Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Upgraded the wheel tire combo from the ugly 7 spoke wheels and 205/60/16 tires to Acura RSX wheels (9 lbs less each wheel and easier to clean!) with 215/55/16 tires, gaining 1.4" of tread width.`

`

`

Stock J-pipe (connects the precats to the cat back exhaust) is pretty restrictive, ordered the XLR8 V2 j-pipe. Showed 19 hp and 30 lb-ft gains on a TL Type S that other than an AEM cold air intake was stock. Didn`t dyno mine but the gains are very noticeable in the midrange and top end is stronger too. And my car is still quiet.`

`

`

Installed

`

`

Looking at a true cold air intake, AEM V2 seems to make the most power, also considering the 3.7 manifold and ZDX throttle body and maybe even the RL cams. Apparently they make even more power than the TL Type S cams. Just trying to see how much power I can get and keep the car quiet.`

`

Then to address handling (at least starting to...) I got the 20 mm TL Type S rear anti-roll bar to replace my OE 14 mm bar.`

`

`

`

`

Cornering and lane changes are flatter, understeer is noticeably lessened. I have a DC Sport front upper strut bar on order so that should tighten up the front end. Thought about doing the front anti-roll bar but I`d only be upgrading from 25.4 mm to 27.2 mm and the back of the front subframe has to be dropped to do the install. I`ll see how much the FSB helps first. LCA bushings are showing some signs of deterioration, so I`ll replace those with urethane bushings.`

`

`
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    When is the big wing and stickers coming in ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the AEM Brute Force intake on my Titan and love it! Gotta have our toys.

Post Thanks / Like

Wing? I don`t even have any badges! Plus the exhaust is blacked out, you have to really look to see the dual exhaust.`

`

I know some of the TL guys say you don`t really need an intake until you do a lot more mods but the design for the 7th gen Accords isn`t nearly as nice as the TL`s cool air system. The K&N intake, for example, is identical for both cars but makes 10 hp on the lower hp Accord vs 7 hp on the TL. AEM v2 is supposed to make the most power on either. Plus if I do an intake/TB or cams, the extra airflow will be nice.`

`

Best of all, my car looks stock and is barely louder than stock.`
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds more like an anti-ricer lol. Got any before/after of the whole car with the wheel change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by House Of Wax

Sounds more like an anti-ricer lol. Got any before/after of the whole car with the wheel change?

`

Not my picture (too lazy to switch to my PC right now....) of another Accord, same year and color with the OEM wheels.`

`

`

Mine at a similar angle

`

www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely like the new one better. Looks good

Post Thanks / Like

Scottwax- I wouldn`t call those mods "ricer" at all, good moves IMO.` Especially like that it`s not appreciably louder.

`

If you change the cams do you need to retune the PCM/ECU/whatever it`s called on Hondas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Scottwax- I wouldn`t call those mods "ricer" at all, good moves IMO.` Especially like that it`s not appreciably louder.

`

If you change the cams do you need to retune the PCM/ECU/whatever it`s called on Hondas?

The stock ECU will adjust to the added airflow through the engine but to get the best results I`d probably have to go with any aftermarket tuning system and need some dyno time.`

`

Honestly, it would probably be cheaper just to swap in a 3.2 to replace my 3.0, used, low mileage versions aren`t any more expensive than my 3.0 and its a direct swap. Others are doing 3.5 and 3.6 swaps now but that`s not quite as good proof, ECU`s need to be modded (remove/add pins), tuned, etc. But some guys are making pretty big power without any power adders.`
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks way better and probably sounds great too!`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David! Not loud by any means (at least compared to a G35 or BMW 335) but has a nice growl as the rpm build.`
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow it looks really good with the RSX wheels. Just lower it a tad bit and I think it would be flawless.
    Xclusive Autoworks Inc.
    Long Island`s Paint Correction Detailing
    Opti-Coat Pro Certified & Cquartz Finest Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Scottwax- Yeah, dyno-tunes are great, gotta watch the tuner doesn`t mar the paint though ` My white/older/ratty Crown Vic is in a Indianapolis shop at present, and I shudder to think how much worse it`ll be by the time I get it back

`

I gather the rest of`your drivetrain can hold up under a lot` more power.

`

The swaps would sorta spook me...make the car too "different" and I can imagine servicing issues down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WillWashesCars

Wow it looks really good with the RSX wheels. Just lower it a tad bit and I think it would be flawless.

`

Thought about that, needs to come down about 1.5" front, maybe 1" in the rear. Roads are so bad here though...

`
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Scottwax- Yeah, dyno-tunes are great, gotta watch the tuner doesn`t mar the paint though ` My white/older/ratty Crown Vic is in a Indianapolis shop at present, and I shudder to think how much worse it`ll be by the time I get it back

`

I gather the rest of`your drivetrain can hold up under a lot` more power.

`

The swaps would sorta spook me...make the car too "different" and I can imagine servicing issues down the road.

`

3.2 swap has the same service intervals, basically the same engine with a better intake, a little more compression and a bit more displacement. Since the TL is based on the Accord chassis, it bolts right in.`

`

I have the 5 speed automatic and my car has a very late `04 model build date (05/04) that is after the fix to the automatics was made. Plus I`ve made the switch to Honda`s new DW-1 ATF which has friction modifiers (unlike the old Z-1 ATF) which tightened up the shift quality. Firmer, faster shifts mean less slippage and heat build-up. Going to start adding in the Redline D4 ATF now (huge write-up on acurazine about it) that means even better shifts.`

`

J32 swap into a 6MT coupe, XLR8 J-pipe and Borla exhaust, 14.1 at 100:`http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...-1-4-mile.html

`

That`s the base TL engine (rated at 270 hp, then 258 hp when the correction factors were changed) so it isn`t even the TL Type S engine. Pretty decent for two exhaust mods on an otherwise stock engine. BTW, Accords have about a 250 lb weight advantage on the TL.`
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like

Scott-

`

Car looks great... dig the bolt-ons. However, I`m not a Honda guy-- performance wise-- love `em for everything else. `So you`ll have to pardon my lack of knowledge on the car.

`

Anyway, personally, I would strongly consider having that thing tuned. `Not necessarily because you are leaving power on the table but just due to the short-term and long-term fuel trims changes. `(You did reset the ECM after the mods right?) `I would have NEVER believed it but... (always a `but`) I added some long tubes, y-pipe, and a Superchips program to my Dodge Ram 5.7 1/2 ton and 30K later I got the 0420 code. `Replaced the factory 02s and cat with an aftermarket Magnaflow... 5K later... another 0420. `Let`s just say I`ve got 1k in catalytic converters and 02 sensors since the bolt-ons and that is CHEAP because I did all the cutting and welding in my shop. `I ended up doing some things that I won`t mention here to solve the problem. `After I remedied the code issue I eventually I took it to a local shop and my fuel trims and A.F.R. were way out of wack due to the increased scavenging of the exhaust.`

`

So just because it`s not throwing a code now... doesn`t mean it won`t in the future. `At the very least data-log that thing! `(Not trying to rain on your modification fun... really I`m not. `Just don`t want to see what happened to me happen to anyone else!)

`

Anyway, back to the fun!

`

Skip the cold air intake... you would need forced induction to warrant any increase in intake cfm or velocity. `The cost/ benefit just isn`t there.

Again, I`m Honda performance challenged but is a .2 liter increase in displacement really a reason for an engine swap? `Surely there is a shop somewhere that can grind custom cams or has some off-the-shelf profiles for your current V6? `Maybe mill the heads to increase compression and have a good head shop port them? `(I know one if you are looking!) `Combine new cams, springs, headwork, with some good tuning... that Accord could be pretty fun!

`

However, something I`m sure of... I do like the new DW-1 ATF... much better than Z-1.
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information