Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy everyone :wavey I`ve been with the forums for a while, but only recently came back. I formatted my computer and lost the link and forgot the address and everything.. it was bad. I have horrible memory sometimes. Anyways, I got a question for all of ya.

My 1997 (108K miles) Chevy Cavalier is seemingly on it`s last leg, or is going to be soon. Something new is wrong with it every couple of weeks lately. I`m looking at getting another car before the Cav dies.

I`ve been thinking about getting a hatchback or a wagon model car, because I`ll probably be needing the cargo space. I would be transporting a mid-sized guitar amplifier, bass guitar, maybe a pair mid sized speakers and a small sound mixer. If not, then at least I have the style of a hatchback

My question to you is, what hatchback-style car should I get in terms of cargo space? Preferably a used model, as I couldn`t afford a new car right now. I`m also trying to avoid SUVs as much as humanly possible. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
    2000 Volkswagen New Beetle; 2.0L GL Batik Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a Mazda 3 5 door? Or a Scion. I`m not a big fan of the later, but the style is growing on me. I think the Mazda 3 is probably the best driver in the small hatch/wagon utility class.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mazda 3 is defintaly a very nice vehicle. Depending on your budget, you could maybe find a used magnum in your area, they have plenty of room, but horrible blind spots. A friend of mine has a Scion xB, the boxy one, and fits his guitar equipment in there with no problem. They`re really inexpensive also...something around 14-15k brand new, and get AMAZING gas mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Subaru WRX wagon would be worth a look. Personally, I like the style of the ones from a few years ago better than the new ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    The WRX wagon won`t offer much cargo space though. We got rid of ours when the younger dog started growing, didn`t have nearly the room we needed. I was kinda surprised at how little space it really had (we used it to move a lot of stuff out of my dad`s house, didn`t hold much).

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know what your budget is but how about the new Honda Fit? New but inexpensive.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=529743
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Ill be different. How about a Ford Focus ZX3, or ZX5? I owned one for a DD a few years back and never had a problem with the car. It was actually fun to drive, handled well and had nice brakes but wasnt the fastest thing on the road. You can find them from $4-12k used and if you can swing it the SVT Focus can be had for about $10-14k and is a very fun little pocket rocket.

In my Zx3 I had at one time 2 drag slicks, 10 bags of garnden mulch, 4 large bushes and a few odds and ends. That little car can hold alot of stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. My budget at the moment is small, so I`m looking for the REALLY inexpensive stuff. I`ll take a look at those cars and come back if I have any more questions. Thanks again! :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    look at a newer cavalier with a ecotec. :woohoo: they are leaps and bounds better than the older cavs. I have a 04 ls sport and i love it! :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mazda Protege5s can be found used for sometimes very cheap. They are a well reviewed car, and very well liked by the people that own them. The last year of manufacture was `03 as the Mazda 3 was introduced the following year as a "replacement" for the Protege line. It`s a good looking 5 door IMO, and I actually like its styling a bit better than the 3 5-door.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the Protege5 styling over the Mazda3 5-door, but they`re both nice vehicles.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    The WRX wagon won`t offer much cargo space though. We got rid of ours when the younger dog started growing, didn`t have nearly the room we needed. I was kinda surprised at how little space it really had (we used it to move a lot of stuff out of my dad`s house, didn`t hold much).

my brothers 90lb lab fits just fine in our 03 wrx sedan, i would think the wagon is awesome for tasks like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question:

Are the VW New Beetles reliable cars? I`ve been wanting to get one for a long time now. I do understand that it won`t have anywhere near the cargo capacity of the hatchback cars I asked about earlier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to be about average in reliability according to this:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/U...ewreliability/

We have a friend with one and she is trying to get out from under it due to so many problems, it`s two years old. Might just be an isolated case?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you said no SUV but I like the Foresters. They are not like a huge SUV and are sort of just a tad step up from a hatch. I do agree with Accumulator though...we have a 05 Impreza sedan and a 06 Impreza wagon and the wagon is really only better because the seats fold down. Not a whole lot of room. Might even want to look into a Magnum for a wagon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information