Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard from one guy who works at a body shop that due to new laws on environmental friendliness, all body shops will soon be forced to switch from aerosol based paint systems to water based systems. Soon they will not be able to buy their current type of paints. Supposedly this will result in many body shops having problems because the water based systems are more troublesome to work with, and will require new training and techniques.

Can anyone comment on this? Is there any truth to this report?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DownFlyer
    ...all body shops will soon be forced to switch from aerosol based paint systems to water based systems.

I think you mean solvent-based to water-based.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I think you mean solvent-based to water-based.

Maybe that is what he meant. He said "aerosol" but maybe all solvent based paints are aerosol based? I don`t know.

Post Thanks / Like
    California has already made the transformation to waterborne paint. There`s a huge push for it to trickle down to all the others, but there`s quite a bit of resistance to change. Climates like the one here is Florida makes for a disaster waiting to happen. I know of 1 high end shop that switched over and it failed miserably. After countless hours getting coached from the manufacturer`s techs/reps, they still couldn`t smooth out all the problems they had. They ended up going back to spraying solvent again on most jobs.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DownFlyer
    Maybe that is what he meant. He said "aerosol" but maybe all solvent based paints are aerosol based? I don`t know.

Well, I don`t know either, but I would prefer to perform an aerosol application of my water-based paint, as opposed to brushing it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    California has already made the transformation to waterborne paint. There`s a huge push for it to trickle down to all the others, but there`s quite a bit of resistance to change. Climates like the one here is Florida makes for a disaster waiting to happen. I know of 1 high end shop that switched over and it failed miserably. After countless hours getting coached from the manufacturer`s techs/reps, they still couldn`t smooth out all the problems they had. They ended up going back to spraying solvent again on most jobs.

We`ve already been through at least one round of this kind of thing industrially. When the CFC`s were phased out 15 years ago anyone who was blowing any kind of foam had to relearn it, and then when all the rattle-can propellants and VOC changes, everybody had to relearn their rattle-can products. The car companies seem to be doing ok with their waterborne paints. It`s just a learning curve, and possibly the body shops will have to get more sophisticated with their climate control. I was in my dealer a few weeks ago here in NJ and they had a big sign up about switching to waterborne in their body shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard this from an NAPA auto parts store and also a couple of other local paint shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes there is a law coming banning solvent borne paints. As with any change there will be resistance, rumors, fear, and winners and losers. We switched over 18 months ago, and would not switch back. Color matches are easier, no special breathing apparatus needed, great hiding, easy to correct should you OOPS, easy gun cleaning(water) no solvent disposal issues, paint does not need a mixing stand (nice energy savings) , no need to bake the paint, hides much better, and is less expensive.

Down sides, need a special booth to properly work the paint(dries with air flow not heat), has a learning curve, and can`t be wet sanded.

Some local shops had switched , and wanted to go back, this is usually caused by poor support form the paint rep, doing as they think as opposed to how they were taught, not having the right equipment(guns, booth, air delivery system), and plain old resistance to change.
    At Your Service

Yvan

Post Thanks / Like
    So it can`t be wet sanded. So "molding" the paint so to speak has to be done immediately after application? What happens for small scratches and stone chips and blobs that occur after filling?

Sorry you seem quite informed about this so I thought I would pick your brain

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though the color coats are water based , the clear is still solvent base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikku
    So it can`t be wet sanded. So "molding" the paint so to speak has to be done immediately after application? What happens for small scratches and stone chips and blobs that occur after filling?

Sorry you seem quite informed about this so I thought I would pick your brain

I think he means it can`t be wetsanded when un-cured? Correct me if I am wrong. I know I have wetsanded waterborne paints with the same success as solvent based paints; but that was always long after they were sprayed.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencea
    Even though the color coats are water based , the clear is still solvent base.

The only paint manufacturer that is offering a water`d clear is Akzo Nobel.

Regardless, the finish can be sanded the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct. if when spraying you get the dang blasted little annoyance, it must be dry sanded.
    At Your Service

Yvan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    I think he means it can`t be wetsanded when un-cured? Correct me if I am wrong. I know I have wetsanded waterborne paints with the same success as solvent based paints; but that was always long after they were sprayed.

I hope we can still wetsand. Was there a longer cure time for the waterborne paints you`ve had to wetsand Kevin?

BTW i`ve seen your work all over the place. Great work. When you get free time post more up

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW - heat can still be used to aid in the curing process of waterborn. It will actually reduce the humidity & speed up the curing process for the solvent clear application. There`s also talks about implementing a low solid system that could reduce VOC`s by 75%. PPG I think is the only one doing it right now with great success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information