Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Civic

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys and gals looks like it "may" be time to trade in the Mustang. It is not that there is anything wrong with her, I just can`t justify $40 a week anymore for the gas to commute back and forth to work. It doesn`t look like things are going to get better any time soon, it looks as though it is only going to get worse

Right now I am looking at the Honda Civic. The 2003-2004 LX seems to fall right into the price range I am looking at (under 15K). I am looking for advice on things to look for when I start shopping. Any issues to look out for, common problems?? I would prefer to go with the manual transmission but, according to what I have seen the automatic gets slightly better fuel economy :nixweiss

Any advice you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am really struggling with this decision as I LOVE my Mustang but, I do still have other toys.

I am not looking to start a debate here over the merits of different makes and models, just looking for advice on the Civic.

Here are a couple of links to some examples I have seen on Autotrader that caught my eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t go wrong..my mom has that year LX and runs like a top just maintain a honda and it will maintain your happiness while driving it. One thing I think people don`t give a fair chance is how they precieve the civic line, its not flashy, its simple and effective everything you need not alot of things you don`t, if your wanting allow wheels, brushed aluminum interior, bose stereo, leather seats then a civic isn`t for you, if you want a car that does everything you need reliabily day in and day out you can`t beat the line...Maybe even consider an Accord used as well for a few more comforts.

You might also consider the 2007 honda fit..its 15,720 which is a little more but its a great car as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 2001, same body style and all. They are awesome cars! I think the better gas mileage with the automatics didn`t happen until the 2006`s came out. As far as problems go, there is nothing you have to worry about. If you want to have a little fun in the car get a Progress rear sway bar assembly. It comes with a thick bar AND a lower tie bar as well. Best bang for the buck I did to my old ride.

The only bad thing about the Fit`s are they don`t get as good as gas as the Civics do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look here.....

http://honda-acura.net/
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had a 1999 Civic and had a loaner `02 Civic. They were so noisy, I only had the `99 for about four months - I couldn`t stand it any longer. The loaner had ~4k miles and was just as noisy. I also didn`t like the "hill climb" automatic in the `99; it wouldn`t shift if I wanted it to going up hill and would downshift too soon going down hill.

I guess what I`m trying to say is to get a good test drive in before you buy.

I`d also consider a slightly older Accord (even if it`s more "stripped").

Post Thanks / Like
    Danase are you sure about the MPG? My window sticker is 38mpg and I`m getting 35+ barely broke in and I`m not driving it to nice..what does the civic average?

Post Thanks / Like
    My recommendation would be to be very careful of the price of used Hondas. They barely depreciate and sometimes a brand new is only a couple thousand more. I guess it depends on how strict your budget is and what exactly your looking for. I just bought my wife an 06 Accord a couple month ago and the dealer had a 2004 (two years old) and it was two thousand dollars less the brand new one. Either way a Honda will last you forever if you change the oil in it. Good luck with the search and sorry to hear about the mustang!
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    are you selling the mustang?

how much will it cost you to get into a civic?

you may save 20$ a week and spend $5000 to get a civic
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by atticdog
    are you selling the mustang?

how much will it cost you to get into a civic?

you may save 20$ a week and spend $5000 to get a civic

I know I had thought of that. I believe I will save more than the $20 a week as my insurance will be cheaper. I am also counting on things like less frequent tire changes as my BFG KDWs only last a year before they need to be replaced. I think we are headed down a long road of high gas prices and I mean years. The Mustang also has nearly 80K miles on it. If I go through with is, I would rather trade it now while it is still in great shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    So at 300 miles a week and avg 20mpg for mustang and 35 for honda...you will save 20 bucks a week in gas...Now you are likely gonna be paying $300 a month in a new car payment. So for save that extra $20 a week is gonna cost you an extra $200 a month...If you are going through tires every year then there is a reason you are spending lots of dollars on gas...Lift that foot up a little and you could save you some dollars in the tank and on the pavement...

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

I think thats a pretty wise decision to trade the stang in for something a little more conservative. I never really was a fan of the Civc, but they really grew on me. From all the Civic owners I know they`ve had really no problems. I think as long as you get a good condition used one, you`ll be fine. You seem to be very careful and attentive to car maintence, as I`m sure most of us are. As long as you treat it good, I can`t see you having too many problems.

I would opt for the 5 speed for two reasons. The first is Honda clutchs are extremely easy to use, and makes the drive a tad more exciting, then an Auto, even though your still in a 4 cylinder car .

The second, and probably more important reason is...

Quote Originally Posted by MSN Autos (2003 Honda Civic)
    An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the second gear clutch in the Automatic Transmission. This will cause the Automatic Transmission to slip or the check engine light to illuminate. Also when the Automatic Transmission is rebuilt or replaced, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software will need to be updated. The costo replace the Automatic Transmission is estimated at $1800.00 for a remanufactured Automatic Transmission and $318.50 for labor. The cost to update the PCM is estimated at $65.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by runnerbl
    So at 300 miles a week and avg 20mpg for mustang and 35 for honda...you will save 20 bucks a week in gas...Now you are likely gonna be paying $300 a month in a new car payment. So for save that extra $20 a week is gonna cost you an extra $200 a month...If you are going through tires every year then there is a reason you are spending lots of dollars on gas...Lift that foot up a little and you could save you some dollars in the tank and on the pavement...

Actually there will not be a car payment. I will be paying that extra 5000 or so in cash. I have not financed our last 2 cars and no I am not a drug dealer or anything like that

I am not a leadfoot either, at least on my commute My Mustang is a GT with a thirsty V8 and 20mpg is rather good for my combination highway/city commute. The GT is rated at 18city/25highway and my commute is roughly half highway and half city. I spend as much of of the commute as possible on cruise control. I keep the car in top condition mechanically, maintain my tire pressures and drive the car on my commute for optimal fuel economy. The 20mpg average I get is all the car is capable of, the highest I have achieved is 21mpg.

I know you are trying to help and I appreciate it but, I have already looked at all the angles and am comfortable with this decision if I do go through with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Civic does the job it was built for very well. I think you will be very pleased with it as long as you keep an objective view of the car. Obviously the ride, power, confort, handleing, etc are all far less than the Mustang. But, it is an economy car.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can get a new civic LX for 17,500

test drove one today nice car!
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by atticdog
    you can get a new civic LX for 17,500

test drove one today nice car!

Thats what I mean...why pay 15K for a used car when you can pay 17,500 for a brand new car with a full warranty on it. Is it really worth that extra $2500? Maybe it is if you paying cash, but I would much rather have a new car knowing that I can put 200K miles on it without a problem. Just my $.02....again!
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information