Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Harris
    I have that exact same scenario on my favored S8 (18k miles, nicer than showroom other than that one occurrence, and so forth and so forth.) and I chose to live with the distinction and I`m extremely happy I did. After [however many] years it doesn`t trouble me the way it once did, and I have more certainty in the unmolested OE paint than I`d have in any repaint, regardless of how great.

You guys do know that there are quite a few instances where vehicles are painted multiple times before they even get to the dealership right? It`s pretty common for them to have damage in transport and have to be repaired. I ran into this a while back on a 2011 F-350 that I repaired a door. It had 3 layers of paint and the guy bought it brand new. Also on the hood I`m putting on my truck has been painted 3 times. Just because a vehicle is bought "new" doesn`t necessarily mean it hasn`t been re-painted. Here is the hood I speak of. Notice you can see the 3 levels of paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz
    You guys do know that there are quite a few instances where vehicles are painted multiple times before they even get to the dealership right? ...

My `85 Jag is a perfect example of that! Oh, the stories that poor thing could tell...starting with why it was mostly repainted half-way through its original manufacture! And a presumed "point of importation" repair barely lasted until it got to the showroom All-in-all it was a perfect example of why those cars had the terrible reputation they did back then (gee, lucky me...still dealing with it, years of frustration).

Never had any such damage on the Audis as long as they were still "in the wrapper" upon delivery, but if I didn`t see the bag/wrap come off I`d be awfully suspicious :nervous: One more reason why my dealer insistted that I take my new-car purchases that way.

The Crown Vics seem to show a lot of this pre-delivery work, so I guess I`m not surprised about your hood having been repainted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Strange thing I`ve seen about these re-paints is that the clearcoat from the last job isn`t even sanded before new coatings are applied so it has to be done at the factory when the paint is still fresh. I know some clearcoats say you have a re-coat window of 24 hours but I`d still be scared to try it. It`s hard to tell in the pic but where the clear feathers out it is still shiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    xtremekustomz- With the factory-use paint supposedly being so different, I suppose that might factor in. I wonder how the baking fits in when they do stuff like this :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know how true it is but I`ve heard a lot of manufacturers use PPG. I would imagine they will just go for the cheapest route. I know the paint on my Nissan is pure crap and will be stripping it down to re-paint one day. I know Klean Strip makes a spray called Jamb & Edge that you can just clean your door jambs well and just spray it on them and then paint. You don`t have to sand. It seems to me that baking the clearcoat on would require you to scuff the surface before applying the next coating unless they use something like the spray and coat the whole vehicle. I`ve talked to a few people that do motorcycles and said they`ve seen Harley Davidson do the exact same thing. When stripping for paint they would get to the lower coatings and it would actually peel off instead of feather out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information