Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake Rotors

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, now that the new wheels are in and they expose the caliper and rotor a lot more, I`m looking to upgrade my rotors and paint my calipers. After some research I`ve come across a company called R1Concepts and they have 2 types of rotors that caught my eye.

The first is a zinc plated for rust protection ($119 for 4)

[Rotor #1]

The second option is "E-coated" (I believe this is electrostatic painting) priced at $285 for 4

[Rotor #2]

Which do you think would look the best and which would provide the best rust prevention?
    She says it`s just a car, I say she`s just a girl, it`s not a hobby, it`s a way of living :ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to say..I`d sorta lean towards the "E-coated" being more durable but that`s just a a guess.

Off topic- I hope they did the cross-drilling right. I know there aren`t any drilled rotors that are OK for use on some Chevies (caprices)..the holes aren`t done right and the rotors crack. Those are pretty inexpensive rotors so I dunno if I`d trust `em...a 90 day warranty against cracking wouldn`t give me any peace of mind...but that`s just me and I know you didn`t ask about such stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve noticed a lot of cross-drilled rotors developing fine cracks between the holes so I was thinking of asking them to just slot them.
    She says it`s just a car, I say she`s just a girl, it`s not a hobby, it`s a way of living :ca

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s what I`d do (and what I *did* do on the Caprices ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I don`t want to contribute to the OT, drilled rotors will almost always form stress cracks... if not immediately, then over time.

Slotted rotors are good if you want that extra bit of bite at the track when your pads are fading... but just be aware that they will wear your pads faster regardless. They do look good though, I`ll admit!

If you are tracking your car, a rotor size upgrade will benefit you. It doesn`t increase braking force per se, but rather it increases in heat capacity your braking system can handle before fading and other undesirable effects (when combined with high performance pads, of course).

Heh, but high performance pads do usually bring extra dust and noise, so yea . There are pads that minimize this and are more street-worthy (and have good bite when cold), yet can be used for the occasional track day. Research is your best bet here... the Stoptech website has a LOT of EXCELLENT info

good luck! And keep us updated (I expect plenty of pics)

Post Thanks / Like
    R1 Concept rotors are good. Either set you will be happy with. Now I dont know if you upgraded your GP brakes to 12" brakes. GP`s didnt come with 12" brakes up front like the Monte Carlo and Intrigue.

I have drilled and slotted on both cars, both are auto crossed too. This will be the second season and no problems here!
    BGB Mobile Detailing Service -ASE & I-Car certified Refinishing Technician as of 8/12/08

78 Monte -01 Monte LSX -04 KB Cobra(SOLD) -10 2SS Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, I`ll be getting the brackets to make the front 12".

Monte78Carlo2k1, which rotors are you running?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the R1 rotors on one of my old Lincolns. If I were you I would go with the slotted only as previously suggested. I did have slight problems with the fit, and my mechanic had to do a little adjusting to make them work. I believe all their rotors are Chinese rotors so the quality is not the best, but so far I have not had any problems other than the initial fitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the place I got my last set of rotors for my Monte: www.perfectbrakes.com - buy EBC Brakes products online
    BGB Mobile Detailing Service -ASE & I-Car certified Refinishing Technician as of 8/12/08

78 Monte -01 Monte LSX -04 KB Cobra(SOLD) -10 2SS Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few guys with GAs who have the R1 concepts, they seem to be happy with them. Last year I went and put on slotted rotors though up front, with EBC Greens, holy ****, it is a night and day difference. If I can afford it this summer I might do a rear disc conversion and put the rear slots on, and put on some Hawk HPS pads all around. Brake upgrades are awesome. Also fun to "illustrate" the new stopping power, if you inform your passenger

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stay away from drilled rotors. Will eat up pads like no other and no real benefit over a normal flat rotor for daily driving. Also, hairline cracks can develop between drills rather easily.

You could probably do slotted rotors though. Will still eat up pads, but not near as quick and no fear of cracks. Powerslot is a good name that is well priced.

POWERSLOT - Faster Stops Made Easier

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitethunder46

You could probably do slotted rotors though. Will still eat up pads, but not near as quick and no fear of cracks. Powerslot is a good name that is well priced.

I recommend that brand as well. Have had them on the front of the GA since last summer/fall and they have made quite a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced my rotors with OEM type Brembo replacements last year and they still look as good as the day I mounted them. There is no rust or corrosion of any kind anywhere on the rotor. The Mustang is my daily driver and they see all kinds of weather. I got them from the Tire Rack...

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a set of rotors that are exactly what I`ve been looking for. Very resistant to rust and not cross-drilled.

Black-Dash Disc - the new Black-Dash Discs have a new super quiet slotted design and carry a brand new EPF black coating system that gives the best corrosion resistance ever. The new coating is really a milestone in brake disc corrosion protection. It creates a black gloss finish on the rotor which wears off in the area contacted by the pad and is guaranteed to stay on the remaining areas of the disc for a minimum of two years up to five years. 480 hours salt corrosion tests that we have conducted have proved these results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Elusive
    I found a set of rotors that are exactly what I`ve been looking for. Very resistant to rust and not cross-drilled.

The only thing I worry about with those is, will the brakes break in properly if they have to wear off the coating first?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information