Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Haven`t been here in a while because my new ride is at the dealer. Mazda 3S 2.3L engine,5000 miles,6 months old. Running perfectly and then after cresting a large hill on the highway I suddenly develop and loud clattering noise from the engine compartment that sort of sounds like a metallic version of a baseball card clothspinned on bicycle spokes that some of us did as kids to mimic engine noise. The noise is totally throttle/RPM dependent and even happens when backing off of the throttle at certain RPM`s but there is no rhyme or reason because it happens at both low and high RPM`s. The only spot if doesn`t really happen at is at 65MPH in 5th gear. The power/torque, etc. were not affected in any way, the car still ran perfectly except for the loud noise. Took it to the dealer once, they couldn`t figure it out. They told me to bring it back the next week and they would call Mazda. They told me "They checked the timing and viewed the cam covers and there is abnormal wear and Mazda says to replace the engine under the warranty." It`s ultimately been two weeks and they are still waiting for an engine from Mazda. I have a loaner but I shudder to think what my car will look like and how it will perform when I get it back. I spoke to a Lemon Lawyer and he said there has to be three attempts or 30 straight days in the shop to try and fix it before it is considered a lemon. He also told me to call Mazda customer service and ask to be let out of the lease or given a new car. Mazda said either ption wasn`t likely but they would have a local rep contact me. Of course, after two weeks no one ever called back.

I`d love to hear everyone`s opinion on this and/or if anyone has had a situation like this, please post or PM me as to the outcome and what specifically happened.

Sorry for the long post, I am quite desperate for help at this point and don`t know where to turn or if I can turn anywhere. Thanks.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Just keep a log of everything you`ve been told and by whom. Make sure you get names. I think your car will be okay after the engine swap, but just ask that they don`t "detail" it when the work is completed.

If it does stay in the shop over 30 days, call Mazda back and ask for a new car, if they don`t budge, call the lawyer back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have your attourney write a letter, or if you don`t want to pay for that go to your states lemon law page online, and start the process rolling. First step is to write a letter and CC everyone you can at madza including your dealership, customer service, etc,etc. Once the time is up, then they HAVE to step up or face a lawsuit, which they don`t want to do. Be persistant and KEEP CALLING, but you definately have to write the letter to formallize the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    The quality of work is completly dependent on the dealer and not Mazda, also. So if there is a problem after its done, call Mazda North America first, then have them contact the dealer before you get there. Experiences with Mazda NA seems to be very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    DETAILKING is 100% correct. You have to exert all the effort. Its too bad but that is the way it goes. The person who is screaming the loudest gets the reps attention.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    not only send letters but spring for CERTIFIED letters! Well worth the couple extra bucks to be able to PROVE that they recieved the letters. Your atty should do this on his own but if you send any make sure to do it. Its very simple just pick up the little green card from the post office and follow the directions
    - Ghostrider you`re at 3/4 of a mile call the ball

Thread Information