Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys my family is looking to purchase a Toyota Camry V6 SE, Honda Accord V6 EX-L, or Nissan Altima 3.5 SE/SL. I drove the altima today and enjoyed the ride, but the build quality seemed much lower than the Honda and Toyota, what do you guys think about it?

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have read the Altima build quality has taken an enormous positive leap as compared to the pre 2007 models. That said, it still isn`t quite in the same league as the "big two." Toyota`s build quality has been dropping sharply while Honda is still excellent. I`m basing this on a LOT of reading not first hand information.

As far as get up and go the Camry seems to be at the top of the heap. The Honda and Toy are happy on 87 octane but the Altima is designed for premium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accord!

Its a simple choice. EX-L V6....I would know...

Post Thanks / Like
    i would take the honda over the other 2 any day. hondas build quality is moving closer and closer to acura quality. the lines of luxury IMO are being blurred a little bit as time goes on.
    2002.5 mazda Protege5:heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    The Honda V-6 does have a timing belt to contend with @ 100K, the other two have timing chains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    The Honda V-6 does have a timing belt to contend with @ 100K, the other two have timing chains.

And if you think chains don`t need service you`d better ask a VW owner.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    Mine failed without warning at 164K, not a pleasant experience. Read all about it if you like.
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    honda = :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by itb76
    Mine failed without warning at 164K, not a pleasant experience. Read all about it if you like.

The belts that have come off of my Honda cars at 90/105k have easily been maybe 2/3`s through their life. Safe to say that they *may* have made it the same distance but I`m not trying to find out. From the looks of what went down with your chain it`s probably safe to say that they need attention around 100k. I know you`re not alone as I know someone with a new Beetle that had the same problem and while researching it found quite a few others as well. Belts/chains are downright cheap in comparison to what happens if they break. Nothing is made like it used to be.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d also have a look at Chev Malibu, Hyundai Sonata, and Ford Fusion. Just a quick three test drives just to confirm what your gut is already telling you.

For what its worth, Car and Driver rated the 4 cylinder versions (1) Honda Accord (2) Nissan Altima (3) Chev Malibu (4) Hyundai Sonata (5) Toyota Camry (6) Ford Fusion (7) Dodge Avenger
    Calvin

`05 Mustang GT

`09 Xterra

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll stick with my Gulfstream V and a long runway.

Post Thanks / Like
    i like the exterior styling of the malibu, but the interior quality didnt cut it for me. hyundai has stepped it up alot recently as well, but quality wise i think honda and toyota are on top...

the ford fusion just annoys me... i sat in one at the auto show, and i honestly thought it was oging to fall apart from me sitting in it.
    2002.5 mazda Protege5:heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I are on our 7th honda brand car (acura and honda) and the quality is top notch on all of them. Test drive the Honda Accord (you may want to look at the 2008 Acura TL) and I think you`ll be very, very happy with the reliability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan

Did not mean to insinuate they never required service but it`s far less than belts. The VW is not on the list for the thread starter....a very wise move. In 40+ years of driving I have yet to deal with one single problem on cars that used a timing chain which involved the chain itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a 2005 3.5L Altima owner, I`d have to say I love the Altima (V6 especially!), but the ride is much harsher than the Honda and Toyota. Since you mentioned a family, I assume it`s not just going to be you who drives it, and with that in mind I must say go for the Accord (my friend has an 07 coupe and loves it, and I assume the latest model is at least as good).

However! If you`re going to be the primary driver, get the Altima. I personally love it, and difference in build quality < fun to drive. And it`s still quite comfortable for long drives, I have to drive ~100 miles in it Mon-Fri (school and all T_T), just the ride is probably too harsh for kids (although my 7 year old brother loves it, go figure)

I also want to add that the Altima is pretty reliable. I`ve put over 55k on mine (I know, not so much compared to others here) and haven`t had to do anything besides oil changes every 3k miles (except one of my belts had some *minor* rot at around 40k, but as some others have said here apparently they now have chains)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information