Post Thanks / Like
    I got a deep (through primer) key scratch about 6 inches long on my black Audi.

Does anybody have experiences with mobile scratch companies (I found these 2 on google):

Colorworks - fixing your vehicles bumps and bruises since 1991

Scratch Wizard - Mobile Permanent Vehicle Paint Scratch and Chip Repair

vs going to a body shop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay away from Colourworks, they are very operator dependant Sam at Scratch wizard isn`t bad though, try Paint Force, Kevin is the owner operator and a great painter, i know from experience

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you go to a body shop rather than those specialty shops. More often that not, they quote more expensive materials and labor. Try searching online for detailing shops in your area then contact them for your auto repair questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    A body-shop will charge a lot more than a mobile repair like Scratch Wizard typically 60 to 70% less. Deep scratches can`t be done properly without the use of some kind of filler so you may need to have a body-shop do the work. I haven`t really heard how good the mobile dent repair companies are

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you go to a body shop rather than those specialty shops. More often that not, they quote more expensive materials and labor. Try searching online for detailing shops in your area then contact them for your car repair questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you go to a body shop rather than those specialty shops. More often that not, they quote more expensive materials and labor. Try searching online for detailing shops in your area then contact them for your car repair questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest a body shop either way. The mobile guys come to you and do not have the equipment to do the painting in a "clean" area that is dust-free. I have seen ColorWorks at many dealers doing spot repair (which is quite good). I scuffed my bumper on a concrete pillar and they quoted me about $200-300 for a repaint of the area (blending) but I think I`m going to get my body shop to do a full bumper repaint as there are already flaking areas from a repair done before the car came into my hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kidatheart
    A body-shop will charge a lot more than a mobile repair like Scratch Wizard typically 60 to 70% less. Deep scratches can`t be done properly without the use of some kind of filler so you may need to have a body-shop do the work. I haven`t really heard how good the mobile dent repair companies are

That is great idea.. I`m considering mobile repairs as an option for quickfixes nowadays. It is cheaper and a lot more convenient.

Post Thanks / Like
    colorworks does average work.. quick fixes for dealer cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been hugely impressed by Scratch Wizard - on outcome, price and customer service. I don`t write testimonials as a rule and wonder sometimes if they aren`t written by insiders but feel that I have to write one in this instance.

My 2006 Lincoln Zephyr was really scratched up - at three corners from various parking mishaps and along the passenger side door handle from a nasty passing truck in Georgia, which also creased the front passenger side bumper. And when I say scratched, I mean badly scraped. With the seven year old car`s value being what it is, I would not have paid for a full repaint and would have muddled through until getting a new one next year and would likely have received little on a trade-in.

Mine needed more work than just a home visit and it went into their shop for two days. They took off and resprayed the substantial bumpers and ordered new clips (one of mine was broken). They also fixed by buffing the scrapes along the door handle and various other small scratches on the body of the car, plus eliminated the rust that was starting up on a door frame. Sam then made another trip to Toronto (they are Bradford-based, I think) a week later to buff out any remaining small scratches.

The result is superb. With the bumpers and door handle, you can`t tell that they were ever scratched, taking care of 90% of the problem. The smaller ones on the body are visible on very close inspection as slight variations in the paint. It looks almost like new and my total cost was $1300, which was for quite a lot of work. I am sure that most people`s scrapes and scratches would be far less expensive (in the zone of a few hundred dollars) but for the work done on mine, I think it was a great deal.

In short, my car looks again like the $45,000 car it was new, rather than the $5,000 or $6000 car that I could have traded-in in that condition. But now I like it so much I am in no hurry to get rid of it.

Thread Information