but not the salesman, caused me to walk out of the showroom so I bought the Audi instead, and was pleased I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    The BMWs are nice but the prices are not! From what I`ve read the quattro is superior in every way over the BMW system. The 2.0T is a blast too, plenty of mods to make is pretty quick but for now the limit is the high pressure fuel pump and its inability to really support over 350hp. The thing I like about BMW is they don`t keep making the cars bigger and bigger every year. I wasn`t keen on the 6" strech on the new A4.

Post Thanks / Like
    BAKER- Does Audi offer a sport suspension package for the A4? FWIW, I`m no big fan of that 2 liter Audi motor either, even if it *is* OK for what it is.

Yeah...*IF* the dealer is OK I can understand your preferring the BMW.

I`d sure ascertain that the dealer *is* OK though, our local BMW dealerships are, uhm...utterly unacceptable to me (to put it politely) and I have to patronize an Audi dealer who`s nearly two hours away because the local ones are even worse than the BMW places!

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s the age old question of do you want to spend the extra money to get what you really want. Personally I don`t like the grills on the newer Audis, or the fact that so much weight is in the front compared to the BMWs. To each their own however; you can`t go too wrong with any of these three choices (you can always go to a different Infiniti dealer you know).
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    BAKER- Does Audi offer a sport suspension package for the A4? FWIW, I`m no big fan of that 2 liter Audi motor either, even if it *is* OK for what it is.

Here we go again! I like the 2.0, granted I`d love to have the 2.7 biturbo, but the NA motors are jut boring, give me a turbo any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itb76
    .. Personally I don`t like the grills on the newer Audis...

Heh heh, yeah..I`m *still* not used to that huge grille! For that matter, I still want them to put the headlight switch back on a steering-column stalk! But then I haven`t really liked the looks of Bimmers for a while now either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakky
    Here we go again! I like the 2.0, granted I`d love to have the 2.7 biturbo, but the NA motors are jut boring, give me a turbo any day.

Heh heh, yeah...some of us are naturally-aspirated guys, some of us like turbos, and seldom the twain shall agree Eh...my old turbo-quattros *were* OK for what they were at the time in question though.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like they do have a sport package that gives a different suspension. ITB76, here in Nova Scotia there is only 1 Infiniti dealer, as well as 1 Audi and ! bmw dealer. Sucks to be in the sticks eh. Also makes it impossible to put 1 dealer against the other for your business. And boy do the dealers know this. It really reflects in there refusal to deal. They know if you want their car you buy from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are committed to looking/buying a car make an appointment with the sales manager and also explain your problem with the salesman.

Research prices at other dealerships and use it to your benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by salty
    If you are committed to looking/buying a car make an appointment with the sales manager and also explain your problem with the salesman..

Good advice. Let them know up-front that you are the way you are.

I`ve often spoken directly to dealership *owners* too, might be feasible here. They can *really* make things happen for you if you get on their good side, voice of experience

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BAKER
    It seems like they do have a sport package that gives a different suspension. ITB76, here in Nova Scotia there is only 1 Infiniti dealer, as well as 1 Audi and ! bmw dealer. Sucks to be in the sticks eh. Also makes it impossible to put 1 dealer against the other for your business. And boy do the dealers know this. It really reflects in there refusal to deal. They know if you want their car you buy from them.

Why can`t you bounce one brand vs the other off them? You can certainly tell them if they don`t cut you a deal on the BMW, you are going over to Audi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    The BMWs are nice but the prices are not! From what I`ve read the quattro is superior in every way over the BMW system. The 2.0T is a blast too, plenty of mods to make is pretty quick but for now the limit is the high pressure fuel pump and its inability to really support over 350hp. The thing I like about BMW is they don`t keep making the cars bigger and bigger every year. I wasn`t keen on the 6" strech on the new A4.
    It`s all the same these days. Call it whatever you want - Quattro, 4Matic, xDrive - but it does the same thing.

I drove an A3 before buying my last daily driver (which ended up being a loaded Accord EX-L) and it was nice. Just not sure if it`s worth the premium over a GTI.

Happy with my `09 328 xDrive now though. It`s my daily driver and sees the most miles (I do a lot of driving) - we also have a `09 750i, `09 F350, and couple of other toys. But the 328 engine is smooth and provides plenty of power, 6MT transmission is great, and it handles like it`s on rails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jopa489
    It`s all the same these days. Call it whatever you want - Quattro, 4Matic, xDrive - but it does the same thing..

Huh....I haven`t compared any AWD systems recently, but a while back they were *VERY* different.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the manufacturers are just buying AWD systems off of Haldex. The same haldex AWD system is Quattro in the A3, 4Motion in most VWs, was used in a few other companies` cars too. The "new" Saab XWD setup is the new version of Haldex, which is also being used in Buicks, and Caddys, and functionally is pretty similar to Honda`s SH-AWD, and some of the BMW XDrive vehicles.

IMO, the current king of AWD is BMW`s Xdrive on the X5 M. Torque vectoring on every wheel can`t be beat.

So if the dealer by you sucks, why not talk to other dealers that are farther away? At least then you`ve got some pressure to exert on the closer dealership.

Have you looked at the EX35 at all? That`s a fun to drive little hatchback. Too bad on the lack of LSD package though(at least down here)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XRL
    The same haldex AWD system is Quattro in the A3, 4Motion in most VWs, was used in a few other companies` cars too.

That seems to make quite a few people upset as it is not the same as the Quattro system in the rest of the Audi line. I also would have like to see it renamed something else, but oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baker there is a new bmw dealership just outside Moncton, if u wanna pit one dealer against the other...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information