Thread: Flex xc 3401

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finalized my mind and set out my self to buy the FLEX 3401, all of a sudden eShine is out of stock (I am starting to hate these 3 words ) and the worst is that I can`t find a Canadian store that sells this polisher ... Anyone has any idea of where to get this polisher.

I have another question too :-) .... is there a backing plate that would fit a 4 inch pad for this polisher? .. any idea ? I have seen the smallest one at autogeek.net that can use a 5 inch or 5.5 inch .. and thats it.

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fayez
    I just finalized my mind and set out my self to buy the FLEX 3401, all of a sudden eShine is out of stock (I am starting to hate these 3 words ) and the worst is that I can`t find a Canadian store that sells this polisher ... Anyone has any idea of where to get this polisher.

I have another question too :-) .... is there a backing plate that would fit a 4 inch pad for this polisher? .. any idea ? I have seen the smallest one at autogeek.net that can use a 5 inch or 5.5 inch .. and thats it.

Thanks guys

Have you tried Ken at Autowerks Exclusive? He sells Flex but does not list the 3401 but if you contact him he may have one in stock but not listed. He is Maple Ridge BC.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

The Flex 3401 takes a special backing plate and I don`t think anyone`s cut one down enough to use 4" pads. I thought about doing it but decided it`d compromise the sturctural integrity too much. If you ever check out the plate (especially the back side of it with the gear teeth for the forced rotation) you`ll see what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got lucky and contacted Chris from eShine and he told me that a two 3401 were added .. YaY :-) ... but that Autowerks Exclusive will be very helpful.

Accumulator, actually I don`t have the polisher yet but I kinda see what you mean.

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    IAccumulator, actually I don`t have the polisher yet but I kinda see what you mean.

When you get it, it`s a good idea to take off the backing plate and put a *LITTLE* oil on the felt ring that`s inset in the polisher`s metal housing (the back of the backing plate will rub against the ring if you apply extreme/excessive pressure, a *tiny* bit of lube is added insurance). While the plate is off, take a look-see and imagine cutting down the plate enough for a 4" pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Helpful Advice! ... as soon as I get it this week ( hopefully )..

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Check these guys out I have had a good experience with them and they carry what you need. [URL="http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/"]
    -Mike http://mikesautodetailing.ca/

-Nothing like a good turn around.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought there was an adapter from Edge buffing pads that allowed for 4" pads but I`m having trouble finding it now. A thorough search might find what you need.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed there was/is (not sure) an adapter for spot pads. But when I bought my 3401 I was not convinced through the reading etc that it would be structurally sound enough. *please note: this is only "my" take on this.

Regarding the 5,5 plate, I think it is not an adapter/alternate plate, but actually a newer version of the flex. This is the one I have. I do not know if you can buy the flex with the bigger plate and add separately the 5.5 one or vice versa.

So in terms of spot pads, either brave it and try using them on the bigger plate (it is scary, I did it only once and I will not try it again) or buy a rotary or get the edge adapter.

You might also want to buy a second pair of carbon brushes up front. Have a look at the manual to see what I mean.

http://flex-tools.de/gb/Produkte/Pol..._VRG/index.php

Post Thanks / Like
    The Edge adaptor for the Flex 3401 is kinda flimsy looking, I thought to myself "gee, no surprise that these things have been failing on people!" and never even tried mine. I`ll give it a go some day, but I`m sure gonna be gentle with it.

Thread Information