Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, the positive battery terminal in my car was completely corroded, so I cut off the end with a hacksaw, and clamped on a new generic terminal from Autozone. I had to cut off that red rubber cover, and the generic part didn`t come with a new one, so my positive terminal is basically exposed.

Do I need to buy a new red rubber cover, or is it okay the way it is now?

And if I do...where can I buy one?

Thanks very much in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    You do not need the rubber cover. It is there to keep debris off. However,I do recommend either using battery terminal grease or a battery terminal O ring that will help reduce and corrosion on the terminal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and Autozone and any other car parts store will have the O-rings or the grease for the terminals at a minimal cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, a few of my cars have exposed terminals (from the factory) and it`s never been an issue.

Just watch that nothing that`s both grounded and conductive contacts the now-exposed positive terminal...including you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Just watch that nothing that`s both grounded and conductive contacts the now-exposed positive terminal...including you

Excellent advice...I agree ... I could easily see somebody leaning on the body/frame with one hand or body part and accidentally touching the positive terminal with a steel tool or the other hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like having the positive terminal open to the elements as it makes it that much easier to ground it out with something like a tool or the battery`s tie-down. Go back to Autozone, or I bet Wal-Mart even has one, and buy the little red cap. It shouldn`t cost you more than a couple dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    Excellent advice...I agree ... I could easily see somebody leaning on the body/frame with one hand or body part and accidentally touching the positive terminal with a steel tool or the other hand.

and? :think:
    Formerly carn00bie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastman
    and? :think:

Not much. Your body doesn`t conduct well enough for 12 volts to be a problem.

Shorting a battery with a metal object could be dramatic, however.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smprince1

HA HA HA thats funny.

Totally impossible, there is this thing called resistence. Its in our skin. the oil conduces voltage true, but the resistence (1.8 mega ohms check with multimeter) is so high that you would need a much higher voltage to overcome it. The worst you can have is a ground out like metal. Just imagine that would mean that you could never wash the engine compartment because electrical shock hazards. Even Spark plug voltage is really high and it will hurt but because of the ultra low amperage, you will feel it but it won`t kill you. It is dangerous to people with insulin pumps or heart pacers as the emi produced by the swift change of voltage can cause failures. so work comfortably it won`t shock you, just keep any metal away while your working.

Please don`t use grease on the terminal not only is it very messy but it sucks for a tech to have to disconnect the battery when they do any kind of work to your car(5 year Master ASE cert.). Any kind of weather resistent spray paint you can find at your hardware store will work great. Its much cleaner and will prevent weathering and possible ground outs.
    Do What Is Right, Regardless of What Others Say.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find this a humorous topic. As others have alluded to...it`s only been in recent years that batteries have had any (grounding) protection at all. In the old days it was just bare terminals...I was pretty impressed that my `82 Chevy had a piece of plastic on the fender lip adjacent to the positive terminal so no one would weld their wrench to the fender...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I find this a humorous topic. As others have alluded to...it`s only been in recent years that batteries have had any (grounding) protection at all. In the old days it was just bare terminals...I was pretty impressed that my `82 Chevy had a piece of plastic on the fender lip adjacent to the positive terminal so no one would weld their wrench to the fender...

Beware though because it can be a can of worms. Your 82 cevy didn`t have voltage and amerage senstive computer controls that rely on a clean contact or it can produce a whole mess of problems.

A simple ground out can cause voltage spikes high enough to overcharge diodes in less than a second, ruining anything that is voltage sensitive.
    Do What Is Right, Regardless of What Others Say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all, yeah, I did put those O-rings and grease on there (sorry ezemsm444), but I`ll head down to the autozone for the red cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ezemsm444
    Beware though because it can be a can of worms. Your 82 cevy didn`t have voltage and amerage senstive computer controls that rely on a clean contact or it can produce a whole mess of problems.

A simple ground out can cause voltage spikes high enough to overcharge diodes in less than a second, ruining anything that is voltage sensitive.

Well, I don`t know how "amerage senstive" they were, and I don`t think I ever "overcharged" my diodes, but my `82 Chevy sure did have a computer, and that car sure produced a whole mess of problems.

Thread Information