Thread: Carbon Monoxide

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy,

Just curious on a few things regarding the killer.

1) How can one find out if CO is leaking into the cabin of the car?

2) How long would it take for someone to get knocked out if CO is leaking into the cabin?

3) Should I trash the car or try to fix it if it is a CO problem?

The story:

The past couple of days I`ve been feeling absolutely exhuasted (no pun) after driving for less than an hour. It has been cold up here in MA in the mornings, so I drive with the windows sealed. My passenger and myself noticed that for the past few days we`re having a really hard time keeping our eyes open in the car from what looks like drowsiness. However, once we step outside into the morning air, we wake right up. We`re getting plenty of sleep and we`re not sick or anything, which leads me to believe that my old (111K Miles) Chevy Cavalier is up to something.

I`m getting a 2000 VW New Beetle hopefully in a week or two. Will I be able to hold out or should I get the car looked at ASAP?

Thanks for the help.

- Frapp
    2000 Volkswagen New Beetle; 2.0L GL Batik Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Exhaust leaks forward of the muffler are usually easily heard, while after the muffler may not be. Not only do you need to have an exhaust leak, you need a way for the leaking gases to get into the passenger compartment. The new Beetle won`t be much fun if you`re dead from falling asleep while driving before you get it. It`s not THAT cold out, drive with the windows open, blast the ventilation fan to bring in outside air, or get it fixed. You don`t say what year the Cav is...newer cars even at that mileage rarely have bad emissions problems (unless the car is in disrepair). The CO detectors they sell for houses I think are battery operated so you should be able to bring one in your car. Try Lowes/Home Despot.

Thread Information