Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey fellas,

Recently, I`ve been placing orders outside Canada. Some are car care related, others not. I`ve purchased on 2 separate occasions both from the US, and both shippers using UPS. First instance was a camera valued at $800US, and I got raped for $185CAD for brokerage/custom duty fees. The second was vinyl film valued at $100US and I got raped for $40CAD. This is on top of what I already paid for shipping. Now, the other purchases I`ve done - for instance - involved ordering a $100CAD value from Singapore using FedEx. Only got charged $0.11 that I was told not to bother paying. The rest are FedEx or First Class US Postal Mail from the US with no brokerage/custom fees, just regular S&H that was handled during checkout. Anyone else getting the same problem with UPS because it`s pissing me off? From now on, I`m going to specifically ask for FedEx or US Postal. :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had this problem with a few car parts I ordered. Recently I purchased a master power window switch for $50USD and was being sold for $149.99 at dealerships. So it crosses the border, and I got charged customs on the $149.99 price! grrrr. And yes, it was shipped with UPS.

Second time around they shipped with USPS and I`ve been happy

Post Thanks / Like
    well fellas, when ordering things from the states, either go first class, or go usps, not worth getting it shipped via ups or major carriers since they all charge the bogus brokerage fee`s. good luck!

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure why you didn`t get charged any brokerage from FedEx, as they do charge for it too. I get all my stuff shipped USPS or I don`t order it. (Also, make sure the person you`re dealing with knows about customs/taxes. They might think they`ll just put a $100 declared value on a $20 item "for insurance purposes," but you`ll get charged the taxes on the full $100.)
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    USPS is the best way to go it seems, UPS just absolutely ruins you on brokerage and all that stuff; it is quite ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeegr
    I`m not sure why you didn`t get charged any brokerage from FedEx, as they do charge for it too. I get all my stuff shipped USPS or I don`t order it. (Also, make sure the person you`re dealing with knows about customs/taxes. They might think they`ll just put a $100 declared value on a $20 item "for insurance purposes," but you`ll get charged the taxes on the full $100.)

Thanks fellas. Looks like I`m not the only one. That`s good to know. As for FedEx not charging me. I don`t know about that. I`ve used them exclusively before in my old job, and never had a problem. That`s why I was a bit surprised with UPS. I never liked UPS to begin with already, and these experiences just solidifies that.

Post Thanks / Like
    FedEx usually sends the bill a few days later in the mail. I asked them why they do this and they said so shipments are not refused! I ordered a set of balljoint boots at $4.00ea, total was $12CAD............ FedEx nailed me with $35CAD! Being 15min from the border is great now, everything I order for business or personal gets shipped to our USA depot in Buffalo then we import it ourselves.
    Chris Pace,

eShine Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eShine
    FedEx usually sends the bill a few days later in the mail. I asked them why they do this and they said so shipments are not refused! I ordered a set of balljoint boots at $4.00ea, total was $12CAD............ FedEx nailed me with $35CAD! Being 15min from the border is great now, everything I order for business or personal gets shipped to our USA depot in Buffalo then we import it ourselves.

The bill I got for the Singapore shipment arrived in the mail a few days later as you stated. I paid - I believe - was $12US int`l priority and was only charged $0.11 for a $100CAD value. FedEx didn`t even bother billing me, they just sent the statement for record keeping purposes. This is the only time I received any sort of brokerage invoice from FedEx. We`ll see about a month from now as I`m planning on ordering some Werkstatt and CG stuff. eShine, if you can get any of these, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FitSport
    Werkstatt and CG stuff. eShine, if you can get any of these, please let me know.

I contacted WerkStatt once about selling in Canada, he wasn`t interested at the time due to his low margin. There is no point to selling chemical guys when they sell to the public at wholesale prices, they basically cut the throats of their suppliers.
    Chris Pace,

eShine Canada

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The same thing has happened to me with UPS and I won`t use them for cross border shipments. I have been nailed a couple of times with shipments from AG and it was shipped USPS. The fee wasn`t too bad but it`s still irritating as we`re supposed to have all this "free trade". Ha, that turned out to be a big joke so far. If I need anything major I`ll be ordering from Chris.
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like
    UPS charges a variable broker fee on their packages. They think if a package is worth more they should charge more for doing the math on the duty/taxes. Here`s a fee table so you know what to expect: UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada

Canadsa post (via USPS) is a flat $5 + tax on packages with a listed value over $20. Marking the package as gift gives you a $20 cushion before they charge taxes. I have a hard time getting peole from the US to mail by USPS.

Fedex has started to follow UPS in this broker fee structure since they are getting away with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eShine
    I contacted WerkStatt once about selling in Canada, he wasn`t interested at the time due to his low margin. There is no point to selling chemical guys when they sell to the public at wholesale prices, they basically cut the throats of their suppliers.

That sucks that you can`t get CG stuff. I have been ordering CG items from PakShak but they dont carry everything. I tried e-mailing CG directly to see if they ship to canada but no luck ( as in no response) . :sadpace:

Post Thanks / Like
    If you live in the GTA just have it shipped to the Niagara Falls UPS depot they will hold it there for you for 5 days. I have a US address 30sec from the boarder so I never ship stuff anymore I just go over pick it up fill up with gas and pay the tax on the way home.
    You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, `Wow, you`re right! I never would`ve thought of that!`

Post Thanks / Like
    $39 dollar headlight wiper --> $80 customs charge, $50 more than the dealer. Screw UPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White_07_G6_GT
    If you live in the GTA just have it shipped to the Niagara Falls UPS depot they will hold it there for you for 5 days. I have a US address 30sec from the boarder so I never ship stuff anymore I just go over pick it up fill up with gas and pay the tax on the way home.

Please elaborate? How much cheaper is it? Or is there even a cost at all?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information