Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 71 Firebird

Post Thanks / Like

71 Firebird

Should be starting this one within the next few weeks. Going to take it to my friend for dustless blasting and I will take it from there. I will post updates as I go.

[/QUOTE]
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 71 Firebird

Sweet car! One thing I love about older cars is that there were so many more common colors, not just the plain silver/gray, black, and white that seemingly 85%+ of modern cars have

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna be a nice car! Those vinyl roofs sure didn`t stand the test of time.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely one of my favorite cars

Quote Originally Posted by rottenII View Post
    Those vinyl roofs sure didn`t stand the test of time.
    they were rust magnets and the trunk floor and quarters usually had rust problems too due to poor water drainage
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Definitely one of my favorite cars

they were rust magnets and the trunk floor and quarters usually had rust problems too due to poor water drainage
    Other than some rust where the vinyl top meets the quarter everything looks pretty dang good. Inside of trunk has some very minor surface rust on the floor but the quarters look brand new looking from inside the trunk. I`m hoping it is as clean as what it looks. It`s going to be a good looking car. Since I`m starting from scratch with the paint it`s pretty much going to be show quality when I get done. I`m not necessarily getting paid for show quality but this is the first I`ve done from scratch other than my truck. It will be an advertisement kinda thing. Don`t get me wrong I`m making a good profit. Just not what a resto shop would be getting.

Post Thanks / Like

please post lots of updates
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

What are your plans for the drive train? paint/body?

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!! My high school car was a `71 Camaro. Loved that car.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    Other than some rust where the vinyl top meets the quarter everything looks pretty dang good. Inside of trunk has some very minor surface rust on the floor but the quarters look brand new looking from inside the trunk. I`m hoping it is as clean as what it looks. It`s going to be a good looking car. Since I`m starting from scratch with the paint it`s pretty much going to be show quality when I get done. I`m not necessarily getting paid for show quality but this is the first I`ve done from scratch other than my truck. It will be an advertisement kinda thing. Don`t get me wrong I`m making a good profit. Just not what a resto shop would be getting.
    you are very fortunate to start with a car in that condition .. we will all be waiting for updates
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

xtremekustomz- AH, I`m *REALLY* looking forward to this one!

Ya know...I can`t help but wonder what you charge for your work. I understand if you don`t want to post stuff like that, but I`m still curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    xtremekustomz- AH, I`m *REALLY* looking forward to this one!

Ya know...I can`t help but wonder what you charge for your work. I understand if you don`t want to post stuff like that, but I`m still curious.
    Not enough but I`m working my way up! The more I do the more I have others wanting me to do stuff for him. No one other than Maaco within around 60 miles will do an all over job especially not something like this. Insurance jobs are their money maker and some won`t even paint anything on a car unless insurance is paying. . If they do they price it so high people run. The one shop 60 miles away that does do it is a restoration shop so they charge by the hour. All in all around $6,500 for this one.
    Likes Ronkh, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

xtremekustomz- Depending on the work you do, that $6500 would be awfully cheap!

Yeah...my regular shop (guys I`ve used for decades, follow them from shop-to-shop when they move) are hours away now and my "good" guy won`t work on "normal"/driver vehicles. My regulars are having, uhm...issues....pleasing me ever since [the new owner] bought their shop as he wants that in-and-out-yesterday insurance work and now I simply don`t know where I`m gonna go next time I need work done My point being that guys like you fill a niche and your customers are lucky to have you.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it isn`t getting me rich but my prices keep going up the more work I put out. This one for sure will be a good one to show my work. I get a pretty good deal on paint and to a point let the customer choose what level products to use. I don`t do single stage or just really cheap stuff that I know won`t last. He was expecting a scuff and shoot for $2500 but I told him I wouldn`t touch it unless it was stripped. He and his wofe talked about it for about 8 hours before giving me the go ahead. People don`t understand the time that goes into something like this. I know a resto shop would be $10-$15k at least
    Likes jtford95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

excited to see this once finished. I used to work as the "porter" in my dad`s old shop growing up (washing cars, etc.) and loved watching the transformation when the odd full paint job would come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Since photobucket has become so annoying to use because it always freezes or really slows my computer down I`m not going to be using it anymore to post pictures I don`t think. I have my own facebook page where I put all of my work now anyway so I`m just going to link to it. It is much easier to put pictures on there and vidoes. Here is the progress on the car so far.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/xtremeku...54265814673182

There is a video tab on the left of a short clip of the blasting.
    Likes bigltc, The Old Dude liked this post

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information