Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I searched Canadian tire website and seen pretty much negative reviews for their electric pws. Simoniz seems to be worst of them all. I think walmart sells karcher brand? not sure.. havent seen a pw in walmart around here.. any advice on a decent pw that wont die and wont cost a fortune? I dont need any industrial strength one like the landa. Also, what about foam lance? is that sold separately? I went to coin car wash the other day and was floored by the pressure hose there.. I wouldnt mind paying for these if in the end it amounts to same as replacing pw often.. but the problem is that by the time I drive home, car is covered in muck... hence my search.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some research on PW`s a few years ago and came to the conclusion that unless you are paying $500 or more for the upgraded pump, off hand can`t remember the type of pump, they are considered light duty.

Which is OK if you don`t plan on using it much.

A buddy did buy a Simoniz and it calved in a few months. Though he did leave it hooked up to the water line, which can cause mineral build up.

I bought that cheap little yellow one, that Can Tire often has on sale for $50, a couple of years ago and it is still working, and has been used a lot.

It isn`t very powerful compared to a car wash, but which cheap ones are.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Salty has said, unless you buy the expensive ones, they will not last that long.

I too have the cheap yellow one from CT that I got when I needed a new wand.($39.99 for the wand, $50 for the power washer with a wand!-I use it for mobile work and it is still working)

I also have a 1600 psi Simoniz unit and it has been good so far(1 year-has a 2 year warranty). It is quiet for a power washer and has a foam attachment. I also have a Husky(Home Depot) $89.99 unit that I leave in the shop and it is not as good as the others.(Noisy and has been replaced when it sprung a leak).

The Karcher are the worst built out there. They have plastic hosing inside the unit.(hose that attaches to the wand and to the water hose which break if the unit is pulled by the hose or wand.)

So buy a 1600-1800 psi unit with metal piping(can see when looking at the front and back), a shorter length wand with a good warranty and buy with a gold or platinum card to extend the warranty! Then just swap for a new one as needed!

Watch for Canadian Tire ads as they always have 1/2 sales on power washers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t the real question based upon how frequently the washer will be used? If it`s for daily commercial production, you`ve got to spend some real money to acquire a unit that will last. If it`s a washer that will be used a few times per month, how much do you really have to spend?

Sure, there`s plenty of cheap junk out there - - I don`t doubt that for a second. And I would not buy something in the $50 range...it`s not gonna last.

I purchased a Karcher at BJ`s 5 or 6 years ago. It`s electric and has a max pressure of 1400psi, IIRC. I spent $150 on it, never had any issues and have gotten my $$$ worth from it. It`s handy for many tasks around the homestead. When I need to replace it, it will likely be another mid-range Karcher unless there`s something new/proven on the market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unlike Tom P I`ve had nothing but trouble from my numerous Karchers. I finally wised up and decide to never buy another one, but I`ve yet to get a replacement.

I can *almost* remember the type of pump that`s supposed to work so well..."Axial" maybe :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the alternate plan is get something that is in the $800 range. My father bought a unit that has a Honda engine...I guess it`s around 1800psi. He uses it to powerwash his deck...says it works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two, an electric and a gas powered one. If you ever win the lottery, here are a few ideas for one that`ll last a while:

Honda engine - the GX series is the commercial model and will last forever. The GC series is the non-commercial line and is still good.

Pumps - Comet is low end, General/National is midgrade but good, and Cat is usually considered the best.

A stainless steel cart would be a bonus feature.

My small electric one has broken about a dozen times but internal washers and seals are easy to replace if you don`t mind taking it apart yourself, and that`s the only way you`ll repair the smaller electric ones. Shops charge huge hourly rates so the smaller electric PWs are almost considered disposable.

-JohnZ3MC

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using a Craftsman with a Briggs engine on it. It`s probably close to 7 or so years old now and still runs strong. It`s a 2550PSI unit. I will however need to replace some of the o-rings soon. I think this unit was in the $300 or so range. Well worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    heres one for $119, 55% off and wet/dry vac...

thoughts?

Canadian Tire
    2000 silver GT mustang..selling

2004 odyssey eXL-res- silver

2005 accord EXL- silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there,

I have bought all of them from Simonize & krachter.

The best one I found is by Black & Decker it is under $125 cdn

It is waranted for 2 years .

It does a great job

Post Thanks / Like
    Get one with a Honda engine ... they are the best, BE pressure in BC make good pressure washers available at Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Karcher pressure washer with a good Briggs engine and a bad pump. Honda engines are quieter than Briggs, but Briggs engines last a long time and parts are available everywhere. Karcher pumps are junk, at least the lower cost units sold at big box stores.

For now I`m using my neighbor`s pressure washer, maybe this is the best way to go for occasional use?
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently ordered a PowerWasher model PW1800U and it arrived DOA. The manufacturer sent out a replacement GFI (took two weeks) so I had to repair my "NEW" PW before I could use it. Next, the tolerances were so poor that the high pressure hose connection would cross thread from the pressure. The manufacturer said that`s not a problem as long as the hose isn`t blowing off the unit. Well I considered it a problem and sent it back under the 30 day return limit.

I`ve read a lot of reviews and find most agree with my opinion that the consumer electrics are a mixed lot. Some users have good results but a significant number have major problems with them. If you do choose to buy an electric consumer grade model, I`d suggest you buy it at a place where you can also purchase an extended warranty. You are more likely than not going to be using that warranty as these are seeming all poorly designed and constructed units made in China with virtually no QC.

I like the concept of an electric PW as I don`t have to maintain another gas engine for as seldom as I use it and it does not pollute the air. Yet I`ve gone through three electrics now in three years and my next unit will be a gas powered model.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks to this thread, i was able to pick up a karcher 1400 psi electric pressure washer for $39 (it`s a hot buy that OSH got direct from the manufacturer and once they are gone that`s it) with the $10 off coupon (regular price is $49 which still is a good deal when it`s $100+ everywhere else)! there were only a few left at the one i went to...

Hey Guys hit up OSH now! Karcher Powerwasher $40 - Detailing Bliss Forum

p.s. i`m not going to be using this on a regular basis, but more for engine detailing and when the car(s) are really dirty...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I personally have the Landa Gold Series. For the shop. Quite costly but by far a much much better PW than the other one which is a Karcher with a Honda engine. I use that for mobile units. I immediatly upgraded the hose to a steel braided professional grade hose. The hose cost just as much as the PW (about $200) but with the upgrade I`ve had zero issues with the Karcher. (But the Landa is still better by a very very huge margin)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information