Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am the 2nd owner of my Pikes Peak White 05 350Z. When I bought it I thought to myself "Wow the paint looks great for a Z with 88,000 miles and nearly 5 years old!". I was applying detail spray under the lights in the garage last night and started noticing high and low places in the clear all over the car, random places where it looks like sanding dust under the clear and I even found a place where there are very light sanding marks on the edge of a body line. Another thing I have noticed is that there is no orange peel at all any where and we all know most factory paint has a lot of it but my Z`s paint is butter smooth. Also for a 6 year old car the swirls are extremely minimal which is also odd.



    Does it sound like the car has been repainted? Is there any way to know 100%? I do know that the front bumper has many rock chips but the hood doesn`t at all.



    :hm:

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Posts
    1,288
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could have been repainted, or it could have been wetsanded out by a detailer who did not properly level the paint. If you have a paint thickness guage, check for areas that are much thicker than others. Also check for lines in the door jambs, under the hood, behind tail light assemblies, etc. If it was a so-so job, they may have just taped off the areas instead of removing the parts, etc. just some thoughts.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

  3. #3
    Forza Auto Salon David Fermani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Troy, MI
    Posts
    12,443
    Post Thanks / Like
    CARFAX - Vehicle History Reports and VIN number check and a paint meter are your 2 best friends.



    Keep in mind that trim like bumpers are hand painted and can have some defects because of it.



    Question: Is the frt bumper and or the rear bumper an off color (variance) from the metal body of the car? It should.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

  4. #4
    Brad B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look for evidence of masking ridges and overspray under rubber trim, seals, edges and bottoms of panels, etc.
    The Stable
    2015 BMW M235i
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2012 VW Touareg TDI
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

  5. #5
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    7,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    CARFAX - Vehicle History Reports and VIN number check[/url] and a paint meter are your 2 best friends.


    CarFax is only good for POSITIVE confirmation of previous accident damage. If a CarFax report contains an accident damage entry, you can be reasonably sure that a car has had panels painted. A clean CarFax doesn`t mean ANYTHING. CarFax uses misleading advertising to confuse people into thinking that they are getting a clean car.



    The insurance industry has access to additional claims information, but neither CarFax nor Autocheck show this. Its a total bummer because its a goldmine of information.



    Now on to the PTG. A PTG is a great tool to evaluate paintwork. In most cases it will show you that there is additional paint on the panel, however there are true craftsmen in the auto body industry that can level paint with surrounding panels make repairs virtually undetectable unless you literally tear apart the car.



    So really, the answer is you can never be really sure, however if you see dirt and sanding dust under the clear, you have some paintwork.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some great information guys

  7. #7
    CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    8,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    however there are true craftsmen in the auto body industry that can level paint with surrounding panels make repairs virtually undetectable unless you literally tear apart the car.


    I think we can all agree that those guys are extremely few and far between. It takes a lot of dedication and attention to detail to achieve that level of perfection when refinishing and most painters are nowhere near that level of artistry.
    Charlie
    Automotive Appearance Specialist - Serving Greater Lansing, Michigan
    http://www.cchautoappearance.com/

  8. #8
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    7,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Lil Detlr
    I think we can all agree that those guys are extremely few and far between. It takes a lot of dedication and attention to detail to achieve that level of perfection when refinishing and most painters are nowhere near that level of artistry.


    Absolutely, and these guys don`t work at insurance industry rates, which are pathetic. Around here, insurance rates for paintwork are ~$45/hour. You can`t even get yard work done for that.

  9. #9
    Forza Auto Salon David Fermani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Troy, MI
    Posts
    12,443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    CarFax is only good for POSITIVE confirmation of previous accident damage. If a CarFax report contains an accident damage entry, you can be reasonably sure that a car has had panels painted. A clean CarFax doesn`t mean ANYTHING. CarFax uses misleading advertising to confuse people into thinking that they are getting a clean car.


    Any confirmation is better than none so it’s obviously a valueable tool when results can be obtained.



    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    The insurance industry has access to additional claims information, but neither CarFax nor Autocheck show this. Its a total bummer because its a goldmine of information.


    I agree. Their databases could provide a great deal of benefit to the consumer market.



    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Now on to the PTG. A PTG is a great tool to evaluate paintwork. In most cases it will show you that there is additional paint on the panel, however there are true craftsmen in the auto body industry that can level paint with surrounding panels make repairs virtually undetectable unless you literally tear apart the car.






    Sure, but you can’t level paint in a surrounding blend panels to match factory specs. Therefore the painter needs to be able to panel paint perfectly which *can be done* with the right amount of color tinting and spray out panels in some applications.



    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    So really, the answer is you can never be really sure, however if you see dirt and sanding dust under the clear, you have some paintwork.


    These defects could even be in factory finishes too. Remember, bumper covers are usually manually painted by suppliers. That means there could be the same defects as a local body shop.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like
    by your story am positive that it has been repainted but maybe not all the areas.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Repainted car: what to look for
    By clueless1 in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 10:27 AM
  2. 73 VW bus - repainted
    By Envious Eric in forum Click & Brag -The Detailers Showcase
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 11:59 PM
  3. What to do after just having my car repainted....
    By spotter in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 02:36 AM
  4. Car is getting repainted, need help
    By TI II in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 08:50 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •