Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 71 Firebird

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 71 Firebird

xtremejustomz- Oh man how I wish I had you local. My body/paint guys have been, uhm...disappointing me...lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    xtremejustomz- Oh man how I wish I had you local. My body/paint guys have been, uhm...disappointing me...lately.
    What have they been doing/not doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    What have they been doing/not doing?
    They haven`t been doing *anything* as I`m a bit displeased by their work these days (both of the places I use).

Eh, I`m just whining....some time I want to have work done on the Tahoe and Crown Vic..and maybe my wife`s A8..but it`s nothing critical. All oughta be pretty simple stuff, nothing tricky IMO.

Biggest gripe is prep marks/sanding scratches appearing later. Been happening on-and-off ever since they switched to water-based paint or at least it seems that way and the shop`s new owner (oh get me going on that guy..) won`t let them redo things the way they used to. (My "good" guy only works on stuff like the Jag and he had an "oops!" that`ll have me [ticked] off for a while until I get used to it.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    They haven`t been doing *anything* as I`m a bit displeased by their work these days (both of the places I use).

Eh, I`m just whining....some time I want to have work done on the Tahoe and Crown Vic..and maybe my wife`s A8..but it`s nothing critical. All oughta be pretty simple stuff, nothing tricky IMO.

Biggest gripe is prep marks/sanding scratches appearing later. Been happening on-and-off ever since they switched to water-based paint or at least it seems that way and the shop`s new owner (oh get me going on that guy..) won`t let them redo things the way they used to. (My "good" guy only works on stuff like the Jag and he had an "oops!" that`ll have me [ticked] off for a while until I get used to it.)
    Well when I mentioned sanding with 180 and priming over it keep in mind that is over primer and filler and not paint. If I prime over featheredged paint I always sand it all the way down to 320. If I`m repairing a dent of something like that I will remove all of the paint with 80 grit and only put the filler on the metal portion. After all the filler work is done I will featheredge the paint with a minimum of 180. Usually 220 and apply a glaze over the whole repair area onto the sanded paint. After that start with 80 and finish up with 180, 220, 320 and then prime. The problem with using a coarse grit on the actual paint and priming over it is that you can get a halo effect once the vehicle sits in the sun. It actually reacts with the sanded paint and takes to it differently than primer, steel or other surfaces. I`ve had to learn this the hard way before. I use guide coat on filler, glaze and primer so I can make sure all the deeper scratches are gone before moving on to prime. I haven`t really done it but the best protection is to use epoxy primer and then do filler on top of that. You don`t have to sand it if you do the work within 7 days. A lot of shops nowdays only do insurance work so it`s getting harder to find someone to really do anything other than that.
    Likes itb76 liked this post
    Thanks itb76 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff man! The 70-73 bull nose is one of my all time favorite cars. I am eventually going to pick one up at some point. I am wanting a Formula with a 4-speed.

Post Thanks / Like

KMG- Yeah, I have a soft-spot for those Formulas too.

xtremekustomz- Yes *yes* *YES*... my issues are over (old) paint and what you posted is what I *told* them the last time. Haven`t been back since then. These guys aren`t the usual, cut their teeth in a *VERY* highly regarded Porsche restoration shop so I have limited tolerance for issues, NO WAY should I be able to tell them how to do their jobs! Eh, I still blame it all on the new owner, who`s utterly trashed things IMO...lucky I have my good Audi tech that they leave alone ("whatever, just do what he wants and bill him..." now if they`d just run the bodyshop that way).

EDIT: in all fairness, some...OK, most.... of the work they did previously is still 100% OK after many years. Zero complaints until recently. And at least they don`t [screw] up the areas they`re not working on. And sheesh...I genuinely *LIKE* those guys! My wife and I have known `em for decades and they`re good people.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a guy in another group telling me that his guy can sand with 1500 and 3000 on a da and then buff and polish a whole car in 2 hrs. Somebody`s on drugs!

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, that`s actually funny...unless you consider what he`d actually do to a vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a little disappointed in the overall finish of the quarter replacement. I was expecting everything to be done on it but it is far from it. Not sure if every shop would have left it like this but it is what it is. The total labor charge for replacement was $1025. I thought that would have included finishing it out but I guess no. I`m left going behind fixing it of course...

I`ve had issues with primer lifting from ecoat (not sure if anyone else has) so I don`t really trust it anymore so I stripped it all off. I re-worked the seam because it wasn`t as smooth as I wanted and removed the unknown primer used. Also the body line on the new quarter was a lot sharper than the one on the rest of the car so I used a little filler to round it off some to match the other.

Went ahead and sprayed the jambs since I am doing this all by myself. I don`t mind having to touch up a door jamb if I scratch it but I didn`t want to risk messing the outside of the door up trying to hang them again. I know it would have been better to paint apart but these doors are extremely heavy and awkward for one person to install. I am using foam and probably transition tape in the jambs when I do the outside so hopefully I can get a nice finish.

Still have some alignment to do but getting it ready for paint. Hopefully I can go Sunday and get it done. I will spend the rest of the day getting everything else ready.

Hood and bumper after final sanding

Wet sanding. Panels are looking really good

Likes Poorboy, Ronkh, nickclark08, Nizmo liked this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

coming along very well ... are you going to paint the doors, fenders, hood and trunk off the car .. mine were done that way and came out really good ...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    coming along very well ... are you going to paint the doors, fenders, hood and trunk off the car .. mine were done that way and came out really good ...
    No it is all going to be on the car. I work by myself and the doors weight about 150 lbs each and are a paint to get back on without messing something up.

Post Thanks / Like

No it is all going to be on the car. I work by myself and the doors weight about 150 lbs each and are a paint to get back on without messing something up.
    yes, I`ve done quite a few of those (Camaro/Firebird) .. and yes with double reinforce steel in the doors they get heavy but can take a t-bone

It`s a shame that you have no one to help lift and fit them after painting ... a padded floor jack would work too .. we used them for helping to align

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    yes, I`ve done quite a few of those (Camaro/Firebird) .. and yes with double reinforce steel in the doors they get heavy but can take a t-bone

It`s a shame that you have no one to help lift and fit them after painting ... a padded floor jack would work too .. we used them for helping to align
    I bought a door dolly that goes on a jack and a new jack just for this. The door has a lot of slop in the fixture and the jack has a tough time staying upright with the weight. I was going to buy a jack that was really heavy duty to use for other purposes but the way the dolly mounts to the jack I was only able to find a few that would work and they were smaller ones. Either way it isn`t a big deal. With a little care a seamless transition in a door jamb is possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a door dolly that goes on a jack and a new jack just for this. The door has a lot of slop in the fixture and the jack has a tough time staying upright with the weight. I was going to buy a jack that was really heavy duty to use for other purposes but the way the dolly mounts to the jack I was only able to find a few that would work and they were smaller ones. Either way it isn`t a big deal. With a little care a seamless transition in a door jamb is possible.
    good luck .. keep us updated

Post Thanks / Like

That`s an impressive finish in primer! At least from what I`ve seen before. Is that in part due to the type of primer you used or just from really careful wet sanding?

Even though I don`t think that I`m a fan of the color choice, I look forward to seeing the progress and can`t wait to see the final finished product!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information