Post Thanks / Like
    Hello.

Recently we`ve succumb to some brutually hot temperatures and I hadnt washed the car for about a week. Now I`m stuck with this problem.

In between each and every spoke at the bottom on the lip/barrel I have caked on/baked in brake dust. I`ve tried a variety of wheel cleaners like sonax full effect and auto glym custom wheel cleaner but it won`t come out.

I don`t have pictures but if need be they are stock rims on a CLK63 AMG Black Series.

I will, when I get a chance to, post pictures if need be. But I was hoping there would be a solutioun because from what I see, no over the counter products will work.

can anyone guide me with what I should do and if anyone has some product they could sell me that would be great.

I`m also located in Mississauga near Square One. I`m sure some individuals have seen me since I`m one of the only few with a black series here in canada.. next to a white florida plated one.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I`m somwhat reluctant to suggest the product due to its health risks, there`s always Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener which is their version of acid-based wheel cleaner. If the others you have tried don`t work, it could be a solution...that, plus a fair amount of time.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sonax hasn`t worked you could try CarPro IronX Soap Gel

Application:

1. Wash the paint surface with a concentrate

2. Rinse the surface thoroughly with clean water, power wash or hose

3. Pour a few small drops of CarPro IronX Soap Gel onto a wet sponge, and apply to the surface.

4. Allow to dwell (do not allow to dry)

5. While agitating the surface, the soap gel will start to change colour when it comes into contact with metallic particles

6. Rinse the surface thoroughly with clean water

7. Dry the paint surface
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

The best option for this IMO is IronX Paste. It is a thicker gel that will stay on the spots you apply it to. This will allow it to react longer and concentrate the cleaning ability.

IronX Soap Gel is more of a maintence wash car soap / iron remover. It might work but it is not as strong as the IronX Paste.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the feedback guys, however.... I live in Canada. 99% of these products are not available over the counter... it`s hard as hell to find anything decent, hence the reason why I also came to ask if anyone could possibly let me know of a store and/or sell me the product personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamouz
    I appreciate the feedback guys, however.... I live in Canada. 99% of these products are not available over the counter... it`s hard as hell to find anything decent, hence the reason why I also came to ask if anyone could possibly let me know of a store and/or sell me the product personally.

Depending on where your at you may not get any of these iron remover OTC. Here in the states I have to order them online.

A quick google search shows that you can get CarPro IronX from 2 different Canadian distributors, Auto Obessed & eShine Canada.

CarPro Auto Obsessed - premium auto detailing supplies, auto detailing products, car care products

eShine Canada: Car Pro

Like I mentioned earlier, I highly recommend the IronX Paste for your situation. The Regular IronX spray works great as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Infamouz- Welcome to Autopia!

Too bad that the wheels got that contaminated after such a short time.

Be a bit careful with the Iron-X. On another thread we were just discussing whether it`s truly safe to use on various surfaces, and I think you need to keep it off certain surfaces.

Once you do get the wheels cleaned up, I`d sure find some way to protect them so you don`t go through this again. Some kind of coating, or at least a good sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Infamouz, not sure if you found a solution to your wheel issue but I have had the problem a few times with my families cars. I use a product called Wonderwheels, its from a UK manufacturer and being from the UK myself I may be a bit biast but it is now available in Canada and is slowly filtering into various stores it seems. I live out in BC where it is on retail shelves but I found it online on a website called waxed shine. Back in the UK it won awards many years in a row for being the best wheel cleaner and it works on all sorts of wheels. I find a lot of wheel cleaners here are weak and having the same issue before wanted to pass on my 2 cents. Good luck!

Thread Information