Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    The Sky is, in my estimation, is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Add the 260 hp and tq. engine to the mix, and it is a semi-affordable muscle car. Did I mention how nice the car looks?

Unfortunately, GM has managed to bungle the Sky just enough to assure that I`ll never buy one. The vehicle lacks the steering feedback of the Miata. I currently drive a Miata, and the guys on Top Gear are correct when they state it has some of the best steering feel on the planet. That is a fairly important component in any roadster, but I am willing to let it go for 260 hp. Then revelations of the silly convertible top came out. In order to put the top down, one must open the trunk, unlatch the roof, get out of the car and fold the top into the trunk. It`s a chore for sure, especially when compared to the ease with which my Miata top comes off. None the less, the Sky looks amazing, and I was willing to sacrafice practicality to have a speed demon/jaw dropper.

GM managed to put the final nail in the coffin with the Sky by giving it an almost unusable trunk. Part of the beauty of my `99 Miata is that I can put the lady friend next to me, fill the trunk with camping equipment, and head up the Pacific Coast Highway topless for a weekend together. In such situations the trunk gets completely filled and can barely be closed, but I can fit everything I need in there. Not so with the Sky. The engineers have actually managed to put part of the gas tank back there, as to make the trunk unusable. Nice work GM, you`ve managed to make a roadster that no one can own as an only vehicle.

I really hope GM figures this roadster thing out. They figured out the first 2/3rds of making a great roadster, and then managed to screw up all the important little things.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOPLESS- The Miata or the lady friend.....or both????????

Post Thanks / Like
    I have liked the looks of the Sky since the concepts were put out a couple of years ago....

But, I don`t fit in it right..... (my knees are touching with the seat all the way back.)

And it needs a turbo......

Alas, it`s doomed to be a great chick car.......(no offense to great chicks....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1
    And it needs a turbo......

The redline has a turbo!

this car has the most hp/cu in that GM has ever made

and that is all the car is about!

no, it`s not for everyone

and every complaint you have about it the same can be said about a 427 Cobra

and a lot of people would love to have one of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried one out, but bought the S2000 . Seemed like much more car to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the review! I loooooove how the Sky looks, and it looks great on paper too--but those problem spots definitely make the Sky go from being the ultimate roadster to almost unusable.

Also, I`ve heard that Saturn dealers have been managing to mark this up $5K over base price!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman8r44
    Also, I`ve heard that Saturn dealers have been managing to mark this up $5K over base price!

how saturn have always had set prices?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a roadster! At least you get roll up windows and a trunk that actually opens!

I agree, though, not the best car to have as a daily driver, but probably really fun if you can afford it as a second car.

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s a Sky ? Anybody got any pictures for this helpless Brit ? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you may some good points here. It`s a shame when someone pulls into work in their new sportscar, everyone drools, and then a couple months later it goes from being a daily driver to a garage queen--and then often sold a little later. The difference can just be a few practical things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriminal
    What`s a Sky ? Anybody got any pictures for this helpless Brit ? :nixweiss
    here`s some pic/info:

Saturn | SKY: Red Line

Post Thanks / Like
    Picture it with a high performance V8 in the engine bay...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I agree. GM had a nice opportunity here.

It`s a good car, but quite there. Unfortunate, really... it totally had the potential to be a true Miata contender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    how saturn have always had set prices?

They still kinda do...but I`ve heard stories of dealers tacking on enormous fees to get past that policy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought almost all of the Saturn dealerships were normal, haggle dealerships now.

Saturn claims a 2 cubic foot trunk when the top is down, and 5.4 cu. ft. with it up. Here is a picture of it. Notice the gas tank in the middle of the trunk. This is with the top up mind you.

2007 Saturn Sky trunk

Hopefully GM figures it all out at some point. Firstly they need to change the shape of the gas tank, and move it to the area between the cabin and the trunk. Next they need to figure out a way to maximize interior space The Sky is 5 inches longer, an inch taller and 4 inches wider, yet has a smaller cabin and trunk. Finally, they need to figure out how to make the vehicle more reliable, but they do deserve a break in this department since this is their first roadster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information