Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race Ramps

Post Thanks / Like

Race Ramps

Anyone use any type of drive up ramp for oil changes??

- Do they stay put when you drive up on them?
    - Should I go w steel or plastic?
    - Any difference between the actual Race Ramp brand and the others that would sway you either way? Other than price of course.
    - Do they get the vehicle up high enough to get under it for an oil change?

I just hate jackstands more and more. And they always seem to need to be placed exactly where the jack is....

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S2 using Tapatalk

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Race Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Anyone use any type of drive up ramp for oil changes??

- Do they stay put when you drive up on them?
    - Should I go w steel or plastic?
    - Any difference between the actual Race Ramp brand and the others that would sway you either way? Other than price of course.
    - Do they get the vehicle up high enough to get under it for an oil change?

I just hate jackstands more and more. And they always seem to need to be placed exactly where the jack is....

Been using them forever

You definitely want steel .. they are bulky to move around and store

You also may want to check the grade as vehicle with low front valances can rub (then you may need a piece of wood)

You also need to use them on black top only .. if you use them on cement they slide sometimes especially rear wheel drive
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by I may need a piece of wood?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by I may need a piece of wood?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    You may need to put wood infront of the race ramps so that you can clear your bumper. The race ramps depending which you buy may be too steep to get to the tires before the bumpers hit. This is how you would set that up if you have a lowered car/long nose like a corvette.

Thanks dschribs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using RhinoRamps (autozone) for awhile now for my cars. They stay put and work well for my needs. Make sure you buy a set that can handle the proper weight for you vehicles and your good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I have been using RhinoRamps (autozone) for awhile now for my cars. They stay put and work well for my needs. Make sure you buy a set that can handle the proper weight for you vehicles and your good.
    Do you still use jack stands under the ramps? I Googled that brand and and some folks have had issues w them actually collapsing under the weight of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Yep...got a set of 4 of those back in 2004 for Corvette oil changes. Been using em ever since with no issues with all cars for oil changes, WalMart.

They seem to be shrinking a bit over the years though as I used to be able to get further under the car than now.

Edit: first time I ever saw race ramps price I was stunned.

Post Thanks / Like

I got four rhino Ramps they gotta be 20 years old never an issue

IMO the idea behind the ramps is to get the car up safe so you don`t need a jack and stands. So no you don`t use stands with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do you still use jack stands under the ramps? I Googled that brand and and some folks have had issues w them actually collapsing under the weight of the car.

I do have jack stands as an extra level of security. But I haven`t had any circumstances or issues where I needed them yet. But I am using them for my cars which are smaller. ( VW Jetta, GTI, Acura RSX).

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used nothing but ramps. I had a set of rhino ramps I used for my ex wife`s caravan and my pickup truck, never had any issues. I also have a set of LONG race ramps that I used on my c5z. I will never get rid of them because I`m convinced I will one day buy another sports car. And they were expensive as piss.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of them (the low approach angle ones) but honestly I use jacks/stands a *LOT* more often. And yeah, like JHL88 I learned about the need for a low approach angle with my lowered C5, sure wish I`d had the ramps back then! Now I only need that for the S8, but I *do* need it and I simply hate [messing] around with wooden boards.

FWIW, they support the Tahoe just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

when my wife had her fusion i had a plastic set and loved em. Super handy. We`ve got a couple big trucks now, so most of the quick oil changed type stuff I really don`t even have to jack em up lol

Post Thanks / Like

i wouldn`t mind having a set. The jack/stands gets kind of old. It`s a drag someimes.

BE SURE TO USE WHEEL CHOCKS!!

In my younger days, I was helping my brother out. The front of the car was up on ramps. He was working on top, while I was underneath the car working on the bottom. The knucklehead didn`t have it in gear (manual shift) AND he didn`t have the car in neutral. Yup, it`s going where you think this is going.

As he was leaning on the car wrenching on something, there was enough force to push the car back and off the ramps!! Back then, I was much younger and much thinner. As the car compressed the shocks, the radiator support/frame managed to compress my chest slightly and something else hit my head (that explains a lot?). I was VERY lucky it wasn`t worse. Oh, and as I was quickly getting over the shock of what happened, the car kept rolling back the 10-12 feet of driveway, working it`s way onto the street where cars could have been driving by, and other cars parked. Me and my brother rushed to stop it, as well as a neighbor. We managed to stop it before it hit a parked car.

Yeah, things can happen. I use wheel chocks now, and double and triple check e-brake, shift location, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using race ramps for several years, they are handy since my cars sit lower. I do have to lay old rubber floor mat under ramp so it doesn`t slide on garage floor and 2x10 in front so the front lip clears, e brake and wheel chocks. Makes it easy for oil changes, there are a must have in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Rhino ramps here, like mentioned above get the size for the weight of your vehicle. They work great and stay put. They also stack inside of each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information