it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I`d like to know where everyone keeps their car registration and insurance card? Reason I ask is ever since my brother, sister and I have started driving we`ve started to keep the current registration and insurance card in the glove box, locked. It`s way too unconvenient to keep it in our wallets, and I think the probability is higher for us to lose our wallet then our car get stolen. Most of my family and friends do the same, store it in the glove box.

So anyway a couple days ago my father was telling me one of his co-workers had his car stolen the previous night. He said when he finally got a cop to the scene, the cop first asked if he had his registration. The guy did, and the cop responded that if he didn`t even have the registration he wouldn`t be able to do anything, because thats his only proof of ownership. Was this cop just being a scumbag? Or is there any truth to this? I know one of my friend`s had his car stolen, and I don`t think the cop gave him a hard time, although his wallet was in the car when it got stolen. I`m wondering *if* (hopefully not) one of my cars got stolen if I`d be totally screwed because the registration and insurance card was in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem in the old days was that the thief could take the registration from the glove compartment and go to DMV and get new plates, and then the cops would be looking for a stolen car with your plates...while your car was driving around with new ones. Today I would imagine the VIN would be on the hot sheet immediately.

Anyway, the cop was being a jerk. I`m pretty sure that if your father`s co-worker had his DL on him, the police can get a list of all vehicles registered to him. I mean, what if you forgot the registration at home and got pulled over, the cop wouldn`t be able to find out if you owned the car? I call bull.

FWIW, I keep mine in the glove compartment....but the reason I know about getting new plates (above)...is it happened to my father (25 years ago)...not sure there weren`t extenuating circumstances with that tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s another vote for the glovebox, and the fact that the cop was a douchebag.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the cop was just being an ***. I keep the registration in the glovebox, but keep my ins card in my wallet. Also keep another copy of the insurance card on the refrigerator. Don`t know why I keep it there, but it`s been there for a year and I don`t plan on moving it anytime soon.

Thread Information