Post Thanks / Like
    I know there are a lot of non-daily driver cars on here, so I thought I`d ask this. On my Mom`s XJS, there is a drain on the battery that they`ve never been able to find (it`s a `94, so there`s been plenty of time!). One place installed an electronic device that`s supposed to stop drain, but doesn`t work at all. About 3 days will kill the battery if it`s not started (and the battery is fine-she`s had a dozen different ones).

I have seen a piece that goes between the terminal & cable that has a screw that can be removed to interrupt the circuit & stop the drain. I found one at a local auto store, but it was a PITA-it had to be spliced on and removing the `screw` just seperated the two pieces. I`m sure I`ve seen one that removing the `screw` just broke the metal to metal contact.

Does anyone know where to get one of those, or have any other suggestions? It`s not driven very often (has 16,000 miles), but it`s a PITA when you want to drive it and it won`t start.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a similar situation on our ski boat. It would hang for a couple of weeks (if the weather was bad on the weekends), and in this time the battery would drain.

I found the device that you`re looking for at Griot`s Garage.

It`s worked really well over the past 3 years (never had to jump the boat after installing it).

Their site seems a little slow this morning, but here`s the link:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=36740

I give it :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs (two thumbs up!)

OOPS! After re-reading your post, you`re looking for a quick-release kind of deal. . . try this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77747

If this isn`t what you`re looking for, maybe check out a race car supply shop, and look for a power shut-off switch (required on all race cars), which will simply disconnect the positive by turning the switch.

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

Post Thanks / Like
    kompressor, are there any "reset" issues or problems when the battery is disconnected?

PlanB: Get one of the "smart" battery chargers from Yuasa or Battery Tender. That should put out adequate current to offset the draw and keep the battery in tip top shape!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    3 days! You ought to be able to find that problem. How have you tried looking for it? If you can put an ammeter in the battery system somewhere (I`m talking about a multimeter), you can see the current drawn and pull fuses one at a time until you find the load. Then at least you know which circuit is causing the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! The little electronic thing is what she has (not from Groit`s) that doesn`t work. That battery disconnect is what I was looking for.

The only reset issue is that you have to punch in the stereo code-nothing else is affected. Guess being a 10 year old car, it doesn`t have all the electronic issues.

The trickle charger is an idea, but becasue of where the car is parked (middle of a 4 car garage) it`s inconvenient with the cords & all.

The car has been in the shop numerous times for this, and they have never been able to locate it. Been this way from almost day one, and even the dealership couldn`t find it. Two or three import places have tried to find it and couldn`t. Since it`s not an every day car, it`s never been a huge issue I guess. It`s just driven for fun-not to go anywhere.

Isn`t there a joke somewhere about English cars & electrical issues?
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Why have our British brethren resigned themselves to drinking warm beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Been that way since new? Dealer couldn`t find it? 3 days!?!?!?!? No wonder everbody was so happy when Ford bought Jaguar. Don`t start with the Lucas electrical system jokes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive had tons of those second quick disconnects in the second Griots link, they are poorly made,seem very counter intuitive and difficult to install and can act up any way , I`m finished with them.

I`m beginning to think the best thing is to simply disconnect the battery entirely on a non daily driver.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, the car needs to be fixed. There are only a few things that should drain a battery when the car is off. Clocks, load-leveling suspension, and the radio/computer memory. If the car has a digital clock, it should be off when the car is off. Think how long the battery lasts in even an analog wris````ch (a year), and how small that battery is compared to a car battery, and you will begin to appreciate what a huge drain you have.

If you have a load-leveling suspension, and there is a leak, the pump could be coming on several times a day, which IMO is still not enough to run the battery down in 3 days, plus I don`t think the Jaguar has that kind of system.

As far as the radio/computer...think about how much data is stored in your PC when it`s off (I`m talking about BIOS/calendar info, not hard drive), that is maintained by a little watch battery or capacitor on the motherboard.

The conclusion I am coming to, especially since it started "almost", but not quite at day one, is that a light is staying on. Glove box, underhood, trunk light probably. Probably a bad/misadjusted switch.

If your problem was 3 months or 3 weeks I would agree with the disconnect or charger, etc., but 3 days is just too short, too big a problem, too easy to find to not fix it. A dark garage may find it easily. You should be able to see light leakage if it`s a glove box or underhood light. The trunk light may be tougher, but if you take the bulb out and the battery doesn`t die, you`ve found the location, if not the reason.

Of course, could be those darn Lucas electrics. Maybe they have a little guy in there managing the engine, and he needs a reading light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try pulling breakers, one or two at a time, the one that doesn`t drop the battery off after its pulled is the one sapping your power. This might take a few days and a few charge cycles but its something most anyone can do.

I have the batt disconnect, dont buy it from Griots, its half that price anywhere else. Google can save you 50% on that item.

They say the reason Brits drink warm beer is the fridges are made by lucas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, Lucas - - The Prince of Darkness

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not install one of those heavy duty boat type on/off switches in the line at the positive side of the battery. That way you can turn everything completely off when the vehicle is not in use.

I`ve got one on my 69` Corvette Stingray and it is very reassuring knowing that nothing is on and therefore there should never be an electrical problem that could cause a fire when the car is not in use.

If you get a chance, check out those boat on/off switches at your nearby boat supply store.

Post Thanks / Like
    I apologize for not reading this thread too too carefully, but I thought about installing one of these at one point, but then realized that it would become ridiculously simple for a theif to disable the factory alarm on my car in a few seconds.....

I know you said the car is not a daily driver, but it is something to consider.

Thread Information