Post Thanks / Like
    i just got new tags for my car and i want to put nice, not $4 from pep boys frames on them.. prefferably just matte black. I looked on griots garage and they have some but it would be around $70 for a set.. thats a little steep for me. anyone know a site to get similarly high quality frames for maybe $20 each? thanks for anyone`s help.
    clean car = happy car

Post Thanks / Like
    Autogeek.net has a decent selection, and most are priced less than Griot`s. I just installed on of the "Ital Premier" series frames on one of our cars this week. Very nice design and good quality for $25.

http://autogeek.net/licplatfram.html

-Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    i just got back from target and they had a plate cover for $10 that was black metal with a clear plastic cover and the screw caps. i got 2 of them. i will put them on tomorrow and see how they are.. thanks for the autogeek link. if they suck, i will get some from there.
    clean car = happy car

Post Thanks / Like
    well i`m from australia so i don`t really know about your systems, but i got matt black covers for only 20 bucks australian, about 30bucks US from a company called ALTREX, very good covers.

Post Thanks / Like
    i made my own from the stuff at Pepboys....i`ll take a pic later....gotta get to class.....you can see some halway decent pics at my site below....

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NeonLights

Autogeek.net has a decent selection, and most are priced less than Griot`s. I just installed on of the "Ital Premier" series frames on one of our cars this week. Very nice design and good quality for $25.

Glad to hear you like your frame. I have two (chrome) on order for the wife`s car. The rep at Autogeek told me he has had the same frame on two cars over several years and the finish is still "like new"!

BTW, the frames are a couple dollars cheaper if you buy them in pairs. :up

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Nice license plate frames...

~One mans opinion / observations~

I brought a frame from autosportcatalog.com ‘The Fort Knox of License Plate Covers’ (Chrome $50) for the garage queen and a Autogeek ‘AutoCross Lens Frame’ ($25) for the daily driver.

Monetary considerations aside I should have brought the Autogeek frame for both vehicles

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought customized chrome frames from http://www.gunthergifts.com/perlicplatfr.html Excellent customer service! When one of the plates piited last winter they replaced it free of charge immediately. Even re-engraved the custom plaques on the top and bottom. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    It is hard to buy frames for TX plates. If the frame touches any of the words on the plate you could end up with a ticket. So I have to look for plates that are thin at the top. I hate this law. Does anybody know of a place to get thin at the top frames?

Post Thanks / Like
    for my Z I bought from a online dealership...not black tho - mine were brushed aluminum - $30 a piece but a 10 fold step up in quality from pep boyz

Post Thanks / Like
    Trenz makes some nice frames that should work in Texas. They are available in polished and brused aluminum.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part.c...&CategoryID=25

Post Thanks / Like

Here is mine.....you can see my plate #.....I don`t care tho.... ....I made it with less than 6$ in parts including parts...This is the second one i`ve made so it`s still not perfect....but i make a new one everytime i get significantly better at painting....I take a plastic frame.....cutoff the tabs where the screws go....paint it.....silicone it to the clear frame....then i put a coat of black paint over the screws too....

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer not to have a frame around my plate. Yes, plate. Even though I am supposed to have a front plate in Texas, my car doesn`t even have the bracket to mount it....and on my Accord, my first mod was to remove the front plate and bracket. Not one ticket in 8 1/2 years and 220,000 miles with that car.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Rainbow

It is hard to buy frames for TX plates. If the frame touches any of the words on the plate you could end up with a ticket. So I have to look for plates that are thin at the top. I hate this law. Does anybody know of a place to get thin at the top frames?

Wal-Mart. I `ve got one. Matte finish that didnt last very long, so i shot it with gloss black. Fits perfect and shows everything that needs to be shown.
    96 Impala SS, black

Thread Information