Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to buy a new battery and have no idea which one to get, anyone have a reccommendation for me?

I drive my vehicle daily and for at least 15 minutes at a time. I also do not have any extra electronics. I am pretty sure this means I do not need to pay a premium for an expensive battery, but maybe there are other upsides to batteries like optima than just the popular marketed features?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Exide myself. My first experience with Exide was in my first car. My Mustang got totalled and the battery was all smashed to Hell. We towed the car to my uncles where it sat for a month. Thn we went to push i to the front yard to sell it and the dang car started right up. Could not drive it far seeing the tires were not straight but the battery was still working.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of car? Where is the battery located?

Optima and other dry cell batteries offer advantages to people who have batteries that are located in enclosed trucks or firewalls. The dry cell, sealed enclosures don`t need venting and they don`t leak battery acid. There are some other advantages but they may or may not apply to your application.

Post Thanks / Like
    subaru wrx. Battery is in standard mounting, in engine bay. Car sees occasionaly track days and autocrosses if that makes a difference (as in high levels of heat).

Post Thanks / Like
    I still say if you want to keep the cost down an Exide would be good. I have an Optima in my Civic and it does nothing for me. Was a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only real advantage the Optima would offer you in your application is reduced weight. Personally I think it would a waste of money. Any of the name brand batteries, Exide, Interstate, Diehard, etc. would work well for your application. I would save your money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had good luck with Diehard batteies sold by Sears. Stay away from recycled batteries.
    2000 Infiniti I30t Jade Green

1990 Nissan Maxima SE Graphite Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never had an Optima but a bunch of people I know do. They do carry a weight advantage and are dry which may be a benefit.

FYI: Consumers Distort reviewed auto batteries very recently.

Any of the standard bearers (Sears product line, Interstate and Exide, etc.) will generally suit 95% of the population. The Walmart batteries placed very mid-pack. Costco has a "Kirkland" battery which was their top pick....~$60.

I`d find out if your car requires a special battery configuration. One of my VWs needs a "special" battery and I was able to find a perfect replacement at Batteries Plus (national chain).
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    So exide or diehard as of right now? Sounds good to me...

I thought the optimas were too expensive , at least for my application, but someone reccommended them on my impreza.net, so I just figured I would ask about them.

I don`t know why I am being so anal about what battery I buy, but I enjoy the power the internet gives consumers, and I always try to wield that power to its fullest when making a big purchase.

Thanks, anyone have any kind of data or website that would allow me to learn or research more about batteries?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom, I will check to see if I have a costco near me.

edit: looks like I do have a costco here, I had no idea. Looks like that will be my first choice currently.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Optima Yellow Top...:up
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Costco is a membership club so you need to factor that in or get someone to purchase the battery for you that has a membership.

Also, you`d need to verify Kirkland has a battery for your car.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    AutoZone`s Gold battery. I got 4 1/2 years out of mine in Dallas summer heat and I have underdrive pulleys. I`ve never had a battery last me more than 3 years before I got the AutoZone battery. The one for my car is 1000 CCA (800 CCA at 32 degrees) and 8 year prorated warranty with 3 year free replacement. Pretty good deal if you ask me!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    autozones. I just got one installed on my maxima and wanted to do the same form my gf`s 626. I had to use a diehard on her`s since it died in the sears parking lot (good luck I guess). The dihard was more expensive (for a smaller size) and didn`t offer the same warrenty as the autozone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by medic

autozones. I just got one installed on my maxima and wanted to do the same form my gf`s 626. I had to use a diehard on her`s since it died in the sears parking lot (good luck I guess). The dihard was more expensive (for a smaller size) and didn`t offer the same warrenty as the autozone.

I noticed that online, about the prices and warranty, and started thinking that I am going with the 2/7 year warranty autozone battery (duralast not gold).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information